MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. (/showthread.php?tid=1966)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 12-21-2011

Hello again! I haven't posted for some time. To be honest nothing much new here. I didn't practice much during this time. Well I'm still thinking very intensively on things related to my sight almost every day, but I think I'm not doing much improvements. I have noticed that sometimes my sight is getting better without doing anything, sometimes I got clear flashes that occur truly spontaneusly but they are still something rare and new to me. Next thing, after reading David's blog post's something came to my mind. Isn't my closing eye method just useless? I'm dubious about closing eyes because as related to what David's wrote, this method might be inducing flashes just because eyelid's are changing shape of the eyeballs for moment.
So what's your opinion about this after reading my thread? It's important to me because it's related to my whole (but still little) experience with eyevision improvement. Should I try to continue this, concentrate on other things like for example this new David's shifting method from his last post, or maybe combine both?

Now's more optimistic part, I want to summarize what I have learned during my short stay with you dear users on this forum:
-I believe that I can have vision just like most people have, understanding that it isn't something impossible to achieve like a superhero force,
-I'm now using my vision more actively,
-My concentration got better because I'm focusing on what I'm seeing at the moment,
-I think I have more curiousity about world which I see (shifting and concentrating on smallest details, well it's still hard sometimes, I'm forgotting about this but there's some improvement) for example maybe a year or a half ago, if you would see me walking on the street then you would see a guy with head putted down looking on nothing but just a ground beneath him, now when I walk outside I just watch everything I can, people, landscape, cityscape, etc.

Cheers!

Edit:
Funny thing, I have found my old 0-18 year medical book with record of my developing since birth. Promising thing is that I wasn't myopic, I had perfect sight until year of 14. Now I'm trying to get out why this degradation of sight happened...

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - eagleguy - 12-23-2011

When I palm I don't see any flashes. The only thing I see is very bright light because my eyes were adjusted to the dark from palming and then needs to adjust from the bright light. I don't see 20/20 flash.

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - arocarty - 12-23-2011

Hi _ ,

You've touched upon the main principle that Bates was trying to teach. Seeing clearly comes when nothing is done, whether it's spontaneous,/unintentional, or by intention, as when we are practicing helpful techniques. It is quite common for those trying to improve vision to bring more effort and tension to the table, and it gets infused in everything they try to do. To some extent, I think it's an unavoidable part of the process. They get away from it for awhile, to find that suddenly good, or better things start happening with their vision. One can get the impression that vision improvement techniques are ineffective. What they fail to realize, is how they were approaching it had much, if not everything to do with the failure. They're not aware of how much effort they're infusing into their practice. It requires no effort to let go, to relax. It's very much a decision. Bates often told patients on the first visit, when demonstrating the ill effects of staring or other bad habits:

"You have your choice," I tell them. "Stare and have poor sight and other troubles. Avoid the stare and have normal vision." [BEM Nov.'21]

Of course, it is difficult to make a choice if you are not even aware of what you are doing incorrectly. That is a big part of the challenge. Do you think getting away from it for awhile helped you realize that you were maybe approaching it with too much intensity? "Thinking very intensively" about it all day may itself interfere with the natural functioning of the visual system.

Closing the eyelids doesn't make any significant refractive changes in the shape of the eyeball (assuming you are doing it lightly, or not trying to squeeze them hard). Does it cause a clear flash every single time you close your eyes, without fail? Blinking is the same as closing the eyelids, just a shorter duration - so is that inducing clear flashes every single time ? Clearly, there is more going on when one closes the eyes and rests them .

Regards,

Andrew

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - arocarty - 12-23-2011

My previous message was directed to Skywalker, in response to:

Skywalker Wrote:I have noticed that sometimes my sight is getting better without doing anything, sometimes I got clear flashes that occur truly spontaneusly

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 12-25-2011

arocarty Wrote:Of course, it is difficult to make a choice if you are not even aware of what you are doing incorrectly. That is a big part of the challenge. Do you think getting away from it for awhile helped you realize that you were maybe approaching it with too much intensity? "Thinking very intensively" about it all day may itself interfere with the natural functioning of the visual system.
By the thinking intensively means that whole day I'm monitoring my vision level. I'm asking myself "How's my vision now?" and when it's bad I'm trying to figure how to get it better. To be honest I'm very rarely just forgeting about all that vision problem I have, so maybe this is key to just forget about it and let the things happen? But at the other way I don't want to stay at one place with my vision still being imperfect.

