MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Mopia and lazy eye? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Mopia and lazy eye? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Mopia and lazy eye? (/showthread.php?tid=2048)

Pages: 1 2

Mopia and lazy eye? - kevin913 - 04-07-2012

This is totally random but please don't think i'm ignorant if i should of known this but i'm only 15. My eyes used to look normal when i was in 7th grade and it started to change forward on. My eye vision started to deteriorate and now that i am a sophomore my eyes are blurry than ever and my eyes look lazy. So the question is, is my blurry vision causing my lazy eye? and is there a way to fix it? does recovering your vision stop the lazy eyes that i have? please help ):

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - Nini - 04-08-2012

Yes, you are right, the myopic eye is a bit 'lazy' and doesn't fully accomplish the accommodation process and this is reinforced by wearing glasses.
Here is a very good explanation:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XYL2d1zdc">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XYL2d1zdc</a><!-- m -->

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - FIAT2LUX - 04-08-2012

By laziness in your eyes, do you mean that it's sorta like one eye looking at a point and another at a different point, and they aren't converging properly?

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - kevin913 - 04-08-2012

FIAT2LUX Wrote:By laziness in your eyes, do you mean that it's sorta like one eye looking at a point and another at a different point, and they aren't converging properly?
yes since my eyes are blurry when i look at people or objects my eyes tend to look away like it's not strong enough. My eyes would get soar when i look at blurry objects for a long time. This depresses me very much

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - FIAT2LUX - 04-08-2012

Ah. So you're having convergence issues. Hmm. I haven't really done much with people who have tracking errors. I'd say wait for David, Nancy, or Clarknight to give some input, because that's outside my realm of knowledge, but at least the quality of the question is such, that you should get a good answer soon.

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - clarknight - 04-08-2012

When the vision is unclear central fixation is less; the eyes need to move together and look at the same point; central fixation. The eyes move together point to point; shifting. Computer use, video games can unbalance the brain hemispheres and whole brain function with the eyes, eye muscles. Look outside in the sunlight often. Practice the methods on this website to improve the vision. When the vision clears, the eyes will work together.
Avoid squinting, trying to see. Relax, blink, shift when looking a a object or moving the visual attention through the scenery.

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - kevin913 - 04-09-2012

clarknight Wrote:When the vision is unclear central fixation is less; the eyes need to move together and look at the same point; central fixation. The eyes move together point to point; shifting. Computer use, video games can unbalance the brain hemispheres and whole brain function with the eyes, eye muscles. Look outside in the sunlight often. Practice the methods on this website to improve the vision. When the vision clears, the eyes will work together.
Avoid squinting, trying to see. Relax, blink, shift when looking a a object or moving the visual attention through the scenery.
Thanks for the response. Though i am very busy with school work, i will strive hard to improve my vision.

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - clarknight - 04-09-2012

Might be the school work. Lot computer? Stress?
Don't let the condition scare you. Blurry vision often cures itself. Shift part to part, blink and relax when looking at something unclear. The eyes do this naturally, automatic. A bit of practice will return the eyes to normal. Try some palming.
Read Sorrris's posts; Seeing Beauty word press. Her vision improved as she went through school. http://sorrisi.wordpress.com/

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - kevin913 - 04-09-2012

It is very hard for me to improve my vision when i am in a constant state of strain. I don't know why but everyday either in school or home i would feel strain coming from my eyes and it hurts/painful. It's like a habit now that my eyes are straining in school and every now and then i would put my head down in hoping it would mend the pain but it's useless and if i palm my classmates would think i am weird. Though i am a good student who maintains a GPA of 3.5 and higher, i believe that i could do much better in all my classes if my eyes were not in a constant strain. It hurts me a lot to see that my eyes are constantly worsening overtime. ): I was prescribed with glasses 3 years ago but never used them and now my eyesight is deteriorating. :'( :'( :'(

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - FIAT2LUX - 04-10-2012

kevin913 Wrote:It is very hard for me to improve my vision when i am in a constant state of strain. I don't know why but everyday either in school or home i would feel strain coming from my eyes and it hurts/painful. It's like a habit now that my eyes are straining in school and every now and then i would put my head down in hoping it would mend the pain but it's useless and if i palm my classmates would think i am weird. Though i am a good student who maintains a GPA of 3.5 and higher, i believe that i could do much better in all my classes if my eyes were not in a constant strain. It hurts me a lot to see that my eyes are constantly worsening overtime. ): I was prescribed with glasses 3 years ago but never used them and now my eyesight is deteriorating. :'( :'( :'(

I think it'd be a good idea to ask Sorrisi what her tips would be for keeping strain down while studying. My position is sorta moot because I'm in a private school doing self paced learning. My performance is through the roof, but from a strain standpoint, I have the advantage of sitting in front of a window all day when I'm actually working on learning and so I can shift from near to far a ton, and I can sun if I need to because the sun is on that window several hours each day. Occasionally I'll do some palming or swinging too.

I think also physical exercise and a proper diet help immensely. I enjoy running just for the fun of running, and often get clear flashes while doing it. Running can also be a way to release stored stress. I also found weightlifting to be a huge confidence booster, because it not only helps you to be more efficient with most movements, but increases your muscle mass, which for a guy means a lot.

