MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Need Help. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Need Help. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Need Help. (/showthread.php?tid=2091)

Pages: 1 2

Need Help. - rombow - 05-20-2012

I don't know where I should put this. So, don't kill me for posting it in the wrong certain.

Ok guys. I have a rare situation.

Basically, my eyes hurt anytime I look at a phone, computer or TV. The symptoms varies depending the device. Some of the devices provide different or same symptoms. Symptoms such as eye strain, headache, light headed, fog brain (cant think), neck pains, fatigue etc.

For the computer I wear glasses which help but the glasses doesn't work for television or phones. I dont know why. The phone is giving the much trouble. It cause stress to my body. The biggest problems I have with the phone is it makes me less present. What I mean by present is like i'm a zombie to my body. I can walk to the store I won't remember what I have seen. It was like I was on auto-pilot...Now when I stop using the phone, I end up more present again.

I have two books that that is about eye exercise: The Program for Better Vision and Yoga For the Eyes. I have done some of the exercises from the books but I don't really know if it would help or which exercise will help. Also, I honestly dont want to do all the exercise from the book everyday (I working on so many other such as posture exercise, self employment etc).

My vision have improved but I dont really have vision problems such as nearsightness and farsightness but at the same time I do have one eye that I use more than the other eye (I founded out from the book). My theory about my problem is my eyes can't handle all of the details from the device.

So my question is what type of exercise you'll recommend me to do? Or book to read? Right now, I'm working on my posture and I start taking this supplement called Eyesight RX. It has tons of supplement for the eyes such as Vitmain C, Bilberry, Carrot Powder, Gingko etc.

Re: Need Help. - FIAT2LUX - 05-21-2012

Maybe palming and swinging might help, but unless anyone else here has seen anyone with such an odd condition, I'd recommend visiting your doctor for a checkup and letting him know your issue. That's just really weird.

Re: Need Help. - Nancy - 05-21-2012

Quote:Basically, my eyes hurt anytime I look at a phone, computer or TV.
If it's not right away but after a while, you probably need more frequent breaks, to move around, drink some water, and change your focus. If it's immediately, that's a different problem, and if it were me I'd want to do some further investigating: is it ALL phones and computers? (This sounds like a pessimum, something my mind doesn't like to look at so my vision doesn't see very well.) Do I have enough light in the room? Am I rushing? Am I only looking at technology when I have to do something I don't like to do, maybe when I'd much rather be outdoors looking at a tree?

My guess is there is nothing organically wrong with your eyes, but that your mind and brain are protesting the activity. You need to decipher the message they're sending you, not shut it up with a drug or glasses. Again, I am not a doctor, and this is only my opinion.

Re: Need Help. - clarknight - 05-21-2012

Stop the eyebright please. Google 'eyebright side effects' and you will find lots of warnings. People selling eye formulas like placing this in the formula but I have read too much on its side effects. I recently ditched all my affiliate teachers I was selling for because they sell this herb or teach non Bates method exercises.
I prefer plain bilberry berries (not leaf), blackberries, lutein, spinach, lemon peels, carrots, cornsilk, beets, chard, dandelion... food source vitamins, minerals.

Hows your phone posture? Holding it up or do you use a headset? Computer; looking down or to left or right often twisting the head, eyes to one side without the body; strain. Neck, shoulder tension can cause a light-headed feeling. It travels up into the muscles around the head, ears, collarbones... Drink enough water? Janet Goodrich website has a lot of health information.

Eyeglasses and computer work can strain the eyes. Take breaks, go out in the sunlight, move around. Read about reduced eyeglasses or try none. Read fine print to get clear close vision. Read it on real paper in the sunlight.

Re: Need Help. - rombow - 05-21-2012

FIAT2LUX Wrote:Maybe palming and swinging might help, but unless anyone else here has seen anyone with such an odd condition, I'd recommend visiting your doctor for a checkup and letting him know your issue. That's just really weird.