Still I'm not sure about this shifting because well, when I'm internested and focused on something I think (because I'm not still quite sure) that I'm starting to move my attention and shift correctly. When I'm not interested on something I'm trying to force myself to find something interesting in it (details) and by doing this sometimes my vision get's better and eye's are starting to feel different (I'm losing feeling in them, feeling of moving eyes). Now while I'm wrting this I'm also watching interesting program on Discovery channel about UFO's (it's my hobby for yearsBig Grin) and I'm seeing TV and digital watch pretty clear, also shifts are much easier and I'm noticing them, so maybe there's something about that.

arocarty Wrote:Closing the eyelids doesn't make any significant refractive changes in the shape of the eyeball (assuming you are doing it lightly, or not trying to squeeze them hard). Does it cause a clear flash every single time you close your eyes, without fail? Blinking is the same as closing the eyelids, just a shorter duration - so is that inducing clear flashes every single time ? Clearly, there is more going on when one closes the eyes and rests them .

I have tried now to close eyes as gently as possible, and I have once had almost 20/20 vision. If it's causing clear flash always? No, sometimes it's causing improved but not perfect vision, sometimes it's causing double image, sometimes it's causing nothing and of course sometimes it's causing 20/20 flashes. To generalize 10 times closing my eyes will cause: 5times improved vision, 1 double image, 2 nothing, 2 20/20 clear flash (in morning it could be even 3-5 times 20/20 clear flash).
Blinks? Are they inducing clear flashes? No, and that's my problem. EACH time I have clear flash after closing eyes after I do blink it's lost. Even when I have improved but not perfect vision blinking causes coming back to blurry vision...

Arocarty how about You, I see that you are experienced and know much, how's your vision improvement, any results?

Regards!

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 01-13-2012

I'm interested on things related to world war II. Especially aerial combat, planes, pilots. While reading about Hans-Joachim Marseille one of the top Luftwaffe aces, called Star of Africa, on wikipedia, one sentence interested me:

"Marseille always strove to improve his abilities. He worked to strengthen his legs and abdominal muscles, to help him tolerate the extreme g forces of air combat. Marseille also drank an abnormal amount of milk and shunned sunglasses, to improve his eyesight."

I know milk's have some vitamine A. My brother who had perfect eyesight since his 30's, also drank alot of milk since I remember. Can it somehow help to improve sight?

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 02-10-2012

Noticing more and more clear flashes during the day, different is that i'm not closing my eyes or inducing them somehow. Just trying to shift and blink. Today even my parents noticed that my eyes are somewhat more tearful and shiny.

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 04-14-2012

There seems to be some corellation with using computer and my eyesight. Week ago I went with parents to the family in countryside, I haven't been using computer for few days and I have noticed that my eyesight improved. In bright sunlight I could see 20/20 almost all time (in the evening when it got dark, my vision decreased to the before level - but I had few clear flashes for moments). Also when travelling there I tried to do extra fast shifts while watching passing trees near road. I tried to "catch" every tree with my eyesight and do few shifts on each of them. Due to car speed I couldn't catch all of them but I have noticed that my eyes relaxed and I felt that they are doing what they are meant to do. That was good training!

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - FIAT2LUX - 04-14-2012

Skywalker Wrote:There seems to be some corellation with using computer and my eyesight. Week ago I went with parents to the family in countryside, I haven't been using computer for few days and I have noticed that my eyesight improved. In bright sunlight I could see 20/20 almost all time (in the evening when it got dark, my vision decreased to the before level - but I had few clear flashes for moments). Also when travelling there I tried to do extra fast shifts while watching passing trees near road. I tried to "catch" every tree with my eyesight and do few shifts on each of them. Due to car speed I couldn't catch all of them but I have noticed that my eyes relaxed and I felt that they are doing what they are meant to do. That was good training!

