MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
I want my vision back - started few days ago - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
I want my vision back - started few days ago - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I want my vision back - started few days ago (/showthread.php?tid=1889)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - JMartinC4 - 08-18-2011

It's not all the closework caused by the 'computer technology'. There have been 'closework' professions just as tedious and nearpoint-oriented or worse throughout human history - basketry, beadwork, needlework, just to name a few. People would do those things all day long all their lives. They didn't get bad eyesight from it. If they had, it would have been recorded historically, and it is not.

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - blwegrzyn - 08-18-2011

Are you saying that the stain in my case was caused by something else?
Why then i lost my vision exactly at the time when i was spending hours at the pc?
I have exact recollection , when my brain started to see bad. (exact time and day)
Since then it was always like that.

Oh, I don't know - do I have to figure it all out for you? Try this: post-hypnotic suggestion.
:o :Smile 8) O0
You'll probably want to ignore me from now on. Use the Bates Methods!!! They work.

JMarticC4, why it feels like you don't want to help?
I see you have been around on this forum for a while but I am getting impression, that by saying what you saying, you make me feel that Bates is not for me.
Yes, I want to learn, and I already started it.
I am already practicing the method with the attempt to use it as a tool to my future clear vision.
What is wrong with asking questions about such a complicated method as Bates. (it is not easy , at least for me)

I'll defer to the 'help' you get from others - you don't seem to want mine. Which is perfectly okay. Smile
I don't believe in magic except as good entertainment. A lot of members here seem to prefer magic and their own opinions to facts and the scientific method. Which, again, is okay. I never know what kind of member a person is until I interact with them for a while. Take care. O0

i am not saying I don't need it. I definitely need it from all the members including you.
What I am trying to say is that the way I perceive your commends is odd and feels offending.
It is just the way I read what you say.
Every time I say something you are trying to push me away.
I am here cause I want to fix my vision and learn Bates, not to play word games with you.

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - blwegrzyn - 08-19-2011

Lets close this discussion and get to the point.
I will be posting in exercises section if needed.
Smile

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - arocarty - 08-19-2011

blwegrzyn,

I had a similar thing happen to me, except that it wasn't computers, but the many hours of intense book reading when I went to college. Astigmatism eventually went up to 1.5, and myopia on top of that. It made me want to avoid reading altogether, because it became uncomfortable to read for any prolonged period. So I did avoid most unnecessary reading for the next decade or so, except what was necessitated by work. And then I started working on computers, and couldn't avoid long hours of near work. I've been in IT for the last 16 years, so you know the demands on near vision... and in spite of all that, I've been able to restore my vision to near perfect, and can use my eyes at the near point all day long and not get fatigued, nor does it seem to have any impact on distance vision. Lesser amount of myopia can be just as challenging to eliminate, so you cannot take it any more lightly than those who are trying to eliminate higher levels.

It's time to focus on you, and getting you better, and not concern yourself so much with trying to prove all the doctors wrong. You'll never change their belief system, their minds are just not open to it. They can always explain it away. Until hundreds, thousands show up with the same results. Then they might think about it.

I would suggest you pay real close attention to what Dr. Bates recommended for poor near vision.
- Read very fine print every day. Start where it is comfortable, then move it closer, and farther out.
- Learn to see the halos between the lines and letters
- Remember to breath, and blink frequently while reading, or the eyes will dry out.
- Stop staring, learn to keep your point of attention active all the time, even on tiny areas of the computer screen. David's instructions on central fixaton are just as application at the near point as they are at the distance. Practice whenever you have the opportunity on single letters or words... and/or on tiny pictures and images. Let your attention keep moving to adjacent details... this is very concrete stuff, not abstract whatsoever. When I look at a letter, I never see it stationary, I keep my attention wandering all around it, non-stop. When you read you have a larger saccade, then a fixation, another saccade, then a fixation, etc... Myopes become very adept at the saccades, I believe, but blow off the fixations. It's just more efficient and faster to look at a larger clump of letters, equally clear, than to stop for a fraction of a second and fixate on the smaller details. What we gain in reading speed, well, we unknowingly can lose in eye function, as you have experienced.

- Palm, or just close your eyes a dozen times a day or more, and forget about your eyes and seeing anything, and just remember something pleasant. Try to relax your mind.

Regards,

Andrew

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - hereford_picnic - 08-19-2011

Andrew, I think many people could benefit from your clear output. Have you written anything on the matter? A website, a blog perhaps?

