MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
What can i do with lenses on? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
What can i do with lenses on? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: What can i do with lenses on? (/showthread.php?tid=168)

What can i do with lenses on? - Scarecrow - 09-04-2006

As it's shcool start i will have to use lenses, but still I don't want to throw away so many hours. Are there any excercises i can do with the lenses on to keep training them?

Re: What can i do with lenses on? - Beetle - 09-04-2006

If you're talking about your prescripted glasses I don't believe there is any method of training while the glasses are on, wouldn't make any sense. My advice is to use your prescripted glasses only when necessary, when required reading or observation. Take them off when you don't need them.

Re: What can i do with lenses on? - David - 09-04-2006

Yep, and every time you're about to put them on, take a few seconds, or more if you can, to actually look at and around what you want to see, without pushing or forcing your eyes... just waiting. Then if you still don't see it well enough and feel that you absolutely need to, put your glasses on. Glasses are like a drug, and people get completely dependent on them beyond reason.

Dave

Re: What can i do with lenses on? - Scarecrow - 09-05-2006

I have to wear them at school for my future's sake, but still i would like to "keep the progress" so when my next vacation comes, i can continue making progress. I'm currently using a plus lens with my minus contact lenses on when on the computer, so i am around my natural vision. That should work a bit i hope.

Re: What can i do with lenses on? - David - 09-05-2006

Scarecrow,

I don't recommend wearing a pair of contacts and glasses at the same time. You have two levels of artificial distortion and filtering instead of one, or instead of none.

I always discourage everyone to stop wearing contacts no matter what. I have too hard a time imagining how anyone can improve their vision with foreign objects in their eyes, and I haven't heard of anyone who has beyond the slight "beginner" improvements. There may be people who have, since I don't work with clients or anything and miss out on what many Bates teachers come across, but at the least, that's still the general trend. People get a lot of weird sensations in their eyes, even stinging and other feelings on the cornea or elsewhere, and that kind of stuff has to be allowed and not fought against, and anyone wearing contacts would immediately fear that the contact is slipping or has something under it. And subconsciously this would likely stop you from getting the same result again.

Dave

Re: What can i do with lenses on? - Scarecrow - 09-07-2006

I don't expect progression, but I hope to find a way to keep the progress i have gotten during the month i did this actively without lenses or glasses, so i can continue later in life.

Re: What can i do with lenses on? - David - 09-07-2006

Scarecrow Wrote:I don't expect progression, but I hope to find a way to keep the progress i have gotten during the month i did this actively without lenses or glasses, so i can continue later in life.

That won't necessarily be possible. The way I see it, either you're using your eyes right or you aren't. But good luck with that.

Dave

Re: What can i do with lenses on? - Bob - 09-08-2006

Scarecrow,

Don't' worry too much about loosing what progress you've made because you're in school now and occasionally have to wear glasses. Recently i went on a vacation and while I was gone I didn't practice any bates methods, over time I forgot to do the sketching thing and I began to stare.

As you can imagine when the vacation was over I had, indeed, regressed a little. But once I got back to doing the Bates methods again, and sketching, my eyes progressed fairly quickly back to where they were -- they DO remember somewhat.

Another thing, if you can, and I know this may cost some money, I'd really recommend not wearing contacts, just wear glasses when you have to. I say this for all the reasons Dave just said (and know knows a whole lot more than me -- I'm still new at this), but glasses also give you the following TREMENDOUS advantage. And it is this:

YOU CAN TAKE THEM OFF ON A WHIM, something you can't do with contacts.

Here is why that is important in school. When your in a class that lasts, say, an hour, and your teacher is up there scribbling on the chalk board, they are likely only going to be writing things you need to see for five or ten minutes during that hour. So bring a scrap piece of paper and write down what the teacher writes on the board, since he's likely going to be referring to it during the upcoming ten or twenty minutes of his lecture (before he writes something else), after you've written what the teacher has on the board, take your glasses off and listen to the lecture.

Then when he refers to a things he's written, you have it all on paper and you can put it right to your nose if you have to, and still not need to wear your glasses.

Plus, most teachers actually say what they are writing as they are writing it. So just listen to what they say and write it down, and then when they are done slap your glasses on to make sure you got it all write, but that is it.

I bet I you try this you'll only need to wear your glasses for a few minutes during any given hour. And that few minutes will not be continues. Try this and I bet the impact glasses make on your progress will be small.

Your friends and school mates might make fun of you for taking your glasses on and off, but either tell them to suck socks, or be discreet, or work out what you can if this is a concern.

When I went to college I graduated in physics. In some of those upper level classes we had three hundred and sixty degrees of chalk board in those classes. The would letterally get up, start on our left and fill 270 degreesĀ  of chalk board with Calculus and Differential equations. So if your in a class like that you might need to wear you glasses more often. But even if you have to wear them for thirty minutes (remember, even then it doesn't have to be continuous), that is better than sixty.

And if you're in your general English class, I bet you'll need to put your glasses on for two to five minutes max (of the sixty).

Just a though,

Bob

Re: What can i do with lenses on? - Bob - 09-08-2006

Wow, I should have proof read my last post before I posted it. Some of those fat finger mistakes are horrible!

Bob

Re: What can i do with lenses on? - David - 09-08-2006

Bob Wrote:And if you're in your general English class, I bet you'll need to put your glasses on for two to five minutes max (of the sixty).

Just a though,

Bob

Yeah and you know I got through my last year of college without wearing contacts/glasses and not being able to see the board or overhead projection most of the time. Obviously if you take off your glasses you won't see everything until your vision improves enough, so you really have to consider what sacrifices are worth making. Going without glasses helps you realize you really do have a serious problem that needs to be addressed with urgency. The people around you don't see it that way, but most people are wrong about most things.

Dave