MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
recommend a solution to refractive error. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
recommend a solution to refractive error. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: recommend a solution to refractive error. (/showthread.php?tid=2092)

Pages: 1 2 3

recommend a solution to refractive error. - simit19mishra91 - 05-21-2012

dear sir,
i m a final year B.E. student
i m -3.75d in ma right eye n -4d on ma left eye..
i came to know bout Bates Method this january
n i have already left wearing ma glasses...
because it use to trouble me wen i use to play..
as soon as i got sweated playing;both sides at back bottom of ma head used to pain tremendously..
i know the principles but dont know how to apply them..
it has been few months..i hav notice improvemnt..in ma eyes..
1 day one of ma friend clicked a picture where i saw left eye was all cross..which was all good before i had ma glasses!!
so i left ma glasses..
i want a help..
can anybudy guide me how to initiate bates habits n methods..
n get improved soon..with literal steps of those habits,
n which habit i should practice that wud reduce the doubling effect!!

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - FIAT2LUX - 05-21-2012

I'd like to help you, but you need to find a friend to type for you who knows English better because I'm not quite sure I'm understanding what you're saying. If you can understand English well enough, just read all the threads that have been posted here within the last month, and that might answer your question. Otherwise, unless some else here understands you, you need to find someone with better English skills for us to be able to help you.

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - Nancy - 05-22-2012

Like Fiat, I'm having a difficult time understanding your words. If you are concerned about seeing double after starting the Bates Method, this is not necessarily a problem. Your visual system is re-calibrating to see in a natural way, and may go through some stages where it appears your vision is temporarily worse, on its way to getting better overall.

If you can see well enough to function without your glasses, you are better off without them, so your eyes and brain can re-learn to see naturally, but please be safe. I'm guessing you understand English better than you write, so please read or re-read David's blog posts, and just keep practicing. You said
Quote:n i have already left wearing ma glasses...
because it use to trouble me wen i use to play..
which I think means you stopped wearing glasses because they bothered you, and now it is better, so keep going. Let us know more specifically how we can help.

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - Pikachu - 05-22-2012

I think in his last sentence, he mentions that he is seeing double and is asking what he can do to improve it.

If I recall, I think some people have mentioned that is a first step to permanent improvement, but I don't know how one might improve past it. I believe David has mentioned that if one is searching for details when that happens, you just keep going and work with what you have, but I do not know what the original poster was doing when this happened. Anyone have experience with seeing double?

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - Shambles - 05-22-2012

Your from india, I can speak small amount of urdu, which is basically hindi. Dont fully understand punjabi.

Need help just say so.

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - FIAT2LUX - 05-22-2012

Pikachu Wrote:I think in his last sentence, he mentions that he is seeing double and is asking what he can do to improve it.

If I recall, I think some people have mentioned that is a first step to permanent improvement, but I don't know how one might improve past it. I believe David has mentioned that if one is searching for details when that happens, you just keep going and work with what you have, but I do not know what the original poster was doing when this happened. Anyone have experience with seeing double?

Yeah, sometimes the clear flashes seem to do that, but it's not double, it's almost like a flower of images with one being crystalline clear, and the others being ghost images. I'm not really sure how to describe them, other than I'm glad when they're done because it can be so annoying. I can usually relieve it with a blink too.

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - simit19mishra91 - 05-23-2012

Okay think of this..
suppose u r standing at a distance and you are looking at a distant rock,now when you look at it,both edges of it,u see narrow clear mirror like two clear slabs,the inner slab appears more clear whereas the outer one appears relatively less clear. And when U shift or move from left to right sketching the rock,U experience an array of mirrors with a centre fade!!
How to work upon this??

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - FIAT2LUX - 05-23-2012

simit19mishra91 Wrote:Okay think of this..
suppose u r standing at a distance and you are looking at a distant rock,now when you look at it,both edges of it,u see narrow clear mirror like two clear slabs,the inner slab appears more clear whereas the outer one appears relatively less clear. And when U shift or move from left to right sketching the rock,U experience an array of mirrors with a centre fade!!
How to work upon this??

I think that's the multiple image thing I've experienced. Palm for a little bit, swing, look at those images like David describes in his blog, all of them if they're still there, and repeat. That's what I'm aware of for that right now. Don't get upset that there's more than one image, maybe find it slightly amusing and notice the differences between each of the different mirrors as you described it. It can be quite an interesting thing to see.

It can be annoying, but we have a saying here, "If life hands you lemons, make lemonade." In other words, if there is something annoying happening, find the part that is almost funny, or at least not as annoying. Make something fun out of something aggravating.

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - Nancy - 05-23-2012

One of the things David said about multiple images that really hit me was "every image is the right one", to just keep shifting over them and noticing what you see like Fiat said. The more I fight the situation or try to converge the images or mentally chase the shadowy ones away in favor of the clearest one, the worse the situation gets. Accept and allow, don't resist or try.