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - sorrisiblue - 08-19-2011

Hi blwegrzyn,

I can see you're frustrated with the forum.
There is nothing abstract or mythical about the Bates method, that's just how some people discuss it. Also realize some people just make up their own theories and discuss them under the Bates method threads even though these theories have nothing to do with the Bates method. If someone writes something that doesn't make sense to you, it probably just doesn't make sense at all, so don't worry about it.
To answer your questions, the 'exercizes' like the 3 cups and eye rolling exercizes are NOT the Bates method. A cold water bath for the eyes is also not the Bates method. I have not seen success stories coming from these things.

The core of the Bates method is this: strain makes sight worse. Rest helps vision get better. There are many ways to rest the eyes and use them naturally, this is what the Bates method teaches. Some methods will work better for you. Just do those methods that help your vision. Some good Bates method advice was given by Nancy and Andrew.

For you, my first suggestion would simply be the following. Every 30 minutes, take a little break from the computer, 5 minutes if you can. Stand up, walk about if you can (it's good for your heart too). Take off your glasses and look as far into the distance as possible. Use this time to practice whatever you've learned from the Batse method so far (swings, shifting, etc). Something as simple as this could do a lot for your eyes. If palming helps you, do it as much as possible before and after work, before and after sleeping, and when taking breaks during the day.

This might seem like a lot. Just start small, with one break. Then add another the next day. Think what your eyes do for you all day. Give them a break!

I would not recommend turning your glasses upside down. rather, ask an experienced Batse method teacher what sort of reduced prescription they would recommend you use for your work. My guess is they would reduce the astigmatism correction by 0.25 or 0.5 diopters in each eye at first.

Best,
Sorrisi

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - JMartinC4 - 08-19-2011

Just so we're clear, I have the following qualifications:
1. 57 years of age
2. nearsighted since birth; glasses at 11 years; 1st accidental clear flash at 19
3. raised catholic
4. B.S., Psychology, Mich. State U., A.S., Engineering, NoVACC, 1 year law school, Thos.M.Cooley LawSchool, 1 year grad work in ergonomics/AI, Geo.Wash.U., Certif. in Editing&Publications, Geo'townUniv, etcetera.
5. married 35 years, spouse has BA, Spanish Lit., Syracuse U.
6. we have 2 adult children, a doctor of veterinary med and a doctor of biology, both married, one with a newborn.
7. retired from us naval reserves
8. fulltime employee 20 years at major university; past 15 years in IT.

In other words, I'm completely normal. You may want to check the qualifications of others you interact with. Or maybe not.

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - arocarty - 08-19-2011

hereford_picnic Wrote:Andrew, I think many people could benefit from your clear output. Have you written anything on the matter? A website, a blog perhaps?

thanks. no, I haven't, been thinking about it, just haven't had the time.

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - Nancy - 08-22-2011

Andrew, I must compliment you again on your clearly worded understandable helpful posts. If you decided to start a blog I'll bet it would help a lot of people. blwegrzyn, I have one thing to add: no particular difficult visual situation, even using a computer for long hours, will ruin your eyesight, if you use correct habits like blinking enough, looking in the distance once in a while, looking at small details instead of the entire screen at once, etc. People can use this as an excuse to avoid doing the Bates practices, or to get discouraged, when it doesn't have to be.

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - Pikachu - 08-22-2011

To add to Nancy's post, I believe that Bates mentions (in his book) that such "adverse conditions" are actually good for the eyes if one practices the right habits and whatnot. It's a strange concept, but it makes a bit of sense. If you can read fine print in dim light, chances are, you won't have any problems reading normal print in good light.

Re: I want my vision back - started few days ago - blwegrzyn - 08-22-2011

Yes, it totally make sense. What is though is the process of relearning the correct seeing habits.
Probably those who have more experience with Bates now easily understand it all.
But those who just starting like me are confused and that's why are looking for more practical explanations.
If the manual says that some muscles are responsible for what the eyes see and by strengthening those muscles we get the vision back it make sense and is logical, but if we hear that it is the brain that sees the most and muscles are just fine but in stress, it is a little harder to get it.
That is why all those commercial approaches usually work at least to point so you get the product and start, but at the end they all suck and we must start searching again.

If there is somebody like Andrew that can translate Bates so we are not pushed away, it would be great to help other people.

I am still here and I do believe, but I had to search in few other places to better understand the whole approach.

As I said many times I already started to practice - but as probably everyone with bad sight practicing Bates - I am hoping to see some results to believe more.
And I am writing this with no glasses waiting for my first clear flash Smile