Been tried doctors. They wasn't any help... I wouldn't consider it weird. I would consider an different disorder that haven't been founded or haven't been popular. Bate Method is consider weird Plenty of people I know consider Bate Method weird just because it isnt popular.

I will try swinging. I have tried palming. I dont know if it works yet lol.

Nancy Wrote:
Quote:Basically, my eyes hurt anytime I look at a phone, computer or TV.
If it's not right away but after a while, you probably need more frequent breaks, to move around, drink some water, and change your focus. If it's immediately, that's a different problem, and if it were me I'd want to do some further investigating: is it ALL phones and computers? (This sounds like a pessimum, something my mind doesn't like to look at so my vision doesn't see very well.) Do I have enough light in the room? Am I rushing? Am I only looking at technology when I have to do something I don't like to do, maybe when I'd much rather be outdoors looking at a tree?

My guess is there is nothing organically wrong with your eyes, but that your mind and brain are protesting the activity. You need to decipher the message they're sending you, not shut it up with a drug or glasses. Again, I am not a doctor, and this is only my opinion.

Well, it depends. For the Phone, it take 1 min. For computer, it's instant. And for TV, it depends on the TV. The TV in my living room is the only TV I watch. It gives me no problem. I avoid other television. That's the only one I watch. So I can't tell you how long it take for that... Yea I'm big on investigating. From what I know, I dont know if it is all phones. I was doing research on 2 phones I had. One of them I THINK didnt do this type of damage to my eyes but I dont remember. I was thinking about buying that phone again but I said forgot. It make no sense. I dont want to adapt to my problem by using phones that don't hurt my eyes. I prefer to deal with the source of the problem. I know it is all computers. Different computer monitors reduce the damage for instance LCD provide less strain compare to CRT screens.

I don't know. I think it problem have something to do with my eyes and nervous system. Here's why: Long time ago when I was young. I used to be a heavy computer user. I used to play this RPG game every day for like a year, 12 hours day, 7 days a week. I wouldn't go outside. I used to be in a awkward position. As a result, I mess up my body normal posture. Now I have to do posture exercise to get a straight spine again.

To add on to that, I used to strain my eyes every time I used to computer around the same time I was heavy gaming. How? What I did was I reduced the contract and brightness on the computer monitor. I did this to reduce my chances of getting caught using the PC (I was like 14 when I did this. I had no idea what I was doing).

So I feel my eyes and nervous system I guess.

clarknight Wrote:Stop the eyebright please. Google 'eyebright side effects' and you will find lots of warnings. People selling eye formulas like placing this in the formula but I have read too much on its side effects. I recently ditched all my affiliate teachers I was selling for because they sell this herb or teach non Bates method exercises.
I prefer plain bilberry berries (not leaf), blackberries, lutein, spinach, lemon peels, carrots, cornsilk, beets, chard, dandelion... food source vitamins, minerals.

Hows your phone posture? Holding it up or do you use a headset? Computer; looking down or to left or right often twisting the head, eyes to one side without the body; strain. Neck, shoulder tension can cause a light-headed feeling. It travels up into the muscles around the head, ears, collarbones... Drink enough water? Janet Goodrich website has a lot of health information.

Eyeglasses and computer work can strain the eyes. Take breaks, go out in the sunlight, move around. Read about reduced eyeglasses or try none. Read fine print to get clear close vision. Read it on real paper in the sunlight.

Eyesight is the name of the supplement I use. It doesn't contain eye bright.

I don't think the phone posture is the problem because it happen instantly. Another reason why I don't think it's the posture on using the device plays a part is when I put on my glasses to use the computer. All those symptoms goes away. I don't feel light-headed, no eye strain etc. NONE. But the glasses doesn't work for the phone. Why? I don't know.

I'm working on alot of drinking water.

Re: Need Help. - rombow - 05-21-2012

Another thing, my Optometrist said my eye seems like it have problems focusing. I dont know if that is helpful.

