MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
stinging - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
stinging - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: David's method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: stinging (/showthread.php?tid=2042)

Pages: 1 2

Re: stinging - David - 04-03-2012

That's good to know that the optic nerve itself can't transmit pain. The explanation that it's corneal nerves sensing a change in the shape of the eye does make some sense, but I feel like there might be more to it.

On whether to pay attention to the stinging or not - I suggest considering it as another aspect of regaining sensitivity in the eyes. Be receptive to the pain, while being receptive to details. It's much the same thing in practice. And you might find it easier to get there by looking at things in a way that you expect will bring on the stinging, even if to you it doesn't seem to match what you think correct shifting or whatever is. Don't escape by closing your eyes or shutting off your eyes or changing the way you see to take a break from the intensity of seeing. Consider why you would have to do anything to escape the situation, if you're simply using your eyes to as full capacity as you're able to in the moment and continue to blink and look around. Eventually the stinging should subside, or not get any worse, or your eyes will water, or it will get so bad that your eyes will close on their own.

This is part of a nasty mix of things that keep people locked into blurry vision.

Re: stinging - Sypheren - 04-16-2012

A858DE45F56D9BC9201210121742

Re: stinging - Nancy - 04-17-2012

Sypheren, if you've ever done any kind of serious dedicated exercise, you know there's good pain and bad pain. Good pain comes from gently stretching an under-used stiff muscle, for example, while bad pain is pushing too far past your current limits, possibly to the point of injury. Like any other practice, the more you do vision improvement the more aware you'll be of your own current limits, how hard to push and when to back off. See it as all learning, refining your skill, not getting too hung up in "getting it right".

Re: stinging - Sypheren - 08-15-2012

A858DE45F56D9BC9201210121742

Re: stinging - Nancy - 08-16-2012

Sypheren, I partially agree and partially disagree. I do think the stinging represents more light is coming in when the eye isn't used to it, like I said earlier -- think of the discomfort from coming out of a dark theater into the daylight. I am telling my eyes all the time that the light is good and will help me see more clearly. Where I'm not sure you're right is the pinpoint theory. It feels to me like the entire front of the eye needs the light to be healthy, even though only what gets into the pupil will go to the normally understood visual system. I'm thinking of "seeing" in a wider sense, or people like Jacques Lusseyran, the French resistance fighter, who even though he was blind, could "see" and make his way around, unless he was angry or afraid, that is, then he couldn't see a thing.

Re: stinging - charlieb000 - 04-04-2013

Hello everyone,
Im just starting out and was reading around and this caught my attention and i just had to contribute. There are two more ways the body can sting.

1) dead limbs. but thats not exactly fully painful.

2) I also get pain if I stretch and cannot touch my toes (try touching your ears with your legs, if you can touch your toes - I think thats the next step...), it seems that i am pulling on tendons or something. If your eyeball is extending, then maybe your nerve is reaching its biggest stretch. Unfortunately i cant offer any suggestions. My (now infrequent) stretching doesnt seem to get me closer to my toes...

3) There is one more circumstance that produced stinging, that is with "stuck" muscles. it occured for me when my ankle was in the extended position, happened rarely though. It would sting more if I attempted to move it by contracting, and that discourages any movement at all, although i could force it. i had discovered an easier way to "unlock" it, which was simply telling the limb to extend further. i havnt had this lately so might have been attributed to bad diet which I have since improved. So if its this one, try doing things to make muscles to move forward and back.

its probably number two.
Charlie.

RE: stinging - lakeivan - 03-21-2015

(04-03-2012, 08:59 AM)sean Wrote: I forgot to add that I recently realized that you should (I think) resist the temptation to 'follow the sensation', that is, to focus on getting the stinging sensation or whatever other physical indicators you have that tell you that you are relaxing your eyes. This is diverting your attention from looking at the tiny detail you are supposed to be doing. Probably best to just note that it's happening and that you are therefore doing things more or less right.If lakeivan is reading this I'd be interested in his thoughts.

Sean,

I recommend a "both/and" solution when you have a stinging sensation. You're certainly right that if your obsession with the physical sensation made you forget all about your visual impressions, then this could be counter-productive. On the other hand, the stinging sensation is a very positive sign, because it tells you that your locked muscles are beginning to let go, and they are allowing your eyes to naturally readjust your focal length. So it is a great idea to "follow the sensation" and feel whatever it is doing. If you don't let go of those muscles, your eyesight will never improve.

The overall idea is to bring your physical sensations and your visual sensations back together again, so you can experience them as a single natural and automatic response to changes in what you are looking at. You should try to be aware of both the totality of the physical sensations of change and all of the visual detail you can take in. It is precisely this skill of feeling yourself allow the muscles to change, while also taking in all of the visual details, that will help your vision to improve.

RE: stinging - egkopin - 03-30-2015

Hi there! I wanted to share my XP. My eyes tingle a shit ton when swinging, less palming, and more when I just close my eyes and relax my face. I think its a great sig . And glad to read some people agree. The reasons I think this is good are
1- I had lock jaw for 7 months straight until I started focusing on just relaxing the muscles in my jaw and face. I also felt tinglingin my eyes when I did that. But that is what fixed my ja . I rarely feel tingling when I relax nu face in my jaw muscles unless it is getting g tight again.
2- I first did my long swings with my fiance who has almost 20/20. It tingled my eyes like crazy but he felt nothing. Isn't that so interesting??