MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re-start - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Re-start - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Re-start (/showthread.php?tid=1594)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-19-2011

I AM ON THE RIGHT TRACK Smile

I was thinking about how I used to practice my vision habits, and I remembered that I used to move lots and lots and I remembered to do it all the time. That was then, and this is now, so I cannot possibly constantly remind myself to move all the time now, otherwise I will get distracted from my homework and things. SO what I have been doing is from when I get up in the morning (6:30) to when I get to school (8:50), I have been concentrating on moving my head mostly, and my eyes as well, and noticing oppositional movement, but NOT practicing anything else, eg. Central Fixation. I guess that that must happen automatically when your movements become smaller anyway. But for 2 weeks (starting last monday) I am only concentrating on moving. Once I can move, I will introduce another habit.

My eyes always used to feel really wierd, but definitely relaxed when I first started, and on Monday morning I felt this again. I haven't felt it since, but I have only been going with this new routine for 3 days now. I don't think about how well I see, or how my eyes are moving (wierdly, becasue I am practicing movement) but only what I see.

So far I have had great results. On Monday I had that great relaxed feeling in my eyes, and a few clear patches - definitely real ones, on the way to school.
Tuesday I could notice a Definite improvement - I could see numberplates on cars from further away than normal, and everything looked sharper for pretty much the whole day.

This morning I got up, and had a 2 minute palming session before I opened my eyes. I imagined I could centralise on the moons of Jupiter, as Bates Mentioned a girl that could focus like this. I also imagined I could see the Tail Number of a plane from the ground, when it was at its cruising altitude. just lots of things that might seem silly to other people, but to me they help Smile I then went downstairs, still moving, and looked at my clock in the kitchen - CRYSTAL CLEAR, absolutely perfect. I was amazed, and looked at my eyechart on the other side of the kitchen, I could see the 20/20, then I looked at the 20/15, then the 20/10 then the 20/8 (OK, I was only 3 feet away, but it still sounds impressive Smile ) - They just seemed to zoom in to focus as I moved. It was amazing. This clearness lasted for the whole time I was having my breakfast and getting ready and revising. About 2 hours in total - I loved it Smile.

Then on the way to school, I was revising, but almost everytime I looked up I could see clearer than I would "Normally."

That happened up until about 12:30 when I arrived at school. I have noticed that I get fewer clear patches at school, so I am off to palm and Imagine I can see a Mouse in the playground from the top of our 5 storey building, or some other situation at school where I have telescopic vision Smile

See you Smile

James Smile

Re: Re-start - seetheleaves - 01-21-2011

Congratulations on all of your progress!! Keep at it! Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-24-2011

thank you very much - i definitely will Smile

Thank you
James Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-24-2011

This week is Centralisation week - I am going to practice Central Fixation as well as movement all week and I'll let you know how I do this time next week. I have just had a sudden realisation about movement - I was looking at a full stop on the physics notes I have infront of me, which is where I literally touched my pen on the page, It is absolutely tiny. Probably about 0.5 mm across if that. Whilst looking at it, and imagining it is the only clear thing as it was in the centre of my vision. Well, Not imagining - I was looking at it from about 14 inches, so it was the only clear thing.

Anyway, I was looking at this tiny tiny dot, and I noticed I couldn't keep my eyes fixed onto it, and indeed when I did, My eye felt like they would "normally" do in the distance. I was looking at even smaller tiny parts of this tiny full stop. Then I realised, I had been making a huge effort to experience movement like this at the beginning of last week, but I had been thinking too much.

I beliveve that people get too absorbed in all the techniques of vision improvement and in all the details. It is easy - Move, Look at one thing at a time, relax. They are all self explanatory. The amount of times I have googled "Bates method tips" and things like that over the last 2 years will be well into the hundreds. My New week resolution, as well as centralising, is to make the Bates Method Simple.

James Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 01-31-2011

I've had loads of clear patches over the last week - I think it was Tuesday I read the new article on the iblindness.org home page, and that has helped sooo much - They have all been really good, and lasted a few seconds, and have just felt wonderful. I've not had any since Saturday, but I'm sure they'll come back when they want to Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 02-08-2011

Hiii - still keeping on the right track, I've taken the new article and started imagining stuff not in the centre of my vision is less clear -= something id never tried before. Its really working Smile I have had a kind of relaxed feeling in my eyes, it feels wierd, but its definitely correct - hard to explain.

Here are a few things I have noticed:
1. Breathe - my priest and someone else I know both have prescriptions in double negative figures - my priests is -11 in each eye :o They don't breathe. When they are sat down then go for about 15 seconds without breathing and then take a huge breath - its quite distressing to hear.

2. Limit yourself - I have had the longest week ever with exams and things, and so now I have just decided that at 9 oclock each night, I stop work and half 9 I am in bed Smile - Its been much better.

3. Believe - this is what I have found hardest, but when I think about seeing stuff in the peripheral worse, It helps. I keep straining when I think, in 7 months I have got my medical exam, and I want my vision to be 20/20 or better by then. However, I believe that I will have that goal acheived - I read about a natural vision theraphist who had exactly the same prescription as me, and in 2 weeks, under relaxed conditions, acheived permanent 20./20. I have got 14 two week periods at least until that, lots of which I am off school for, so it is quite acheivable.

Thanks Smile

james Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 02-14-2011

No Clear Flashes this week so far, but I was thinking, for the final part of last week I was practcing the habits as well as I could, but I had no relaxed feeling in my eyes - do you need to have the relaxed feeling to improve you eyesight?