My dad did about 30 minutes of aerobic weight training before school started when he was in High-school along with some other students, and they found that they had a lot more energy and focus in class than their peers who hadn't exercised. So, that might also be an idea.

Bates did find that by posting an eye chart in the front of the room and having the students read it whenever they felt strain, and at the beginning of class, that the vision of the students improved and the IQ levels of the lowest performing students increased because their eyes didn't hurt anymore. And that was in school rooms with both good and bad lighting.

So maybe if you can find something to look at that is an optimum for you whenever you feel strain might help. Also just closing your eyes for a while might help. When I don't want to explain why I'm palming, I'll often just close my eyes and rest them doing mental palming for a few minutes before continuing. But again, I'd strongly urge you to ask Sorrisi because what I'm talking about are things that might work in "theory". But what she tells you is probably from what she actually did "in practice".

So, those are my ideas, but ask Sorrisi for her ideas too.

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - clarknight - 04-10-2012

Here is a new Better Eyesight Magazine website. Everything you need is here; http://www.cleareyesight.info/naturalvisionimprovementoriginalandmodernbatesmethod/

I do not want to Spam on David's website, so; if you decide to buy a book on the subject; go to his Bates Method Store; http://www.batesmethodstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8
Then send me confirmation of a purchase and I will download you 14 free e-books with any purchase from his store. I have learned much from him on here. I do this because http://www.iblindness.org is a treasure, to be preserved for future generations.

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - Nini - 04-10-2012

Kevin, that sounds likes Dr Bates description of what happens, when someone tries improve the eyesight by effort:
Quote:In the same way you may temporarily improve the sight by effort, but you cannot improve it to normal, and if the effort is allowed to become continuous, the sight will steadily deteriorate and may eventually be destroyed. Very seldom is the impairment or destruction of vision due to any fault in the construction of the eye. Of two equally good pairs of eyes one will retain perfect sight to the end of life, and the other will lose it in the kindergarten, simply because one looks at things without effort and the other does not.

The eye with normal sight never tries to see. If for any reason, such as the dimness of the light, or the distance of the object, it cannot see a particular point, it shifts to another. It never tries to bring out the point by staring at it, as the eye with imperfect sight is constantly doing.
Perhaps it may help you to read the whole chapter: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/books/perfect-sight-without-glasses/ch10-strain.php">http://www.iblindness.org/books/perfect ... strain.php</a><!-- m --> (or even better the whole book).

The idea is, that the normal eye is in constant move, exploring the whole vision field. Our eyes cannot 'produce' clear sight by a deliberate act, they are purely receptive organs and can only find, discover and explore what is there - by following the saccadic movements from one point to the next, guided by interest and attention - until the whole picture is explored:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbbnl6VlgQpUSDHuDFAST...d54nne4_tQ]

if you put too much effort in 'grasping' the clearest image you can get, you will slow down the natural eye movement.

Instead of 'aiming' at the end - the sharp image you want to have - it is better to look for the begining, a point to start your 'exploration journey', an interesting point, which catches your attention and from which you can let your interest guide your eyes from point to point. Without putting yourself under the stress that you have to see things clearly to prove everybody that you don't need glasses.

Maybe it is better to practice this way of seeing at first not in school, because there your mind is fully occupied. Perhaps it will even bring you some relief to take your glasses with you to school and put them on, when you can't read the blackboard without overstraining your eyes (and take them off as often as possible).
But the more you will 'taste' the effortless way of seeing without strain (which you have done automatically as a child and now replaced it by the 'bad habit' of straining), the more your eyes will recover and you will find the clarity (and the way back to the 'lost seeing-paradise').

Nini

I think this applies to me as much as him. Thanks for pointing out some points that I think are hindering my permanent progress. Namely putting too much effort into seeing when I get the clear flashes.

Re: Mopia and lazy eye? - kevin913 - 04-10-2012

Thanks a lot you guys for informing me and i agree with flat that every school should have an eye chart and before beginning class students should take time off practicing looking at it or so. I think technology is the blame for the cause of so many people having to wear glasses. Now days kids would just get home from school and jump on there computers or play there video games rather than going outside and enjoy nature and exercise. If this is the case then imagine how many people will wear glasses years from now due to the advancement in technology. This just reminds me of the book Fahrenheit 451 which i read in 8th grade. Addiction to technology can negatively affect our lives.

kevin913 Wrote:Thanks a lot you guys for informing me and i agree with flat that every school should have an eye chart and before beginning class students should take time off practicing looking at it or so. I think technology is the blame for the cause of so many people having to wear glasses. Now days kids would just get home from school and jump on there computers or play there video games rather than going outside and enjoy nature and exercise. If this is the case then imagine how many people will wear glasses years from now due to the advancement in technology. This just reminds me of the book Fahrenheit 451 which i read in 8th grade. Addiction to technology can negatively affect our lives.

Maybe. According to a recent poll, about 80% of the US needs some form of visual correction. It might have only been 60% in the classrooms Bates worked in, but it still is high, and technology might have helped to make that happen. However, like it or not, we'll have to interact with technology or go to the forest. There really isn't an in-between. It's fine to use technology as little as possible, if not possibly the best idea, but there will always be interaction with technology required in our day.

Also exercise (especially outside) is indeed important from an overall health standpoint. I think a good goal would be at least 2 hours a day.