MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Contact lenses - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Contact lenses - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: David's method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Contact lenses (/showthread.php?tid=2156)

Pages: 1 2

Contact lenses - Iwant2cdammit - 08-13-2012

Okay so considering that contact lenses are a relatively new form of eye correction and bates never got write about them could someone give me a bit of information on contact lenses and how they effect us when we are trying to improve our vision. I play quite a bit of sports, mainly karate, I tried going to training without them recently and with me 20/400 vision I basically couldn't block a basic front kick and don't get me started on when I went to spar. I love karate and it is the only thing that really relaxes me so I won't be taking a break from it.

Any help will be appreciated. Smile

Re: Contact lenses - Nancy - 08-13-2012

Wear lenses that let you see 20/40 (or even weaker, if you're comfortable and functional with that), not full correction, which will keep your vision from improving and often lead it to deteriorate further.

Re: Contact lenses - Iwant2cdammit - 08-14-2012

Thanks nancy,

I don't have to worry about it hindering my eyes from changing, do I? I believe somebody on a different topic said something like the shape of your eyes are changing and contact lenses will only scrape and damage the eyes.

Re: Contact lenses - Nancy - 08-14-2012

That's Clark, who is very anti contacts, and I agree with him that they're not the best choice, so minimize your wearing of them as much as is feasible. However I've had an extremely strong prescription most of my life until the last handful of years, and well know what it's like to literally not be able to see without correction except a few inches ahead. Use your awareness -- you know how your body is responding if you really tune in. Err on the side of less correction as much as you can without straining, to supprt your vison improving and not waste energy "fighting" the lenses. Keep us posted.

Re: Contact lenses - Weaself - 09-30-2012

How many diopters do you use? I used to have -5 and thought I wasn't able to play any sports without contacts or glasses. And then, when I started going about without glasses I noticed how much I could actually do without them-even play tennis.

I think unless you need to read something, you can teach yourself not to use glasses for doing it. It's more difficult when it's dark outside, though.

Re: Contact lenses - Daniel - 09-30-2012

From what I have read, there are two objections to using contacts while trying to improve. First, they can't easily be removed whenever you don't need them, and secondly, they are basically a foreign object in the eye. If you're serious about improving, ditch contacts ASAP. If you're determined to keep doing things which require clear vision, at least use glasses instead.

Re: Contact lenses - lou_deg - 10-01-2012

I used to wear contacts many years ago (probably with similar prescription as my glasses then, -4.25, -3.75). After years of wearing, my eyes felt irritated, probably from getting lazy with cleaning thoroughly and perhaps from grabbing at my eyeballs to remove the contact lenses. I don't think I'll ever buy another pair. For karate, I wonder if you can use sports goggles instead. My daughter takes karate lessons and when "sparring", she takes her glasses off, although I offered to buy goggles for her (because she thinks they look strange).

Re: Contact lenses - Daniel - 10-04-2012

I just found a very old thread in which this was discussed.

Re: Contact lenses - RoyFokker - 10-06-2012

Since I have came back, I have noticed this forum has really gone downhill. At least half the topics are about glasses or making excuses to use them for totally unnecessary activities. Bates said that glasses always make you see with the error of refraction that the prescription was made for.

Often I listen to the health guru Gary Null on his radio show. He says that most people don't even put 10% effort into anything they do and wonder why they get the outcomes they do. I think he is sadly correct on that. How are you gonna ever overcome all the time you likely insist on wearing glasses for work, for driving, for whatever else, if you pile on extra time that you use contacts or glasses during recreation? Does it seem right to you that you can do anything you want, not modify your lifestyle one bit and still actually improve your vision?

Sadly this is what modern so called Bates teachers and vision educators have brought upon us.

Re: Contact lenses - Daniel - 10-06-2012

RoyFokker Wrote:How are you gonna ever overcome all the time you likely insist on wearing glasses for work, for driving, for whatever else, if you pile on extra time that you use contacts or glasses during recreation? Does it seem right to you that you can do anything you want, not modify your lifestyle one bit and still actually improve your vision?

