MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
I'm not skeptical - but how can I do it if I go to school? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
I'm not skeptical - but how can I do it if I go to school? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I'm not skeptical - but how can I do it if I go to school? (/showthread.php?tid=2066)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: I'm not skeptical - but how can I do it if I go to schoo - Nancy - 08-07-2012

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right. -- Henry Ford.
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach

I could add more ("A journey of a thousand miles...") but if you are determined to hold onto your limiting beliefs, I'm wasting my time.

Re: I'm not skeptical - but how can I do it if I go to schoo - Daniel - 08-07-2012

Nancy Wrote:Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right. -- Henry Ford.
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach

I could add more ("A journey of a thousand miles...") but if you are determined to hold onto your limiting beliefs, I'm wasting my time.
What I have been trying to say throughout this thread is that if someone can get out of circumstances that require wearing glasses/squinting/hunching forward for several hours a day, then they should. Due to legal ramifications, I would not actually suggest that anyone quit school, but I certainly want to suggest that.

Re: I'm not skeptical - but how can I do it if I go to schoo - Daniel - 09-01-2012

I guess those quotes could be applied in another way. If you are convinced that you have to wear glasses/squint/hunch forward for several hours a day, then you're going to continue doing so even if you realize that it is harmful.

Re: I'm not skeptical - but how can I do it if I go to schoo - Nini - 09-01-2012

Hi
A very motivating book you can find here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/books/stories-from-the-clinic/">http://www.iblindness.org/books/stories ... he-clinic/</a><!-- m -->
Most of the describes cases are school children who all recovered from their errors of refraction in a very short time.
The author herself was a former patient of Dr Bates, who had been cured and helped her classmates to get normal vision; her own story:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/books/perfect-sight-without-glasses/ch28.php">http://www.iblindness.org/books/perfect ... s/ch28.php</a><!-- m -->

Re: I'm not skeptical - but how can I do it if I go to schoo - Daniel - 02-06-2013

Those schoolchildren all had personal help from Dr. Bates and/or Emily. It's not fair to compare them to the average student who wants to improve his/her eyesight.

Re: I'm not skeptical - but how can I do it if I go to schoo - Daniel - 02-06-2013

Daniel Wrote:Home education, usually the answer if you feel the need to get out of brick-and-mortar school, would probably not be a satisfactory solution here, since you would still be doing work which you need to lean forward to see.
I was just thinking about this again, and I suppose home education would often be far better than brick-and-mortar school in this regard. #1, more people would be willing to wear glasses instead of contacts. #2, with no board to see, you could under-correct by a full diopter and not have any trouble. #3, you'd hopefully be spending less time overall on schoolwork.

Re: I'm not skeptical - but how can I do it if I go to schoo - Firelord777 - 02-07-2013

I am in the same situation as you my friend,

As of now, I really don't know my exact prescription, but my -2.00 glasses (not even glasses anymore, both sticks are broken, I have to now hold it by hand) are too strong for me.

Yet, these past few days, I have had an unusual number of situations where I needed good eyesight.

First though, a bit of history:

2 years back, I had contacts just like you, and coincidentially nearly the same prescription, -3.50 in both eyes. I had an eye infection one day that persisted for weeks eventually, and had to go to glasses. Even though I wore glasses ever since I was like 10 years old, I was just a freshman in high school.

Note: I only have myopia, no astigmatism or anything else

Being a stubborn man, I told myself that I've had enough of this dependancy on optical devices to see.

So I researched the possibility of natural eyesight improvement and sure enough, I found some info on the subject. I recalled that I should minimize time with glasses, because then the eyes would finally get back to work how they should.

My progress during the first few weeks was astounding, though, I have to admit, it was disheartening to realize I couldn't see the board at the front of the class, the closest seat to the board, yet, others ALL the way in the back could effortlessly see the darn letters!

I just lost a lot of what I wrote, wow, this sucks, but here is my rewrite of what I did not saveSad

So, basically, I got around by using hard blinks. I noticed in class that whenever I would blink hard, the text would somewhat clear up.

Now, I know this all sound choppy, but I can't help it, I'm still furious about losing 2 hours worth of writing.