Re: Need Help. - FIAT2LUX - 05-22-2012

Focusing issues? Hmm. Clarknight, have you seen anything about the eyeport system? If you can't find anything negative about it, or maybe you have a Bates method for getting the focusing to work properly, that might be something for him to try in conjunction with some more palming and swinging.

Re: Need Help. - clarknight - 05-22-2012

Eye port by Liberman. I have never tried it but read his books on light; 'Light: Medicine of the Future'. He must know what hes doing; I would try it. Switching as I described in lot past posts works. Bead string, cross crawl, infinity figure eight swing for left and right hemisphere...

Re: Need Help. - Jeff - 05-22-2012

Hello rombow,

maybe I can help a little. You wrote that you were playing a rpg game all day long, thats exactly what happened to me several years ago, too. So I feel that I have to help you Wink

From what you write, it seems to me, that you are staring a lot when you look at a screen. Remember to blink enough, in a light and easy way, that is very important (or at least was for me).

Also, you should avoid to get "sucked" into the screen (maybe you move your head to the direction of the screen?)

Try to see the screen as a sheet of paper or flat surface. Dont look "into" it.

Problem with focusing: computer games ruin the focusing by giving you the illusion of seeing depth, but that just happens inside your brain, youre still looking on a flat screen that has NO depth. Your eyes are viewing parallel on the screen like a "zombie" and you have the illusion of seeing depth and 3D, but youre not focusing a point with both eyes together (Thats how you normally see 3D). As a result, you loose the ability to see real, natural 3D, or it just doesnt work like it should. So, again, I would recommend to see the screen as a sheet of paper or any other flat surface and not as a "window".

Nancy wrote that maybe your mind and brain are protesting to look at the screen. I think that is a very important point, and I would realy recommend to take enough time to think about that. Im still not feeling comfortable with playing video games today, because I never want to fall into such a dark hole again like in my rpg gaming days. Maybe you have a similar feeling or maybe theres a thought like "screens are bad, dont look at it!" deep inside your head. That could cause the problem.

I hope my thoughts can help a little.
If you dont already know it, I can recommend the "Alexander Technique", its about natural body posture.

Re: Need Help. - Nancy - 05-22-2012

Jeff, thanks for this. I really like your point about the apparent depth shown by a flat screen vs. real depth. People who get out of glasses often have a big adjustment to learn to see depth again, since glasses flatten it.

About the Alexander Technique, I took several lessons, and really believe in it. You can search my blog for posts in that category. Here are a few I think might be particularly useful:
http://dreamersight.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/alexander-technique-wisdom/
http://dreamersight.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/giving-a-vision-lesson-for-light-sensitivity/

Re: Need Help. - Shambles - 05-22-2012

Sorrry- completely off topic

Re: Need Help. - Nancy - 05-22-2012

Shambles, you wrote
Quote: Sorry- completely off topic
with no context, so I'm not sure what you meant. Since this was right after my post with the 2 Alexander Technique references, it may have been about that (I'm guessing). In case it was, the 1st post is totally about AT. The second (which was http://dreamersight.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/giving-a-vision-lesson-for-light-sensitivity/), if you read it and not just the title (I'm guessing not), has some AT fundamentals in the last two-thirds of the 2nd paragraph which really helped me, and I think would be useful for any vision improvement student.

If I'm interpreting your cryptic comment incorrectly, I apologize. My aim is to be clear and helpful.

Re: Need Help. - Jeff - 05-23-2012

Maybe he first wrote something, then deleted and edited it (I think thats possible here?)

Otherwise I dont understand it either.

Re: Need Help. - Shambles - 05-23-2012

Aha, no cryptic message m'am!

Jeff is correct, I wrote something which was completely off topic. I left it up there for about 10 minutes before I realised, so I figured I should edit it out and justify my ramblings.