Great! Today I was outside and had a ton of clear flashes while being outside (and again, not around the computer as much), so I think that is definitely a great idea for helping to improve your vision.

This thing is ruining sight (I mean computer). To improve we should abandon using it...

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Shambles - 04-14-2012

Skywalker Wrote:To improve we should abandon using it...

Im sorry but I strongly disagree. Some of my closest friends who spend there lives on the computer, and Im not joking! Have perfect vision. I mean I know some people who used to spend 15+ hours on the computer a day, doing nerdy things and stuff. They have some of the best vision I know.

The fact is it depends how you use youre eyesight. Maybe for you it is bad.. but definately not in genral

----------------------

Adressing you're first post where you mentioned how your eyes where tired in class, because of shifting. Im no expert, but I think this shifting stuff at the start can be abit strenous, the reason I say this is because when I had glasses, I never 'thought' I strained.... so when I took em off and start moving my eyes about, its going to cause strain... Thats the price you have to pay I guess, eventually when it becomes something normal you can relax, shift and your vision becomes clearer.

This is just my opinion and my recent, albeit little experience

Thanks for reply! Yes I agree we can't generalize but I've connected computer issue to my experience. When I was kid I've got perfect vision and after getting my first PC it started to worsen so it might be the main reason for me, I think.

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - arocarty - 04-14-2012

Skywalker Wrote:Thanks for reply! Yes I agree we can't generalize but I've connected computer issue to my experience. When I was kid I've got perfect vision and after getting my first PC it started to worsen so it might be the main reason for me, I think.

It isn't the computer per se, but straining at the nearpoint, whether it be with a computer, book, knitting, video gaming, writing, etc. The solution is to learn how NOT to strain at the nearpoint. While you're starting to learn, it may be helpful to reduce the amount of time you are at it, as 15 hours of straining a day isn't going to encourage improvement either. When you've learned how to use the eyes in a relaxed, strain-less way again, you'll be able to use them indefinitely at the nearpoint, for whatever activity fancies you.

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - Skywalker - 04-15-2012

Quote:It isn't the computer per se, but straining at the nearpoint, whether it be with a computer, book, knitting, video gaming, writing, etc. The solution is to learn how NOT to strain at the nearpoint. While you're starting to learn, it may be helpful to reduce the amount of time you are at it, as 15 hours of straining a day isn't going to encourage improvement either. When you've learned how to use the eyes in a relaxed, strain-less way again, you'll be able to use them indefinitely at the nearpoint, for whatever activity fancies you.

So if also reading books can strain, I must ask what action can I do to avoid this, because I'm now reading much due to my final school exams and as I can stop sitting on computer whenever I want, I can't do the same with reading so any advice would be helpful : )

Re: Clear flash after closing eyes for few seconds. - FIAT2LUX - 04-15-2012

Skywalker Wrote:
Quote:It isn't the computer per se, but straining at the nearpoint, whether it be with a computer, book, knitting, video gaming, writing, etc. The solution is to learn how NOT to strain at the nearpoint. While you're starting to learn, it may be helpful to reduce the amount of time you are at it, as 15 hours of straining a day isn't going to encourage improvement either. When you've learned how to use the eyes in a relaxed, strain-less way again, you'll be able to use them indefinitely at the nearpoint, for whatever activity fancies you.

So if also reading books can strain, I must ask what action can I do to avoid this, because I'm now reading much due to my final school exams and as I can stop sitting on computer whenever I want, I can't do the same with reading so any advice would be helpful : )

Technically you can strain with anything. Books are easier on the eyes than computers because they reflect light instead of creating it. I'd recommend reading Clarknight's online copies of the Better Eyesight Magazine and seeing what Bates says about reading. But in general, relaxing beforehand and relaxing while reading are great ways to combat strain while reading.