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - Pikachu - 05-23-2012

Nancy's post reminded me of another piece of advice that has helped me:

In vision improvement, doing the right thing is not necessarily the same as doing the opposite of the wrong thing. So in this case, seeing correctly does not mean that you force the images to go back to being one. The brute-force approach almost never works in any facet of vision improvement.

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - simit19mishra91 - 05-24-2012

I would like to thank all of U for your kind advice!!
Yes going through David sir's has benefited a lot to me,i m still running through them.
Rather then putting my weapons, i have started fighting the real hand situation in a bit enjoyable way and yes i noticed good and improved results.
Blurry vision doesn't discourage me any more.
More of it i don't get demotivated at my blur..i've started pushing it.. towards improvement!!
One more problem that i suffer is:
my left eye is weak..
it often keeps troubling; sometimes it feels like something is scratching at the backside of the cornea and some tears also runs out of that eye; off-course for a little while!!
The scratching sensation is most often working with computer.
And also the upper line and lower line where actually eyes are attached physically gets me a feel as if my eyeball is place between two layers of sponge of liquid!!
I just want to clear the doubt that shall i bother that??

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - Nancy - 05-25-2012

Your left eye isn't "weak", it's more strained. Give it lots of rest, don't force it to see when it wants you to palm or sleep or look at green trees instead of the computer. If a leg was broken and is still healing, you don't do a heavy weight workout with it right away, you build up to that. Pikachu said it: brute force doesnt work in this discipline. (Pikachu, thanks for those words, which I intend to use again.)

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - simit19mishra91 - 05-26-2012

Yes even i have notice that this complain of scratching gets eliminated when i palm. ;D

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - Nini - 05-27-2012

Hi
I had a lot of problems with the multiple images too, they disturbed my eyesight even more than the blur. Although I was able to improve my vision (temporarily) till the 20/25 line, my 'every-day eyesight' became not so much better because of the increasing multiple images.
When I was told that this was due to eye-strain, I didn't really believe it, because my during 'practice' I felt rather relaxed.
It was only after I got another 'conception' of 'practicing the right way of seeing', that I - very quickly - was able to get rid of the multiple images completely.

The first thing you should understand is the idea of 'central fixation' and peripheral vision - and how glasses make your eyes 'lazy', this video may be helpful:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XYL2d1zdc">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78XYL2d1zdc</a><!-- m -->

So, if you want to get back to the 'normal', clear eyesight, which you have lost, it is not a matter of applying more effort and train some weaker eye-muscles to make them work more efficiently. For the right way to see, you need to 'center' your focus (for a clear image) and you need rapid 'eye-movement' to make up a 'full-screen' clear vision out of the single clear point.

If you try to achieve clear sight in one 'look' by somehow bringing your muscles in the correct position or tension, it won't work that way.
As your eyes have lost the central fixation, the sharp single point, you first have to 'find' it again by 'approaching' it step by step - in constant eye-movement.
When you look at something, don't try to overcome the blur all at once, but follow the 'clearness', the contours, which you can see best. Once you shift your look to some sharper contour, even more smaller details will 'reveal' themselves to you and you can 'move' another step forward.....and so on.
The more you keep on moving to clearer and smaller details, the more your vision gets 'centered' and the more movement you add, the more the clear image is stabilized as a whole.

This is just the opposite of what most short-sighted people do; they try to get the clearest image possible (by some effort) at the first glance and 'fix' it. This way, the necessary movement is cut off and it results in a lot of strain.

Keep in 'the back of your mind', that blur can only be overcome step by step and your first glance doesn't have to be as perfect as possible. It is only your first step from which you have to keep on moving forward towards clear sight - slowly but constantly.
In the beginning you will advance only a little bit each time - don't force it. It is not the most important thing to get 'as far as possible' but to make this kind of looking at things your new 'seeing habit'. By the time you will proceed to smaller and smaller details which become clear and by the time your movement will flow more easily and rapidly, which will lead to a better and better stabilized vision.
Your eyes 'loose' their initial strain and - little by little - you 'forget' the wrong seeing habits - and in the end you will ask yourself how could you for such a long time 'misuse' your eyes without being aware of it and put such a lot of effort into something so simple and effortless...

Re: recommend a solution to refractive error. - Nancy - 05-27-2012

Nini, thanks for writing this. It helped make David's "looking for details" method even clearer to me. I particularly liked
Quote:If you try to achieve clear sight in one 'look' by somehow bringing your muscles in the correct position or tension, it won't work that way.
As your eyes have lost the central fixation, the sharp single point, you first have to 'find' it again by 'approaching' it step by step - in constant eye-movement.
When you look at something, don't try to overcome the blur all at once, but follow the 'clearness', the contours, which you can see best. Once you shift your look to some sharper contour, even more smaller details will 'reveal' themselves to you and you can 'move' another step forward.....and so on.
The more you keep on moving to clearer and smaller details, the more your vision gets 'centered' and the more movement you add, the more the clear image is stabilized as a whole.
I've seen the video you posted before, but somehow I didn't put it together with looking for details. Thank you again.