I have 4 pairs of glasses. My lowest one is -1.25 and
my highest is -3.75, much like the OP's prescription.

Now a junior in high school, as a freshman, I had contacts, -3.50.

One day, I had an eye infection that lasted for 2 weeks, and eventually, I was forced to use my -3.75 pair. Apparently, I needed a higher prescription than contacts because of the distance between the lens and my eye. Now that sounds like a load of BS.

Regardless, I progressively got better and better and soon enough, I reached my -1.25 pair. Unfortunately, I reached a plateau that I have yet to this day to push through. In fact, I think I am actually a bit worse than back then. I only get at best 20/70 vision.

So there we were, in math class. We have a PERT test coming up next week and my principal decided to send my teacher an email with a practice PERT exam.

Now, I am a good student, have many friends being a kind and humble person, and am quite advanced. PERT is a walk in the park for me.

Ironically though, what was to happen wasn't.

There I was, sitting in the second row of the classroom. We have something called a smart board, which is actually just a projector. He projected the practice test on the board.

The font and size of the content was very small. When I took a quick glance to it, I literally said "oh...sh*t..."

I couldn't see a thing, only small thin lines of black fuzziness on the board.

I knew even my hard blink trick wouldn't work, because the room was darkened and it only works in sunlight or bright light.

Faced with no other choice, I told the teacher that I couldn't see.

Now, it may have been slightly embarrassing, but my peers all know me and everyone likes me. No, the real blow was the one I gave myself. I haven't uttered that phrase of "I can't see" in two years. Frequently aspiring to be a Navy Seal, I felt like I just DORed (fancy word for quit).

Being a very observant person, I knew my teacher was far sighted. He simply asked me if I needed to move to the back or to the front. I moved to the front.

But it was a futile and mediocre 2 feet of distance. I was already at the front of the classroom, and the board maintained a solid 2-3 meters from me. I knew this was it.

I still couldn't see a darn thing. All you see is just blurry and fuzzy blobs splattered on the screen. How can others possibly see what lurks in them?

I had some friends WAY back in the classroom that could see the board like a piece of cake. Yet, here I was, with all other acceptable alternatives exhausted.

You know, it is one thing to conceptualize a feeling, and a completely different other to actually experience it.

If you mix helplessness, hopelessness, despair, isolation and  a sharp drop in your self esteem, you sort of get a rough idea of what it felt like.

Worse yet, he merrily said "oh, and it is for a TEST GRADE."

In my school, tests are worth 70% of your overall GPA. So even if you turn in all the homework and class work (a mere 10%), and fail a test, you can forget about passing the class.

So, yeah, for those that have 20/20, let me tell you guys, you are the luckiest bastards on earth, but I am determined to join your ranks soon.

I would give almost anything just to have even 20/40. My parents offered me LASIK or something, but stubbornly, I outright refused, without hesitation. NEVER!, I nearly screamed at them.

Anyways, I had all but one option. Fortunately, I still had my -2.00 hand held pair in my backpack. Reluctantly, I used them for a few seconds to jot down the questions. I did the questions, but not at the pace of my classmates.

They were clumsy to focus and stabilize (try moving your glasses up and down to get an idea) and stressed my eyes out a lot.

Despite this, I only managed to get half of the test of 80 questions done, and guessed on the other half.

I'll admit it, even though I am a man, these types of things can really put your anti-crying systems to the test LOL!

By some miracle though, some of my classmates complained that the test was too easy. It should be known that one of my "dark virtues" is manipulating people. I use a subtle form of manipulation mostly.

Long story short, I carefully crafted psychologically ideals in my classmates and teacher, saying the right words with a delicate word choice and again, by some miracle my teacher decided not to grade the "test".

But it still made me sad, as this happened today. I realize what if he graded it and I failed a test meant to allow a 5th grader a shot a passing?

I'm just in a really poopy mood, yet, I know I should still appreciate my own vision, because there are others that are truely blind, unable to see a ray of light.

I also realized how much people with normal sight take their vision for granted.

I have an eye exam very soon, and I am trying to do everything I can to get back on track and break through my plateau.

I am afraid the OP will just have to have a pair of glasses on hand and only use them when necessary, such as copying notes or watching TV.

Come on man, if I can do it, so will you.

Cheers,