MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
I want my vision back - started few days ago - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
I want my vision back - started few days ago - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I want my vision back - started few days ago (/showthread.php?tid=1889)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - blwegrzyn - 08-16-2011

also, i would be more then happy to hear the comments of other members?

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - Nancy - 08-16-2011

Many vision teachers and behavioral optometrists say astigmatism is easier to correct than outright myopia, as it's myopia in only a single angle. Often this gets introduced if you have crooked posture or tilt your head for a long period of time -- Bates wrote about concert violinists developing astigmatism during concert season, and it being relieved when they took the summer off and stopped playing so much. My behavioral optometrist removes any astigmatism correction for reduced glasses if it's less than -2, otherwise reduces it by 2 so it won't be too radical of a change.

Do as much without your glasses as you can, see if you can get a reduced pair if your prescription is strong for the times when you need some help, and notice how you're straining and try to stop it. Look for reasons your vision is improving, not all the reasons why this is impossible. A positive optimistic mindset, coupled with good habits, will get you there, but if you're determined to fail, you'll get your wish.

Nancy,
I see on your blog you have many links to many programs.
Would you recommend any of them to get me started?
I can see in every link that the astigmatism can be corrected.
So i see the hope and I want to start something.

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - Nancy - 08-16-2011

I have several links to vision improvement teacher sites from my blog, and have personal experience with most of them (not with Carina Goodrich, but a friend is taking her program and really likes it, and I do get Carina's newsletter). But all you need to get started is to read David's instructions on this forum and start looking for details -- you don't need to spend money on a program, unless you really think you need the structure. Poke around some of the vision improvement sites and see what appeals to you, and just get started.

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - hereford_picnic - 08-16-2011

According to Bates when you are cured, all errors of refraction are cured. I hope that's true.

yes, i am trying to poke around and find a quick start to fixing the astigmatism.

So , I am done with the book.
Interesting read and examples.
I wish somebody would work on this in 21century.
All seems so old and cannot believe that doctors dont recommend it.
They would make more money by forcing you to visit them more!!!

So, now it is time to plan and start something.

I still want you to answers to my previous questions regarding different methods that many programs use like:
zooming, 3 cups, etc ?

I always wonder why your language here on the forum is so abstract to me.
Why Bates cannot be explained in simple words?

Can I say that:
the eyes gets defected due to strain that reshapes the eyes,
by applying the Bates method we relax the eyes muscles and allow them to comeback to the original state?

thx

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - Pikachu - 08-17-2011

Ultimately, what makes the Bates method so difficult is because it is so abstract. In a way, it is like philosophy. You can’t really explain it in words; you can only try, and I think that Bates did an admirable job at that.

The way I see it, seeing is a mental process. The eyes only take in the light rays. It is the brain that does the interpreting. In fact, I believe that the image on the retina is upside-down, and the only reason we don’t see upside-down is because the brain turns it right-side up for us. Strain interferes with the mind’s ability to interpret that image, and therefore, the resulting image may be less clear. At least, that’s my take on it. As Bates said, there are an infinite number of ways to strain, and so there is an equal number of ways to relieve that strain. So long as you can relieve that strain, you should be able to see an improvement.

Does strain cause the eyeball to be misshaped? Maybe. I don’t know for sure. In any event, what you should realize is that the Bates method tends to focus more on the mental aspect of sight rather than the physiological aspect. I believe your first post drew a connection between Bates and spirituality, and I’d have to agree on that connection. Hope this helps.

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - blwegrzyn - 08-17-2011

Yes, same feel here, it feels more like some kind of mind game then physical fix up.
Even all the members answers here are abstract!!!

What I found interesting in the book were those parts:
"
Persons who are unable to do without glasses for all purposes are not likely to be able to cure themselves.

Children and adults who have worn glasses will have to devote an hour or longer every day to practice with the test card and the balance of their time to practice on other objects.
"

so if I have to put the glasses to do the work at work , then i cannot cure myself

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - JMartinC4 - 08-17-2011

8)

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - blwegrzyn - 08-17-2011

JMartinC4
you told me
"I will make one specific recommendation to you: Turn your optician-prescribed glasses upside down half of the time you wear them."

but Bates says:
"Persons who are unable to do without glasses for all purposes are not likely to be able to cure themselves."

so why did you come with this idea?

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - JMartinC4 - 08-17-2011

blwegrzyn Wrote:JMartinC4 you told me "I will make one specific recommendation to you: Turn your optician-prescribed glasses upside down half of the time you wear them."
but Bates says: "Persons who are unable to do without glasses for all purposes are not likely to be able to cure themselves." so why did you come with this idea?
You said you HAD to wear your glasses for work.
How do I come up with my ideas? I THINK ABOUT THINGS I OBSERVE AND RESEARCH AND DO TRIAL AND ERROR!! Wink Smile

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - arocarty - 08-18-2011

@blwegrzyn: bwlegzrny,

I agree, you need to get started. It's like the lottery, if you don't play, you
don't stand any chance of winning.

