MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Re-start - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Re-start - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Re-start (/showthread.php?tid=1594)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: Re-start - Nancy - 07-22-2011

If you try to do close work with distance glasses on, you will get "nearpoint stress" and if you tell the eye doctor about it you will be given a stronger prescription. This is the cycle of progressive myopia kids get in who get glasses because they can't read the blackboard, and are then told to wear them all the time.

Re: Re-start - JMartinC4 - 07-22-2011

Nancy Wrote:If you try to do close work with distance glasses on, you will get "nearpoint stress" and if you tell the eye doctor about it you will be given a stronger prescription. This is the cycle of progressive myopia kids get in who get glasses because they can't read the blackboard, and are then told to wear them all the time.
Absolutely True!!
And you won't even notice it happening.
Your worse eye will become your dominant eye. (Probably because the optician brings both eyes to as close to 20/20 as possible, ruining the normal better eye dominance and confusing the brain/mind.) What you probably have right now is better eye over-dominance and worse eye submission. What you want is a slightly dominant better eye, which knows how to share the dominance/leadership when necessary with the non-dominant but not submissive worse eye.
We normally start out with equally visioned eyes, and one naturally becomes slightly dominant and slightly stronger. Having your better eye slightly dominant enables you to make faster more accurate decisions. Just like having a dominant right or left hand or foot (i.e., I'm right-hand dominant and my right hand works better/stronger/more accurately than the left; but they still often have to work together. Sometimes I have to reach and grab with my left. Similarly with the eyes, sometimes the left should lead - but an overdominant right eye constantly jumps in front, pushes the left away, and prevents the left from contributing.)
Having the worse eye dominant probably promotes further abnormal skewed visual development, resulting in ever-worsening myopia until some lowest common denominator of vision is reached for you.
(Suppose that at the age of 11, having already established my overly-strong right handedness, scientists decided that neither hand was strong enough and that both hands should be of equal strength and dominance, contrary to nature - but instead of showing me how to gradually change my habits of use to develop my left hand and become more ambidextrous, they instead forced some contraption on me that did all the work for me like magic! - I would learn nothing, and when I took the contraption off, I wouldn't even know which arm was better and both arms would probably become further atrophied.)

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 07-23-2011

I see what you mean, so for the less dominant eye they would give a higher prescription, making it equally as dominant as the other eye?

I did think that part of this eye muscle imbalance could be caused because my glasses correct me to 6/5 - about 20/15, so therefore it might be harder for me to focus up close?

James Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 08-28-2011

Hi guys,

I have some good and some bad news.

The bad news is that, for now, my Bates Method journey has come to an end - after 4 years of practice, I have suceeded in increasing my prescription from -0.5 to -2.5, which shows that I have been straining and practicing the wrong habits.

I have recently been issued a pair of contact lenses, as I know, just like everyone on here, that glasses aren't for me. There is also a safety concern for pilots wearing glasses, with image distorsion, and blindspots caused by the frames.

The good news is that I most certainly haven't given up on vision improvement - I am determined to do my part within my lifetime to prove that myopia and other eyesight malfunctions are not genetic, as my optition reminds me on each visit. I have.just under three months before I start pilot training, and in that time, amongst other things, I am going to form the basis for my research, and if its alright with David I'll definitely get you guys involved with my investigation.

I completely believe that there is a way to improve eyesight, and although I have opted for correction at this time, I know that together we will find a way to scientifically prove that vision can be improved naturally, and I know that we on iblindness.org will be able to carry on where Dr. Bates left off, and using modern concepts and technology we will convince the optical industry that eyesight can be improved naturally.

I would love to get as many people involved with this investigation as possible.

James Smile

Re: Re-start - sorrisiblue - 08-28-2011

sorry to hear the bad news Sad did you ever find a teacher to work with? Could help.

pilot training sounds exciting though!

what is the research you want to do?

There are studies that have been published that have disputed the claim that myopia is genetic. Wish I would have saved the links, but I'm sure you can find them during your time off.

Demonstrate to normal people that natural vision improvement is possible, and the commercial industries will catch up later. 'convincing' usually doesn't work.