It was basically a long message about how I believe fast paced video games can help improve vision and how in my experience it is best to avoid slow paced games, what I didnt realise was the OP has good vision.

Heres a few links I guess.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/03/29/us-vision-videogames-idUSTRE52S1TW20090329">http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/03/ ... TW20090329</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9088262/Playing-video-games-improves-eyesight.html">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... sight.html</a><!-- m -->

Re: Need Help. - rombow - 05-23-2012

Jeff Wrote:Hello rombow,

maybe I can help a little. You wrote that you were playing a rpg game all day long, thats exactly what happened to me several years ago, too. So I feel that I have to help you Wink

From what you write, it seems to me, that you are staring a lot when you look at a screen. Remember to blink enough, in a light and easy way, that is very important (or at least was for me).

Also, you should avoid to get "sucked" into the screen (maybe you move your head to the direction of the screen?)

Try to see the screen as a sheet of paper or flat surface. Dont look "into" it.

Problem with focusing: computer games ruin the focusing by giving you the illusion of seeing depth, but that just happens inside your brain, youre still looking on a flat screen that has NO depth. Your eyes are viewing parallel on the screen like a "zombie" and you have the illusion of seeing depth and 3D, but youre not focusing a point with both eyes together (Thats how you normally see 3D). As a result, you loose the ability to see real, natural 3D, or it just doesnt work like it should. So, again, I would recommend to see the screen as a sheet of paper or any other flat surface and not as a "window".

Nancy wrote that maybe your mind and brain are protesting to look at the screen. I think that is a very important point, and I would realy recommend to take enough time to think about that. Im still not feeling comfortable with playing video games today, because I never want to fall into such a dark hole again like in my rpg gaming days. Maybe you have a similar feeling or maybe theres a thought like "screens are bad, dont look at it!" deep inside your head. That could cause the problem.

I hope my thoughts can help a little.
If you dont already know it, I can recommend the "Alexander Technique", its about natural body posture.

Hmmmm I'll take the flat paper into consideration. The thing about this is, I think it will be hard to find a solution for this. Even though you say just view it like a flat paper. I tried that, it seem impossible but I wont back down. I'm going to try to come up with some other methods on solving this problem. And continue trying to view it at a flat paper.

It look like Nancy point comes up again. Hmmm, that possible but one thing that is in my mind is why the only television (the one in the living room.) is the only one that I have no problem viewing if the problem is my mind protesting screens?

Also, here's two articles that are helpful regaining my phone situation.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://revieweverywhere.blogspot.com/2011/07/smartphone-can-damage-eyes.html">http://revieweverywhere.blogspot.com/20 ... -eyes.html</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/25/smartphone-eye-hurt_n_909025.html">http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/2 ... 09025.html</a><!-- m -->

From analyzing all the respond thus far, I'm going to do some eye exercise that was suggested earlier, analyze if my mind is protecting my vision, and my posture when I'm using these devices (such as blinding. I dont think I blind at all. And I think I zoom into the PC. I caught myself doing so yesterday lol.).

Also thanks for the Alexander Technique. I will check it out.

Shambles Wrote:Aha, no cryptic message m'am!

Jeff is correct, I wrote something which was completely off topic. I left it up there for about 10 minutes before I realised, so I figured I should edit it out and justify my ramblings.

It was basically a long message about how I believe fast paced video games can help improve vision and how in my experience it is best to avoid slow paced games, what I didnt realise was the OP has good vision.

Heres a few links I guess.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/03/29/us-vision-videogames-idUSTRE52S1TW20090329">http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/03/ ... TW20090329</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9088262/Playing-video-games-improves-eyesight.html">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... sight.html</a><!-- m -->

I dont think your post was completely off topic. Some of the information was related to my later post. From analyzing what you said it seem like slow paced game screw vision up. Lol I was playing a slow pace RPG back then lol. This just give me another new insight of what factor played into my vision issues.