The Bates methods are simply, for lack of a better definition, the methods employed
by the normal eye. Common sense, as he also described it. And there are a lot of
people with normal or better sight who don't know a darn thing about yoga,
meditation, rikki, eft, etc. It's simply eye education, relearning to use your eyes
again as those with normal sight use them all the time. Not that those disciplines
won't help you to that end, they can be very supplemental, and even helpful to those
with normal vision to maintain their good sight by learning to keep healthy, and
minimize the effects of stress, anxiety, and all the things of life that can make us
a nervous wreck. Children get it, usually more quickly because they just do what they are told and don't question everything and try to come up with all kinds of wild theories. Bates said that as soon as a child was able to speak they could start employing his methods effectively. If it were all that abstract, Bates would never have been as successful with the tens of thousands of children his method reached out to.

All refractive errors, according to Bates, are reflective of a nervous condition, a
mental strain of some kind or another. The purpose of all his methods are to obtain
relief from that strain. Corrective lenses necessitate that that strain be
maintained in order to see correctly with them. So the more you wear them, the more
you reinforce it, the harder it is to eliminate it. No one ever said impossible, just much longer and more difficult. We pick up other bad habits along the way, and those will keep reinforcing our straining ways as well.

All the logic you're going to get from Bates is that, put simply, mental strain causes the nerves to exite the muscles of the eyes, creating abnormal tensions, which impacts the eye structures into some abnormal refractive shape. Moreover, eye motion is impaired, and the eyes are never parallel. It also reduces the functioning of our foveal vision, with, or sometimes without the refractive error.

By eliminating the strain, you eliminate the abnormal tensions, and all these conditions caused by it. You can't help but to see clearly when you successfully stop all the strain. That's the problem with a lot of these other 'systems' out there, even though they steal some of the Bates techniques, they know little about how to get to the root of the problem. They package up a load of exercises because that's what appeals most to the general masses, and makes the most $$$. You need a lot of deceptive marketing, and embellished testimonies to help sell snake oil. If those things were working for you, would you be here, looking for more? Keep reading Bates (it takes a lot more than just one quick read), his medical articles, his monthly magazines, to get a bigger picture of how the method was implemented on a more day to day basis. And keep asking questions - about HOW to use the method correctly. It's a lot more than just going through motions.

Regards,
Anrew

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - hereford_picnic - 08-18-2011

@Anrew:

Amen to that, brother. Very well put indeed.

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - blwegrzyn - 08-18-2011

thx Andrew, it all make more sense now for me,

So today I went to get my new glasses with new prescription.
Yes, they are great and I could see super crispy sharp. (some new technology to get you addicted more to the glasses)
After checking if they worked I immediately took them off.
They asked me if something was wrong and I said no, but I want to fix my eyes naturally, so can I talk to the doctor please.
I explained to the doctor what I have learned about Bates so far,
and I told him that once I see pure black I will be fixed. (ha ha)
He said that he could not help me Bates, and from what he knows those methods don't work and if they work it is only temporary relief.
I said that I did not want the temporary relief, but permanent!!!
I explained to him that I am a believer and I will try and comeback in one year to retest hoping to prove them wrong. They all started to laugh and asked me again if I will be wearing my new glasses. I said: Yes, and only when I don't have a choice and I must see something I cannot without them. I also asked them to give me all my past prescriptions.
I am attaching it here for the reference, and I am continuing to learn the Bates,
but I need some little guidelines as how to proceed.

[Image: eyesspec.png]

There was a point in my life (5-6 years ago) when I was only nearsighted.
My prescription was something like : L=-0.75 R=-1.25, then it went up to:
L=-1.00 R=-1.75. Rest is in attached image. Amazing thing is that I am almost not nearsighted at all. All I have left is the astigmatism. And this proves that my vision is changing.

I work at the computer everyday for about 8-10H and when I take my glasses off (while at the computer screen), it is harder for me and it makes me feel tired. Letters are blurry and harder to read without the strain. I have been trying for last week and it is not that easy. Things like driving the car, looking into distance and normal live are ok without the glasses, but this crazy computer screen is the hardest. So, I must find a way how to deal with it.
As I slowly starting to understand Bates, I am asking you for guidance how to start, not the solution or exact steps.

Also, I wonder how the Bates would look at the method now, when we are so depended on the computer technology that is causing more stain then ever?

thx to all for support