MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
My father is getting cataract surgery. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
My father is getting cataract surgery. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: My father is getting cataract surgery. (/showthread.php?tid=2063)

Pages: 1 2

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - Shambles - 04-28-2012

I dont know Otis seems like a honest guy, It seems like he truly believes in plus lense treatment.

Although very contradictory, I mean he still believe bates method is a preventive method through relaxation. Howeve at the same time believes plus lense method 'strengthens eye muscles to improve vision'--- very confusing.

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - FIAT2LUX - 04-29-2012

Shambles Wrote:I dont know Otis seems like a honest guy, It seems like he truly believes in plus lense treatment.

Although very contradictory, I mean he still believe bates method is a preventive method through relaxation. Howeve at the same time believes plus lense method 'strengthens eye muscles to improve vision'--- very confusing.

Shambles, the plus lens method could work. It might not too. It's a matter of risk versus reward. There is a lower risk to reward ratio with the Bates Method than with plus lens treatment. Let alone the fact that apparently (I haven't verified it yet) Otis fudged his facts with cataract surgery.

You know that Bates said glasses cause strain? Basically the plus lens method is trying to overstrain the eye. And apparently the eye can't be trained the same way a bicep can.

A bicep can be overworked within reason, and will adapt to that strain do that it doesn't hurt as much. But even a bicep prefers not being over used a lot, or over tense, because if it is for too long it will break (BIG not micro tear), and then you can't use it for months.

But apparently the MOST successful method of vision improvement involves releasing strain in some way or another. Minus lenses pushed the eyes too far back, make it a little weaker so that the eye adapts back. Keep doing that while training your eyes to be aware of things it wasn't. Keep getting your body reading information more correctly and acting on it properly, and your sight will improve. It results in much less complications than plus lens treatment. I think even Wikipedia says that over using plus lenses can result in damage to the eye, hence why strong prescriptions are the domain of eye doctors to give (usually).

Does that help?

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - clarknight - 04-29-2012

Plus lenses are reading glasses, close vision, magnifiers. I meet many seniors citizens and also younger people that have worn reading glasses for a few years or longer and often results in cataracts, other damage. Eye circulation, lens, retina health and the vision impair fast once the reading glasses are used. Bifocals increase all this.

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - Combo - 04-29-2012

hmmm, i think i will try to help my dad with some basic bates method exercises and try to get him to rethink the surgery for now...

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - FIAT2LUX - 04-30-2012

Combo Wrote:hmmm, i think i will try to help my dad with some basic bates method exercises and try to get him to rethink the surgery for now...

Yep. Go ahead, and remember that if after a month he isn't satisfied, you can go get the surgery if he still wants it.

There's a lot of info here (litterally thousands of pages), so "basics" to work on are palming, swinging (again, <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.seeing.org">www.seeing.org</a><!-- w --> has good illustrations for those), the sway, remembering to be relaxed, breathe freely, and letting his eyes see whatever they want, halos around words, oppositional movement, blur, cloudiness, super black text, etc.

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - Nancy - 04-30-2012

Just a clarification, so-called "plus lens therapy" is for people who have been wearing minus glasses, theoretically to pull them out of that myopic converging pattern. Some eye doctors really believe in it, and use it for kids with their near schoolwork to keep them out of minus glasses. I've chosen not to do this myself, but I'm not sure it totally useless. What turned me off to Otis's near-ranting about the benefits of this was that he came across like a zealot. I think now he was desperate to maintain his own surgically corrected distance vision and this seemed to help him, as his normal pattern was a nearsighted one. So he thought it was the solution for all other myopic people too, and was adamant about that.

People who have a farsighted or hyperopic pattern and wear plus lenses to help them see near objects more clearly are in a different category. This is not "plus lens therapy" -- it is correction. Like Clark says, the more you wear a lens to support your usual flavor of strain, the worse it may get -- this is the unfortunate progressive myopia we see so often in children who get stronger minus glasses every year. I don't think Otis is going to do much damage, but I do continue to believe no lenses at all (whether "corrective" or "therapeutic") is the healthiest alternative to improve one's natural vision. Maybe I'm a Bates zealot!

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - Shambles - 04-30-2012

I have a question is it common to naturally get 20/70+ vision?

