MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Find a Bates Teacher (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training (/showthread.php?tid=1609)

Pages: 1 2

Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - clarknight - 09-22-2010

I have been searching for a good Bates Teacher to train and Certify me as a Natural Vision Improvement Teacher.
Need a Home Study course as I cannot travel due to injury and cost of travel, housing during the training. Found this man:
Roberto Kaplan, Optometrist, Teacher... Dr. Kaplan's 'Healthy Eye's Program'. His book: Seeing Without Glasses - A Step-By-Step Approach To Improveing Eyesight Naturally. Also wrote: Conscious Seeing - Transforming Your Life Through Your Eyes.
Seems to be good. A honest guy. Reading his free book pages at Amazon. Good priced course: about $1188.00.

http://www.beyondword.com/authors/detail/1344/roberto_kaplan
This is a heck of a lot better price than the $5000.00-$7000.00 price for on-line or in person courses offered to me by other teachers.
Tom Quackenbush and Greg Marsh have a good price for Teacher Training but no on-line, must travel.

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - clarknight - 09-24-2010

Still investigating teachers - Must be truely natural Bates Teacher,- NO plus lenses, no fusion exercises in wrong way.
Hope this guy is good, will see.

Sept. 24, 2010- Vacation for first time in 7 years! Too dam hard to find a truly natural Bates Teacher to certify me as a teacher on-line. Think I may prefer to be only a graduated student forever!!! Dr. Bates says even children can teach the Bates Method.
My arms are numb from typing new book upgrade with this still partially misaligned neck from the dishonest chiropractor and only 90% fix by the almost honest ones interfering with my ability to do final book upgrade. Even eyes convergence now messed up by these guys bad neck vertebrae alignments and, I will no longer do the fusion exercises advertised by some vision teachers! Goofs up the eyes convergence, accommodation! Maybe try physical therapy again, they were honest in the past and it worked great.
See you in 30 days.

Clark Night

Any suggestions, experience with teachers on -line??? Frig this, I'M GOING TO STAY AS A STUDENT!!!

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - David - 09-24-2010

Honestly with your level of knowledge, you might pick up a few things from some teachers with lots of experience, but most of it is going to be things you already know or things that aren't really useful. If you want to pick the brain of a teacher, it might be all around better for you to try to get with them one-on-one and cut through all the stuff you already know.

Dave

Thanks, Really bored , stressed over ol this.

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - DaniFixe - 09-25-2010

How many cost is to be student of Tom Quackenbush ?

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - clarknight - 09-26-2010

I think Tom is only $1500.00-$2000.00.
Gerg Marsh will train me for about the same or less. Offered me a very low price and good housing in Colorado.
I think I am going to just save up money and travel to one of these guys. They stay with the natural Bates Method.
Was going to try on-line training with 2 different teachers but one, I recently found out sells, teaches Plus Lens treatment: Says its his special way of using some kind of lens for reduced lenses, sounds vauge about it, cant understand him.
I dont want to fool around with any type of Plus Lenses. Too harmful to the eyes. And dont want my students to follow a teacher of mine that advises this stuff.
Also; some teachers teaching Fusion exercises like 3-cups and a 3-cups like exercise for reading: I dont like these. Twice has goofed up my convergence or divergence: have tried the fusion lately as stated in other post and now second time end up with my left eye moving outward slow, sputtering, can see this in the mirror and right eye like frozen or moves so fast cant see it in mirror. Did cause me double vision and other weird stuff and headaches - 6 days. Still recovering from neck injury so I may be more prone to this exercise messing me up, but I notice the Bates method does not goof up my eyes.
Cambridge for Better Vision Course states not to do these fusion 3-D exercises if the eyes have any type of Strabismus. Thomas Quackenbush advised me against 3-D image exercises years ago.
Today been reading Davids old post about Strabismus and doing his relaxation... method and eyes were better today walking downtown and not so spacey, slow on computer. Less cross-eyed feeling, images.

(I dont mean the close and far swings/switching: thats ok.)

Thanks again for the replys,

Clark

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - clarknight - 09-26-2010

No more this man: Also says something I cant understand about Plus Lenses. Too bad cause otherwise lot good stuff I want to learn.
clarknight Wrote:I have been searching for a good Bates Teacher to train and Certify me as a Natural Vision Improvement Teacher.
Need a Home Study course as I cannot travel due to injury and cost of travel, housing during the training. Found this man:
Roberto Kaplan, Optometrist, Teacher... Dr. Kaplan's 'Healthy Eye's Program'. His book: Seeing Without Glasses - A Step-By-Step Approach To Improveing Eyesight Naturally. Also wrote: Conscious Seeing - Transforming Your Life Through Your Eyes.
Seems to be good. A honest guy. Reading his free book pages at Amazon. Good priced course: about $1188.00.

http://www.beyondword.com/authors/detail/1344/roberto_kaplan
This is a heck of a lot better price than the $5000.00-$7000.00 price for on-line or in person courses offered to me by other teachers.
Tom Quackenbush and Greg Marsh have a good price for Teacher Training but no on-line, must travel.

