MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
BRING MIND AND BODY TOGETHER - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
BRING MIND AND BODY TOGETHER - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: David's method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: BRING MIND AND BODY TOGETHER (/showthread.php?tid=2033)

BRING MIND AND BODY TOGETHER - lakeivan - 03-14-2012

BRING MIND AND BODY TOGETHER

In a previous post, I wrote about how two things have to occur to allow clear vision: you have to feed your mind good visual information by paying close attention to the smallest details of what you are looking at, and you also have to release the muscles which will allow your eyes to automatically adjust the focal length. I mentioned how useful it would be to find a way of thinking about these two tasks as one action. If you are training yourself to have new visual habits all of the time, even when you are thinking about other things, you need the simplest possible way of thinking about what you are doing, so it would be great to think of one task, rather than two.

I will describe how I do this, but in order to make it clear, I will describe some very basic things about human vision. These things are so basic that they may already be obvious to many people, but I am simply trying to be clear.

WHAT IS VISION?

I would describe vision as a 3-D image (like a hologram) which represents whatever is in front of you. This leads me directly to the next question: where in the body is this 3-D image located? I mean: where do we, subjectively, experience this image as being? The image may depict what is in front of us, but the "image space" itself, like all sensory experiences, is located somewhere in the body. The answer is that we experience the image space as being generally in the top and front part of the head, just behind the forehead and eyes. In other words, we experience the image space as being in exactly the same area as the muscles we are trying to relax in order to improve distance vision.

You can experience this correspondence between the forehead and the image space by looking out at any scene. Choose any small detail in what you are looking at, and you will notice that it corresponds to a specific spot on your forehead or the top portion of your face. You can practically "feel" the sensations of color and form which make up that visual detail in that particular spot on the skin of your forehead. Of course, if you move your head, or if the objects you are looking at are in motion, the actual thing depicted in that part of your visual field will change, but the same part of your visual field always corresponds to the same spot on the skin of your face. This correspondence is the key to bringing body and mind together in the act of vision.

DIRECTLY THROUGH THE CENTER

Begin to apply David's Method, that is, choose spots in the distance which are a little bit less than fully clear, and examine all the detail and variation you can see in them. If you look through the very center of your vision, which you use to point your vision at a specific spot, you will notice that your vision is centered in the "magic release spot," that is, the spot just above the bridge of the nose. This is the most important muscle area to release in order to have clear vision, although you won't be able to release it unless you maintain a physical awareness of all the muscles in the face.

THROUGH A CLEAR SCREEN

A very simple way to connect the physical sensations with the visual, is simply to think that you are looking "through" the flesh of your forehead and face. Since the very center of your vision corresponds to the "magic release spot," the specific details you are examining are seen directly "through" this spot on your skin. Keep in mind the idea that if the flesh of your face is at all "wrinkled" or tense, even to the tiniest degree, it is like trying to look through a window where the glass is bubbly and uneven: it distorts the image. (See my post on relaxing the muscles.) Only by completely relaxing the forehead, including the "magic release spot," will you be able to look through and see an undistorted image.

SMOOTH MOVIE SCREEN

Here is another way of thinking about it which may be a little less intuitive, but is more powerful. If you have ever seen a holographic display, you know that the display itself can be a fairly flat rectangle, even though the image in it is a 3-D image that may depict a scene with great depth. Keeping that in mind, you can actually think of the flesh of your forehead as a kind of display or movie screen on which the 3-D image is being projected. In other words, you can feel that the image is in the flesh of your forehead.

Unless the flesh of your forehead is totally relaxed and released, smooth and free of wrinkles, the image will be distorted. Choose some specific spot in the scene in front of you which you will examine and explore, using David's Method to pay attention to all the variation and texture you can see. Simply allow yourself to "be" in the "magic release spot." This means: feel every sensation that you can feel in this spot. You will feel the "sensations" of color and of form, which make up the visual detail you are examining, which are "in" this spot of skin, and you will also feel the actual flesh of the "magic release spot" as it releases, relaxes, and smoothes itself out. Simply observe the image swimming into focus, as you observe the muscles releasing. You don't have to analyze what you are feeling, just feel every sensation which you experience in the "magic release spot."

Once you train yourself to experience David's Method as a really physical act, where your skin has to be completely relaxed in order to examine the minute details you are looking at, you will know how to make your vision clearer at any time.

Re: BRING MIND AND BODY TOGETHER - minjja - 03-16-2012

These advices are really great. I can see an immediate improvements. This also helps me to forget about my eyes and my head is also automaticly moving.
I´m now developing the SMOOTH MOVIE SCREEN in my forehead because I can´t concentrate on it too long.
Thanx a lot Big Grin