MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
double vision, due to astigmatism? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
double vision, due to astigmatism? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: double vision, due to astigmatism? (/showthread.php?tid=2132)

Pages: 1 2

Re: double vision, due to astigmatism? - Imagineblack - 02-25-2013

My weaker eye gets tired quicker too. Well it is not as bad as it was in the start when I first starting using it whilst closing the better eye. I actually could only manage a very short time of reading very close up before the bad eye would be sore and my vision would go all grey and pixelated and I would be forced to stop. This was a month ago.

I know what you mean about the two eyes fighting for dominance especially when the worse eye is getting a chance sometimes to be in charge of vision for a while. They don't seem to blend together as happily to they? I see that as a temporary problem though that will resolve itself once the worse eye is better. The brain's final image will just have to adjust to the new set up.

I'm trying out the long swing at the moment and the memory swing. I think my weaker eye is really enjoying this exercise. I read in Bates magazines last night about how the swing is good for astigmatism. I do feel like the weaker eye has a wonky shape to it and think it might be molded nicely and gently into a normally shape via swinging. lol I have only just learned the memory swing and I really like it because it is really easy to do anywhere and not difficult to learn. (keep head still and eyes closed whilst move eyes gently from side to side) I have also realized that I do my own short head swing a lot; swinging head from side to side as if to say no! I find this very helpful if I am straining and it seems to shake off my strain and my vision clears again.

Interesting Nini,how you tried the plus lens for a while. I don't think I will ever try it, especially not after reading Clark Night's posts about the link with cataracts. I suppose instead of making the short sight better then you might end longsighted too. I really do think that Bates would have suggested it if he thought it was a good idea. I'm sure he had enough intelligence and imagination to have considered it as an option. He does say that glasses are an injury to the eye which I suppose must include plus lens therapy.

That is great the vision you have managed to achieve with the bad eye by letting both eyes work together. I suppose this is the first time I've ever made the bad one work so at the moment it's getting trained! Then I will be more relaxed and let the two eyes do their thing. I might even call it my good eye! just want to see how far I can take it.

Bifocal, don't know if I have ,prism on glasses. I don't wear my glasses now anyway. The optician said there was astigmatism though but it's not really bad. I went to a vision teacher recently and she said my binocular vision is fine. She said it is because my weaker eye is my true dominant eye and it wants to see the best and be top dog. However I know that sometimes my eyes work ok together but when I look up close to something or my eye is tired it tends to squint off. I didn't tell her that though.

Re: double vision, due to astigmatism? - Nini - 02-25-2013

There is one more nice swing you can do, that's the moon swing - very relaxing, especially with the sound of the tropical night.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.seeing.org/visiongames/movement/moon-swing/index.html">http://www.seeing.org/visiongames/movem ... index.html</a><!-- m -->
And on this page the astigmatism wheel with the 3 lines can also be helpful to clear double vision if you follow the lines with your eyes which are not clear:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cleareyesight.info/id40.html">http://www.cleareyesight.info/id40.html</a><!-- m -->

There is one more (very recent) 'dicovery' I would like to share with you.
When I have a problem to get clear vision I tend to 'hold' my gaze on small details for too long, trying to bring them out to 'clear' my vision this way - which sometimes makes it even worse and may cause double vision. It is much better to shift to something very easy to see, maybe a bigger object or something nearer. And from this 'save' point try very short shifts to the more difficult, small objects and always return to the bigger objects in between for a longer time, until everything gets clear.

Then I remembered what David wrote quite some time ago:
"First, a tip.

"Hot potato" is a game where everyone quickly tosses a ball around, and when the music stops the person holding the ball is eliminated. It suggests an analogy for a way to practice seeing. Every point you look at is a hot potato. The longer you stay on it, the more likely you will get burned. And the larger the point, the more likely you will get burned (big potatoes make for big burns, right?). So your best bet is to keep moving among the tiniest points as quickly as you can, never stopping long enough for your eyes to suffer abuse from getting burned by the potato. Anyway, it was just a thought, and you might try thinking of it in this way to see if it makes shifting easier."
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.iblindness.org/community/viewtopic.php?p=14027#p14027">viewtopic.php?p=14027#p14027</a><!-- l -->

And I tried to let my gaze just hop around in the small and difficult details with very good results, everything was clearing up very quickly. And once it becomes clear, you can stop the hopping, 'relax' and leave the rest of the job to the eyes.

Re: double vision, due to astigmatism? - Imagineblack - 03-05-2013

Sorry for slow reply. I was posting quite a lot on here and needed to take a break. Anyway, that moon swing is beautiful and so relaxing. I loved it. I will definitely incorporate that into my eyesight agenda. I really liked the astigmatism wheel with the three lines on Clark Night's website that you suggested. It is really helping my right eye. I even managed to look at it without creating extra lines from astigmatism.

The hopping idea is a good one. I like David's story about the hot potatoes. I know what you mean about how the shifting can start hopping on the small letters purposely and then the eyes are able to relax meaning that the shifting has become a more natural affair. I like to think of a small black dot or imagine the tiny letters flickering (imagining the top part clear and black and then the bottom part). I try and tell myself that the bottom letters don't all look alike! One thing I've started to do before going to sleep is imagine the tiny F on my eye chart pulsating with central fixation. I really find this has helped me see it more now when I'm at my eye chart during the day. It also helps me relax and sleep better. I had read recently about someone in the Bates magazines imagining similar.

I'm patching up the :good eye" at the m0ment with strange results. The "bad eye" is definitely getting stronger and its vision is improving. However sometimes I have to abandon the patch because my vision starts to go all grey and pixelated. It's like my left eye hates being patched for too long. Also there was a haze over the right eye's vision which is still there but not as bad. It's like the vision is there under a fog that sometimes clears revealing the letters. I was reading an old success story about someone else patching up an eye and his bad eye was very stiff like mine too. At first mine was like a wonky supermarket trolley grooving into strange directions under certain limitations.

Re: double vision, due to astigmatism? - Imagineblack - 03-05-2013

Oops meant to say that I recently made the same discovery as you too! When I finally learned recently about shifting on the Big C with central fixation I found that I could shift back to it to gain confidence with the smaller letters. It really works doesn't it? It's definitely an important weapon in our fight for better vision. I wish I'd known that trick before as it is a good way of maintaining a clear flash.

RE: double vision, due to astigmatism? - David - 09-25-2016

See Nancy's blog post on astigmatism:

http://www.iblindness.org/1051/yes-but-i-have-astigmatism/