Ive started going to bed early, and its causing me to be really tired - ill get used to it though Smile

Thanks Smile

James

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 02-27-2011

"perfect site is perfect rest and cannot co-exist with fatigue" Bates

Fatigue is constant exhaustion - that is why obey through last two years my eyesight has not improved. Looks like the summer holidays are going to be my improvement time - I've had loads of clear flashes, especially today, but I always get shattered around 5 pm and then forget to practice.

Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 06-11-2011

Hi Guys,

Just to keep you updated, I have had a definite and permanent improvement. For a few weeks I have been thinking how things in my right eye looked clearer, but I just stopped there, and hoped it was because my right eye had improved, and that it wasn't because my left eye had gotten worse. Two days ago, I looked at my eye chart with both eyes seperately, and discovered I had!!! - I am now at a definite 20/70 in my right eye, forget 20/100 ish that it was in about March.

I have also borrowed some of Greg Marsh's CDs from my friend - I cannot recommend them enough, they are amazing.

I have been just ringing optitions to find one that would be willing to help me with the Bates Method, as I have to provide details about my eyes for when I book my pilot medical next month. I have just spoken to one, who was particularly stubborn that vision improvement doesn't work. When I asked him how come I had experienced such an improvement myself, he basically described what the Bates Method does in a really complicated way. I am still searching for an optition here in the UK that would help me - I refuse to give my business to someone who says NVI doesn't work, and I am living, breathing (and seeing) evidence, even with my slight but definite improvement, that the Bates Method Works.

Thanks,

James Smile

P.s. I am loving the new layout Smile

Re: Re-start - Nancy - 06-13-2011

Jwlboyce (James), my vision fluctuates a lot too. I see it as 1) better than having it never change and be stuck, 2) a sign that it's re-calibrating, trying to figure out how to make it clearer, and 3) natural and normal for a healthy eye which is not caged behind glasses. If you are seeing an overall improvement, which it sounds like you are, I would not worry about the fluctuation -- I'd worry if your vision didn't fluctuate!

Second, about central fixation, you may be doing this more than you realize if you're doing the other habits you mention. Try the looking for a point method David describes, which has helped me, but it's not natural for me yet. Give yourself credit for the progress you're making and don't try so hard to be perfect

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 06-17-2011

Thanks Smile - Ill keep at it, and keep you updated.

James Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 06-24-2011

I've been for an eyetest today, ahead of my pilot medical. I am well within the limits of +5 and -6, being currently at -2.25 and -2.75, but admittedly, I was shocked that my prescription is currently that high :S

On the bright side, I have absolutely no astigmatism, so that is one less thing to be concerned about, and on the even brighter side, I can be a pilot - I have been told that the initial medical standards (+5 to -6) and much higher than the yearly renewals after that, so even if my vision never improved (which I know it will), I can still have a long career as a pilot.

Also, I am currently in the middle of my A-Level exams, so I am a bit strained and extremely fatigued at the moment.

I couldn't resist talking about the Bates Method to the optition though - he said that there are two schools of thought, and always have been. One is that vision can be improved (My chosen school of thought), and One is that vision cannot be improved (His chosen school of thought). He was shocked that I never use glasses, and after a 50 minute discussion after the exam, a few notable quotes he said to me are:

"You are always going to be short-sighted, and nothing you can do will change that."
"You cannot see a thing."
"As you are an educated person, you are going to wear these glasses, aren't you?"

I just took them all with a pinch of salt.

He was jabbering away about my brain just accepting the blur that I have at the minute as normal, and that in fact I could not see birds or planes!!! So, I could not help but ask him howcome I could identify both the type of aircraft and the airline of planes flying over my house accurately, having checked them on computer radar websites. He changed the subject pretty quickly after that question.

Anyway, We made a deal that I will go back when I do have my 20/20 vision, in my airline pilot uniform, with the prescription he issued today. And when that day comes, I cannot wait to see him avoid answering why I can see.

James Smile

Re: Re-start - Nancy - 06-24-2011

James, good for you! Wave the flag of triumph! It's funny how illogical this standard medical opinion is when really held up to the light of reason.

Re: Re-start - seetheleaves - 06-25-2011

YAY JAMES!!
well, WE all know why you can identify planes flying over your house. congratulations on officially moving forward towards your pilot's license!

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 07-22-2011

Hi,

After a very intensive and fairly stressful week of control, co-ordination, personality, and just about every other kind of aptitude test, and medical exams, you can think of, I have been offered a place to start pilot training in November, so I can fly!!!

I have 4 months to relax now, and hopefully have some vision improvement Smile The optition who gave.me my medical had a very intersting discussion with me however. He told me that I was right on the limit for eye muscle imbalance, as I cannot focus up close very well with my glasses on. He predicted it was because I didn't wear then and so was not used to them, which I would probably accept.

He had read Dr. Bates' book, perfect sight without glasses, and called it anecdotal, claiming that his theories were based on theories of accomodation accepted in 1910, which have now been disproved. He also said, unlike the optition last month, that people have a genetic disposition for eye problems, which is ultimately determined by their environment, i.e. if they strain. To me this also made perfect sense.

He also was of the opinion, having never seen primary evidence to suggest otherwise. This is where I still have the problem - I can honestly say that he would thoroughly convince me to his point of view, if he could just explain whyand/or how people, such as Esther Van De Werf, have improved their visual acuity from 20/50 to 20/10, and why if the environment could cause myopia etc., why could it also not take it away?

Unfortunately I did not have time to ask him these questions, nor the intension, lest he refuse to give me a medical certification to fly.

Hopefully in the coming months before I commence training, with God's help as well, I will experience some improvement in my eyesight. Even a 0.25 dioptre improvement would give me a notion that it is possible. However, should such a thing not happen, I am afraid my quest for natural clear vision will have to be postponed, for at least 15 months, the training being extremely demanding, with no let-ups for trying too hard, and ultimately failing, to see.

James Smile