What i mean is nearly everyone starts off at 0.75 then because of the glasses things start to go down hill. I don't know for the most part it appears glasses accelarates vision deterioration....

Oh great news, my sister lost her glasses 4 years ago, she has not worn them since, apparantly her eyesight is nearly back to normal...

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - Nini - 04-30-2012

I've tried the 'plus lenses therapy' for some time, especially to activate my weaker eye (3 and 1/2 diopters worse). So I wore a +3 glass only for my better eye for about 1/2 h to 1 h per day.
In the beginning I had some temporary improvement, which, I think, was mainly due to the effect, that I could really feel my eyes relax when they got rid of the 'torture' and were allowed to see normally again.
But when I read with the + glass for a longer time, my eyesight became worse, most probably due to the strain in order to see the letters more clearly.
Therefore I abandonned that method.

The effect to increase cataract, when used by far-sighted persons, I think is due to the fact, that the + glass takes over a great deal of the accomodation 'work' and the natural lense in the eye moves much less than without glass.
So the natural metabolism might be reduced (due to the lack of stimulating movement) and the deposits in the lense are no longer carried away properly and cause the cloudy sight.

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - FIAT2LUX - 04-30-2012

Shambles Wrote:I have a question is it common to naturally get 20/70+ vision?

What i mean is nearly everyone starts off at 0.75 then because of the glasses things start to go down hill. I don't know for the most part it appears glasses accelarates vision deterioration....

Oh great news, my sister lost her glasses 4 years ago, she has not worn them since, apparantly her eyesight is nearly back to normal...

You may want to check her vision with a Snellen chart though to see just how normal it is because I'm averaging 20/200 right now (still not enough practice to accelerate positive change any more speedily), and can still get along pretty well. I'm not quite sure if your question is coming across right, but I think also that glasses do tend to end up snowballing in their usual usage. And here's why. Let's say that (this is assuming myopia) you can see the 20/20 line with -.75 diopters, but you can see the 20/15 line with -1 diopter, and it's just a touch clearer at -1.25 diopters.

They figure your eyesight is going to deteriorate anyway, and so they give you -1.25, when you really could make do with -.75. As a result, your eye adapts to the lens and lengthens, to a degree making it a self fulfilling prophecy.

So, the next time you see the eye doctor (in a year), each measurement gets worse by .25 diopters. It doesn't always happen that way, but it does a fair majority of the time.

Reduced prescriptions have in mind the idea to start at -.75 in that example, or maybe even -.5 diopters, and progressively get weaker. It's under correction instead of over correction to take advantage of the eye's natural talent of following the lens. Yet without going over to the other side of the spectrum (plus lens in this example).

Getting to 20/70+ I think happens in those who are willing to put in the time for lots of high quality practice and learn to see properly. 

I think that it is the eventual fruition of the efforts of such individuals in every case given enough time. Some do it in two months, some in a little over a decade, and many in between. I'm going to be one of the longer cases I think unless I can get myself motivated to put in more practice.

Stabilization of my prescription happened mostly with a reduced prescription lens in two months, and now a half year later I'm in relatively the same spot as far as my prescription is concerned, and a little better quality of living without the prescription. If I pump in several hours a day of practice, I think that I could potentially reduce my prescription by the next time I see the eye doctor, which will be in September.

Some do better than others, but all eventually get to 20/50+ given enough time and proper practice.

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - clarknight - 05-04-2012

Found that Otis cataract and lens in the eye post; the top one is it, scroll down the page;

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Myopiafree2/message/4898

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Myopiafree2/message/3297

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Myopiafree2/message/3306

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Myopiafree2/message/5604

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Myopiafree2/message/4898

Clark

Re: My father is getting cataract surgery. - clarknight - 05-08-2012

Otis removed the YouTube video after people, including myself commented on the harm the Plus Lens does. First he kept deleting our comments, but then too many questions posted.
I've been getting hate e-mail... for posting search questions about his forum posts and for commenting on YouTube, their Plus Lens books. Every place they advertise; Amazon.com, YouTube, Forums, websites; they post only good things about the method. They must tell the public both sides of the issue; that it can harm the vision, eyes health.