MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Measuring signs of progress - Glasses and vision without - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Measuring signs of progress - Glasses and vision without - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Measuring signs of progress - Glasses and vision without (/showthread.php?tid=1911)

Measuring signs of progress - Glasses and vision without - RB120 - 09-05-2011

My Myopia had never been too overly extreme to the point where I cannot see the big E, 20 feet away from a Snellen chart. When I was prescribed my first pair of spectacles (still the same pair I'm wearing now, since I've only developed Myopia about 5 or 6 years ago), I believe it was for the the acuity of 20/100. I'm not sure how many diopters this is, to be honest, since I never really paid much attention to the eye exam when I first got it anyways, but I did recall seeing 20/100 on the receipt for the glasses when I paid for them.

In any case, I've been working more or less continuously over the years in trying to improve my Myopia and probably more so in the last few months since discovering this site. I recently went to the docs (about 2 months ago) to perform an aviation medical for flying, and I was diagnosed to be around 20/70 just by looking at a Snellen Chart. I've set up my own snellen chart in my room and at about 20 feet distance (rough estimate using my own feet...), I think it's pretty close.

More recently, after some rigorous usage of reading glasses, central fixation, relaxation and eye exercises, I "think" I am managing to see the 20/50 and 20/40 line now, at least when I turn on two lamps in my room in the black of night, and after a bit of exercising. Granted, the letters are a bit blurry, but they seem to be legible at least ??? .

While this certainly seems like an improvement, I still can't quite get over the blurs I am still seeing when I'm not wearing my glasses. Really, the view doesn't seem to have changed all that much. When I am forced to put on my glasses, for times like driving or flying, it seems that the spectacles are not as clear as they used to be when I first bought them. While putting on the glasses certainly do help with blurriness, some objects in the distance do seem a bit fuzzy, and the glasses also feel rather uncomfortable.

Is it normal to see and feel this way while wearing glasses? Is my vision really improving or am I fooling myself when it is in fact the reverse? Do things really change all that much during the improvement process?

Re: Measuring signs of progress - Glasses and vision without - Nini - 09-06-2011

It is very difficult to measure the amount of 'blurriness' you see without glasses, to say whether is has become less or more. And your actual vision also depends very much on other factors, f.e. the brightness and the angle of the light; and it fluctuates, especially when you are tired or stressed.
But when you can see more lines clearly on the eye-chart, there is a definite improvement.
You can also test your vision by looking at traffic sign and number plates of cars - do you see them more clearly from a greater distance?

As for your glasses, perhaps they are a bit too strong by now. You could try to get a weaker pair, which doesn't correct to 20/20, but a bit less ('computer' or 'reading' glass prescription).
When you keep on doing your eye-training, very soon you will see better with them without feeling uncomfortable.
But make sure, that the glasses you use for drivng or flying are strong enough. I ordered 2 pairs of undercorrected glasses, one pair for driving and one (weaker) for work when I have to see better than with my 'naked' eyes - which I am wearing only if it is absolutely necessary;