Re: Re-start - JMartinC4 - 09-01-2011

JWLBOYCE Wrote:Hi guys, I have some good and some bad news. The bad news is that, for now, my Bates Method journey has come to an end - after 4 years of practice, I have suceeded in increasing my prescription from -0.5 to -2.5, which shows that I have been straining and practicing the wrong habits.
I have recently been issued a pair of contact lenses, as I know, just like everyone on here, that glasses aren't for me. There is also a safety concern for pilots wearing glasses, with image distorsion, and blindspots caused by the frames.
The good news is that I most certainly haven't given up on vision improvement - I am determined to do my part within my lifetime to prove that myopia and other eyesight malfunctions are not genetic, as my optition reminds me on each visit. I have.just under three months before I start pilot training, and in that time, amongst other things, I am going to form the basis for my research, and if its alright with David I'll definitely get you guys involved with my investigation.
I completely believe that there is a way to improve eyesight, and although I have opted for correction at this time, I know that together we will find a way to scientifically prove that vision can be improved naturally, and I know that we on iblindness.org will be able to carry on where Dr. Bates left off, and using modern concepts and technology we will convince the optical industry that eyesight can be improved naturally. I would love to get as many people involved with this investigation as possible. James Smile
You can definitely count me in.
Of course, I would also like to convince the optical industry that eyesight development is being stunted and skewed unnaturally at birth through the use of unnecessary neonatal eye antibiotics, and that the stunted-skewed visual development is the root cause of most of the common myopia (or at least the increase) seen in children, pre-teens, teens, and young adults.
Let me know how I can help.

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 09-03-2011

Thanks for the advice guys, and for your offer of helpingJmartinC4 .

I have reached the first hurdle already - Bates discusses Helmholtz's theory of accomodation, however I have been speaking to an optition who said that that theory had been disproved. According to Wikipedia it is still the most popular, but does anyone know anything otherwise?

Thanks,

James Smile

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 08-29-2012

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that my journey with the Bates Method has come to an end.

I started wearing contact lenses last year, before I started the groundschool for my pilot training, and to be honest it is the best thing I have ever done. I remember walking out of the optitions and thinking "how on earth have I lived for so long without being able to see like this."

My eyes are corrected to 6/3, which my optition explained in great length about to me. He said that my eyes need a -3.25 lens in front of them for their correction, and so as not to strain when I see things. He said that two people could have the same prescription as me, one who can see 6/3, and the other who can see 6/9 - the dioptres of correction has no correlation with what you can read on the Snellen Eye Chart.

Before I wore lenses, I imagined that they would hurt my eyes, and that they would constantly feel under strain, but it is the complete opposite - sometimes I even go to bed with my lenses in, then remember that I have not taken them out!

My journey with the Bates method has by no means been wasted though. The knowledge I have gained about eyes through it helped tremedously in one of our exams, which was about human psychology and anatomy.

I definitely believe that some theoretical elements of the Bates method are correct, but I think that some of the practical elements are lacking. For example, stress degrades vision. My Pilot groundschool was by far the most stressful thing I have ever done. 7 months, 40 exams, and 3 feet of textbooks (no exaggeration!). It was intense, and stressful, and my eyes got 1 dioptre, and 3/4 of a dioptre worse over the 7 months.

I do not want to discourage anyone else from practicing the Bates Method - I have tried it, and it has not worked for me. Others have had success within weeks.

Hopefully there will be a day when everyone can enjoy natural clear vision, but until then I'm afraid I'll be wearing contact lenses and glasses.

Happy Landings,

James Boyce.

Re: Re-start - Nancy - 08-30-2012

It's not either-or. You can still practice Bates techniques while wearing corrective lenses (under-corrected, I hope), though of course you're better off if you're not wearing them much.

Second point: my behavioral optometrist said when he prescribed the correct glasses for someone, they often gave a sigh of relief when they put them on, they could see so much more comfortably. You will be straining if your glasses are too strong, and may also be straining if they're too weak, since you'll be "trying to see" all the time. Start where you are -- if you need glasses to function, wear them, and also keep up the Bates practices. Keep some part of your awareness on your vision, and you might be surprised to notice you can sometimes see better than you thought you could. Good to hear from you again.

Re: Re-start - cezar - 08-30-2012

hey, don't give up so easily. I think that the prize is really worth it, and from what is written is Bates book, the sight is small amount of it. I have no idea how it must feel, I do not even recall how it was for me to see things damn clear, but if you achieve this you will be completely different person, with different personality, better memory and ridiculously better approach to life, probably your life will finally have better meaning to yourself.

