MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Myopic Attention Disorder - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Myopic Attention Disorder - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: David's Old Blog Posts (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Myopic Attention Disorder (/showthread.php?tid=1869)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Myopic Attention Disorder - Reut - 07-26-2011

RB120 Wrote:
kalina Wrote:I noticed that when I look directly at something which is blurry, after 2-3 seconds the image clears a bit.Does it have something in common with attention or it's just a normal process of focusing?

I am curious about that too. When I look at a blurry line on an eye chart. All it takes is a few seconds of looking directly at it (or a small point, with maybe some small shifts), and that blurry line starts to become more comprehensible/readable.

I think this is because "The shifting of the eye with imperfect sight is slower... " (Bates, chapter 15) - so we end up spending more time before we "move on"

Re: Myopic Attention Disorder - Reut - 07-26-2011

Pikachu Wrote:
RB120 Wrote:
kalina Wrote:I noticed that when I look directly at something which is blurry, after 2-3 seconds the image clears a bit.Does it have something in common with attention or it's just a normal process of focusing?

I am curious about that too. When I look at a blurry line on an eye chart. All it takes is a few seconds of looking directly at it (or a small point, with maybe some small shifts), and that blurry line starts to become more comprehensible/readable.

Though I'm no expert on the matter, this sounds a lot like stuff David has been mentioning over the past few months. Often times, we don't pay attention to what we are looking at, and so, we don't notice the details.

Another explanation is that we have the eccentric fixation tendency and look at things that aren't in the center of our visual fields. By paying attention to the center, we practice central fixation.

Just my two cents. Smile

I think another factor is that glasses create an illusion that everything is closer than it really is. Now that I'm practicing central fixation I sometimes feel I "don't know where to look". When I practice looking at a far object (horizon, clouds, stars) it's easier to tell the eye "it's very small and distant". When looking at things in my room (like the Snellen on the wall) I find it much harder.

Again, thank you David, for all the information you give us.