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - clarknight - 09-27-2010

That weird convergence eye problem is getting better. Still some sputter, skipping visual effect. Turned out to be:
Migraine, Sinus, tension headaches all at once! Lot of neck, head, eye muscle tightness and then the fusion exercises experiment really goofed up the eyes convergence, divergence.
Greatful to David and this forum; I was able to read the relaxation and other directions and let my mind stop freaking out, stop trying hard to control the eyes, vision. It works!
I admire people that have alot of strabismus and cured it. Just this tiny bit scared me!

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - DaniFixe - 09-28-2010

In my country i only pay 1000$ per year to study in University. How can we show to the people that there is an easy natural way to improve their eyesight if some teachers demand prices above 2000$ for only a couple of months ?

"Why should our children be compelled to suffer and wear glasses for want of this simple measure of relief ? It costs practically nothing (...) Everyone in the war zone, no
matter how far behind the lines, may need this knowledge to relieve his own pain, and everyone may need it to relieve the pain of others" - William Bates

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - JMartinC4 - 09-28-2010

DaniFixe Wrote:In my country i only pay 1000$ per year to study in University. How can we show to the people that there is an easy natural way to improve their eyesight if some teachers demand prices above 2000$ for only a couple of months ? "Why should our children be compelled to suffer and wear glasses for want of this simple measure of relief ? It costs practically nothing (...) Everyone in the war zone, no matter how far behind the lines, may need this knowledge to relieve his own pain, and everyone may need it to relieve the pain of others" - William Bates
You could start a Natural Vision Improvement Club. It could be under the auspices of the Department of Psychology. Or under the aegis of Student Activities. Or just on your own initiative. It would be scorned and disparaged by most authorities, but university students are by and large unbiased, curious and intelligent. And in dire need of just such a club. You would be welcomed by a large segment of the student body. It would be much like the experience on this website - but even better. They would very quickly sort out many of the issues and proposed solutions we have been discussing. You would be doing a great service to your university and your country.

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - Ares - 10-22-2010

Do you actually need a diploma? :o

Can't you just print one yourself and put it in the wall?

Even if you have a Physician's Degree and a PHD in Psychology, you are going straight t the same category as ufologists and televangelists anyway...

Also, if the Bates method is taken by the "Scientific Community" as false science, what difference dose it makes the diploma?

Well, i speak based on the situations here...

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - clarknight - 10-26-2010

My latest experience in Boston, MA

Natural Eyesight Improvement Teachers must give free lessons.
There are hundreds of schools, websites, advertising Natural Vision Improvement for about $40.00 to $500.00+. Very few provide free, complete, genuine training. I understand that they must charge a price to exist as a teacher, pay their bills for housing… but some teachers are becoming as greedy as the Optical and Drug Industry. There are teachers that have organized together and are trying to raise the price to be trained as a Bates Method Natural Vision Improvement Teacher to $10,000.00 and up and may be trying to pass laws preventing students, the public from being teachers unless they pay this price. If that law passes, the price will be raised again. This is exactly like the corruption that exists in the Medical Profession, Drug Industry. Colleges are corrupt, charging thousands of dollars to be a Doctor, Optician, Optometrist, Ophthalmologist… Only the wealthy can go to college.

Bates method already FREE - sorrisiblue - 10-27-2010

hi clark, can you be more specific? What kind of a law? I don't understand how a law can be passed about the Bates method when the medical profession doesn't recognize the method and there isn't really a unified group of all Bates method teachers.

I think there's nothing to worry about. They might make a splash in an attempt to make the method more 'credible' by making the teachers go through more rigourous training. But the backlash from other teachers not included in this will just make the whole method look weak and corrupt from the inside, which will ruin the public perception yet again anyway.