Problem with W.H.Bates was that he fought he merely started new chapter in medicine, he did not foresee as probably other good guys like Bruno Groening and others that there will be people who do not want others to achieve the greatest thing in history of mankind: boring, plain and normal life and awareness to live it to fullest extent.
Bates thought that others would come and excel at the very foundation he established, but except of being the first one, he is sadly the last man standing, we are left with his sketches, thats all we've got. And the whole industry wants him to be foresaken.

It would be great to have someone who would support us on this journey, someone like Bates who could diagnose people within an hour, but the more I see the more I am aware of the fact that this may be the moment of truth you have to face on your own, one can be very lonely in this process. Look for the answers, if you are tired, rest, after great search the answers actually come to you. Just do not forget what you wanted, do not let it slip. Those are ridiculously easy exercises, thats why you need to understand them in smallest detail and find what works for you. Good luck on this.

Re: Re-start - JWLBOYCE - 08-30-2012

I do not give up easily, but I also don't want to live my life without the most important sense - vision. I have tried the Bates Method, and it has not given me any vision improvement, in fact in the 4 years that I did practice it, my eyes got 3 dioptres worse.

In my opinion, the Bates method is an ideal. As you say - if you are tired, go to sleep: Simple. Now imagine that you are fighting in a war. After a week without proper food, living out of a tent, and hiking over mountainous terrain carrying your 30kg (or more) bag, you get attacked by the enemy. But you are tired, so you go to sleep. At it's basics, yes - you are tired, so you sleep. But the real world takes over.

I am a more relaxed person because of the Bates method, but I'm afraid I've tried it, and my eyes haven't improved. I wear contact lenses now - I can see better instantly.

I can't wear reduced presciptions due to my line of work, and if I could I probably wouldn't. I spent 4 years on it, so now it's time to move on.

Good luck to you all.

James

Re: Re-start - Pikachu - 08-30-2012

JWLBOYCE, I'm sorry to see that you've decided to move on. Whether it is for better or worse I do not know, but I hope things turn out for the best for you.

That said, I do not think that the Bates method is an unreachable ideal, but is a challenge, like many of the goals we strive to accomplish in life. People have done it. We're all different and we all have different situations, and in the end, we must all decide for ourselves whether we should keep going or whether we should call it quits.

Re: Re-start - clarknight - 08-31-2012

Pikachu, that's a good post.

Bates stated time and time again how the vision fluctuates even in normal eyes; its normal and the vision always returns to clear. It's good to know this, it takes the pressure off. When people are working with the Bates method, improving their vision sometimes others will keep hassling you to prove your state of improvement, they will try to put the method down, discourage you, hope you do not pass their test; especially when you start to be successful.

When you go for a eye exam; try to pick a day when you have little stress, been eating good and practicing relaxed shifting...

Re: Re-start - Daniel - 03-10-2013

This is a sad story. JWLBOYCE's story reminds me of my own, except that my myopia was and is far worse than his. Any ideas on what JWLBOYCE did wrong?

Re: Re-start - eaglevision - 03-11-2013

Most people have difficulties doing bates method, but I think once a person finds the correct doorway to the Type of relaxation that is required and that bates talks about, it is just a matter of time before a person reaches for the handle and opens it. Sometimes people take months or years to understand what is required. I remember when I used to palm 4 hours and swing 2 hours everyday for months on end with only flashes. And the first time I ever had a long flash (5 and a 1/2 days) was when I was ill for a week and told myself I was going to take a break from vision improvement. What I understood from this was that I cant reach out and get my vision but it has to come to me. And so my palming and swinging was done in a desperate attemtpt to get clear vision. And that running to it is infact running away from it, and if I stop running it will eventually catch up to me. I am far from perfect but I think I understand a little of what is required.

The type of relaxation required is a sparkling and vibrant type, not of laziness I previously thought. Imagine a person who climbed to the peak of a mountain, how would he feel at the top? or a person who has written the last page of their book. This type of relaxation causes mental peace and relaxes all the muscles of the body.

Try to reduce or stop whatever is making you mentally reach out and grab your vision. And re-do things in a new way with this New type of vibrant relaxation. And then now you can realize what is bringing you closer or further away from vision improvement. An easy small step I do, is when I go to sleep I consciously relax all my muscles and let everything sink in and feel happy for a few minutes. This way you have 8 hours of a more relaxed body and mind as you sleep. And you will likely have nice vision and relaxed body upon awaking, and this will give a good start to any day. When the whole body is relaxed, flashes naturally come to you and they are more frequent and more lasting.