MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Central fixation versus movement - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Central fixation versus movement - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Central fixation versus movement (/showthread.php?tid=1607)

Central fixation versus movement - hammer - 09-19-2010

Central fixation is a way to get your eyes to move naturally, this was Bates intention,
because if you just see a point then of course you need to constantly move your central awareness from point to point automatically.
Movement of your eyes is even so important and essential that your mind was designed not having to think about it.
So this means that you should only focus your central awareness on a point of interest.
Thus you should not focus your awareness on movement, because it is taken care of automatically, thus don't bother your mind about movement even though it is essential for your eyes.
Your peripheral vision shows a map of objects that are of interest to you.
The interest of your mind is selecting what to look at in this map.
Thus your interest is the catalyst to movement.
You need to wake up your curiosity rather than having to focus on movement,
because if you are curious then you automatically selects a point of interest.
I think nearsighted people have trouble to select what interests them because of lacking curiosity.
You need to be a child again in some way, or fall in love, or do something that interests you !
For instance my dad is really interested in flowers and he has perfect sight, I don't think it is a random coincident,
a botanical interest is defenitely good for your eyesight.

Re: Central fixation versus movement - Andrea Major - 09-19-2010

Well said, Hammer! At a young age, I was very interested in stones and I am beginning to re-awaken this hobby to feel better and improve my relaxation/imagination/palming skills. But I think many myopes are very interested in something close to their eyes already, such as reading, and that's why we could retain central fixation at a close range. Interest and inablility to see at the far point have probably gone down together and it is difficult to say for sure which has caused which, kind of like a "which-was-first-the-chicken-or-the-egg" argument. I play ball games outside now almost every day, (since the beginning of my treatment) and that is raising my interest and comfort in looking far away. I can recommend to anyone to do that! When having an off day with the Snellen, just get a bouncy ball and start tossing it around the house (if you have no backyard or whatever) just watch the windows and fragile decoration! :-)

Re: Central fixation versus movement - hammer - 09-20-2010

Andrea Major Wrote:Well said, Hammer! At a young age, I was very interested in stones and I am beginning to re-awaken this hobby to feel better and improve my relaxation/imagination/palming skills. But I think many myopes are very interested in something close to their eyes already, such as reading, and that's why we could retain central fixation at a close range. Interest and inablility to see at the far point have probably gone down together and it is difficult to say for sure which has caused which, kind of like a "which-was-first-the-chicken-or-the-egg" argument. I play ball games outside now almost every day, (since the beginning of my treatment) and that is raising my interest and comfort in looking far away. I can recommend to anyone to do that! When having an off day with the Snellen, just get a bouncy ball and start tossing it around the house (if you have no backyard or whatever) just watch the windows and fragile decoration! :-)

I'm doing this Smile. It is fun. I like frisbee too Smile. Yesterday I tried my mountainbike and found that it was actually really good. There are a lot of daily activities that is good for your eyes if you just keep in mind to use the central fixation. Actually just walking I think is the best way to train your eyes, i.e. focus on a point and just move around. Dancing is good too, but I'm not always in the mood to dance so walking is much better for me.
Regarding near focus interest: I think the problem is that you should read without glasses, and myopes use glasses. Reading is not worsening your sight if you just take off your glasses and cool down a bit, in fact I think reading can improve your vision if you just read without glasses.

Re: Central fixation versus movement - Ares - 09-20-2010

Going out without glasses, or doing anything (even playing video games), is good for the eyes.
But nothing can compare with just a walk outside on a sunny day. 8)