You've started an interesting discussion point though about how the Bates method teachers are so disjointed and poorly organzied!
Although it would cost some money, I don't think the idea to unify Bates people is a bad idea. Look at the Alexander technique. It started at the same time as Bates. But since the members unified, made a code of conduct and a professional society out of it that documents cases, they are successful and recognized. In the end that helps more people than not being organized. You could argue that the Bates method is organized because there are international Bates method conferences each year, but they don't actually function as a group in practice. Here's what I think:

The Bates method hasn't unified because:
1. teachers have very different opinions on the basics: use of sunlight, glasses, and practicing methods.
2. that means each teacher is going it alone, setting up their own group, hence the confusion of having not just the Bates method, but the Goodrich method, the Bershak method, ...
3. since they don't agree on how to teach students, they won't agree on how to teach teachers, so there is no single best method to become a teacher (except in my opinion to improve your own sight and then get experience helping everyone else you know)
4. so if the teachers aren't helping each other, they aren't sharing what actually works and more importantly what doesn't work. If they all started sharing their statistics about how many people they actually help in the long run or if they would talk about cases that didn't improve and discuss why, they'd all get better right? But my guess is each one has such a low success rate that they aren't willing to divulge this information. No one wants to be the dumb kid, even if that means that by showing your weakness, you can make it a strength.

In my own opinion I think an organization that united Bates teachers and got them to nail down a code of practice would be great. I think that's what the BAVE and the other BAVE tried to do, and they didn't agree, and that's why they are split, and that's why many teachers don't associate with either. too bad. they all lost out on a great opportunity.

The other point you mentioned is about free lessons. I'm going to have to start a friendly argument on this point! I agree that greed and price fixing is bad, but I think Bates teachers deserve to get a fair price. And the going rate for someone else's personal time in any profession is usually $20-$150 per hour depending on experience. And if you can't afford that...

The Bates method is already FREE. With all the information on iblindness.org and central-fixation.com and cleareyesight.info, all the free info is there for anyone to teach themselves to improve their eyesight for free. The shortcut to actually spending the time and commitment to teach oneself (free) is to pay someone. And that someone is a bates method teacher, who probably spent a lot of unpaid time learning the method properly, and now has bills to pay. I don't see a problem!

There is the issue that Clark Night raises about how much it costs to become a Bates method teacher. And the issue that Ares raised that since the qualification isn't recognized anyway, you might as well just print your own certificate. keep in mind they might use some of the cost to insure themselves or to get legal advice on this complicated topic. by being more well known, they are more vulnerable to lawsuits, we have to look at this from both sides. A good teacher will also spend a lot of time preparing for the course, as well as providing future help. The cost has to reflect this! $2000 is a fair price in my opinion if you want someone else to teach you to be a teacher.

Clark, if you are already successfully teaching people, then you are already a teacher! And if you want help, perhaps ask someone like Esther or Tom or Meir if you can do an apprenticeship with them. That way you learn on the job so to say, and might be able to do something useful that means they don't need to charge you for it.

And JMartinC4 made a great point for everyone: start a group, we all learn faster in groups. I try and promote that on my blog as much as I can. Don't just read about this stuff online. Get some friends together and do it. That is as unified, successful, and free as the Bates method can get.

What I've learned from teaching my friends in person, and people online, is to keep it simple. Don't overload them with too much info. The second person I tried teaching I taught him everything at once. He ended up quitting it because it was too much information, not enough demonstration. Now I know better. Often, just the suggestion that their eyes will improve is enough to make it happen (I have 3 friends who were prescribed glasses, then never needed them after I talked to them about my improvement, and how to palm). So how about that as a thread! Everyone can respond with what they've learned (mistakes and successes) when they taught others.

Re: Bates Method Teacher Certification Training - clarknight - 10-27-2010

Hi,
Good idea, I think often of just staying as a student teaching others.
I will try that Psychology Bates Club!
Good point danifix, the poor need free and low cost Bates training. Wealthy people must reallize there are people in the world that have little money even for food, cloths.
I dont mind the Bates teachers organizing, if its only for the good of it. I dont like the teachers I have recently contacted (one is member of organization), wants $10,000.00 for teacher training, says the price is going up and she can never be sure of quoting me correct price, says she is in this group... Everytime I set a date, she raises the price again.
Maybe does not like my website. Price was only 2500.00 before she realized I had the free help on the iInternet.
$2500.00 is a fair price and I was going to pay more, but this is getting too weird.
I cant give her name because she is well known and I dont want get in a arguement.
Tom Q. and Greg marsh, Meir are all on my webiste, posted as fair, good priced teachers; There are good ones.
The reason I have not taken teacher training from Tom, Greg is I cant travel with this broken neck. Not yet.
I am aware of human nature for some people. Greed does oversome some of these other teachers. I see it in the future.
I hope you are right about the good teachers preventing the bad ones from becoming like the optical industry.

Clark