Sadly this is what modern so called Bates teachers and vision educators have brought upon us.
I agree for the most part, but I don't know to what extent you can blame the Bates teachers. They realize that people will continue to wear glasses, and they don't want to discourage anyone. I tend to think that some people should be discouraged from trying this, at least with the aim of getting improvement.

Re: Contact lenses - RoyFokker - 10-06-2012

Oh, it is definitely the modern excuses for Bates teachers that started this nonsense. For perspective I found out about Bates in 2002, but from Quackenbush. So what happened? I never really tried, except at first, using his nonsense about sketching, breathing and blinking. Infact I believe he is such a scammer, I recall him mentioning you even sketch, breathe and blink while wearing glasses for improvement! I never earnestly tried, sans glasses till 2008. But I got a job in a auto parts warehouse and needed my glasses, so there went that. Now I just picked it up again, due to an "unemployment vacation".

Ultimately if you want certain things in life you need discipline and to make changes to make them happen. You cannot just keep making flimsy excuses to wear glasses and hope to progress -- few enough succeed as it is. Those who wear glasses, especially for nonsense recreation activities are unlikely to make any permanent improvement.

Re: Contact lenses - Pikachu - 10-07-2012

@RoyFokker: I'm not quite sure what you want here. People here have acknowledged that wearing glasses/contact lenses will reduce your chances of success. The usual response to glasses/contacts questions is usually "avoid using them whenever possible". Maybe you want to make the point that you have practically no chance (or absolutely no chance) of success if you can't go without them. That's a fair point, but I want to point out that as a community, we need to try to include as many people as possible. There are many people who probably won't even try if they feel that they have to go without glasses all the time. But they could potentially gain something (whether it be modest permanent improvement, temporary movement, or just peace of mind) from the process, even with corrective lenses. I think that getting more people to at least try the Bates method is worth the risk of their misunderstanding that lenses can greatly slow improvement.

Re: Contact lenses - jiminos - 10-08-2012

reading Mr. Roy's comments made me think..... to some the soup is too salty, to others it is too bland.

Roy, if something works for you, that is good. you should continue on your course. if what you are doing, or if what you propose others do, does not work for others, it is for them to decide what they will do or not do. for you to be upset with their progress, lack of progress, method, approach, or anything another does that does not directly impact you, is like being upset at somebody for eating a doughnut because you are on a diet. you chose your path, they must choose theirs.

if you are upset with Bates teachers.... do not use them. but bear in mind they have helped many. and will continue to do so, in spite of your displeasure.

fast, slow, complete recovery, partial recover, with a teacher, without a teacher.... we end up the same ultimately.

be well,

jim

Re: Contact lenses - Daniel - 12-18-2012

Here's a thought I just had. Has anyone gotten significant, lasting improvement after having regularly worn contacts over a period of years? It took me at least a year to get my eyes to accept contact lenses, and now I wonder how much lasting damage that did.

Re: Contact lenses - clarknight - 12-19-2012

Don't go back to contacts. They force the cornea to stay in the shape the contact prescription is set for; works against the normal eye, cornea shape.
Like glasses maintain the incorrect refraction but the contacts also add that 'forcing of the cornea into a abnormal shape, refraction'.
The eye, cornea changes shape often, on its own and also when you practice the Bates Method, the eye, cornea returns to normal shape. The contacts won't fit the changing eye shape and can then scrape, injure the cornea.

I have heard of people using contacts to try and force the eye to change shape (ortho...). This is even more risky.

Contact lense solutions, eye drops contain toxic chemicals. The solutions have also been contaminated, people on the news showed how their eye became infected and it traveled into the other eye. A surgeon had to remove an eye. Blindness occured.

The cornea is, in some ways able to repair, kind of like the skin or human liver. If you stay away from the contacts, keep with the Bates Method, the cornea will return to normal healthy shape.