MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
If Bates said eye problems are like lifestyle can't we just - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
If Bates said eye problems are like lifestyle can't we just - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: If Bates said eye problems are like lifestyle can't we just (/showthread.php?tid=2164)

Pages: 1 2

Re: If Bates said eye problems are like lifestyle can't we j - cezar - 09-21-2012

You are right, I've noticed this one as well. But even if I am looking at relatively very small area - like single letter I still feel "the staring", even if I shift from place to place. I wonder if one's sight is quite imperfect one should try to shift relatively larger area first then try to reduce it. Problem is with reading as you should basically "jump with your eyes" bigger hoops than people with normal sight, but then you lose what you were basically trying to see. Anyone share my point of view?

Re: If Bates said eye problems are like lifestyle can't we j - cezar - 09-21-2012

Of course the main question is what does it mean to look at sth without wanting to see it?

Re: If Bates said eye problems are like lifestyle can't we j - Nini - 09-21-2012

Quote:does it mean to look at sth without wanting to see it?
you have to "BE INTERESTED" - when you look up David's method, you find a whole paragraph concerning this topic.

But that means 'interested in what you see' and not interested in 'transforming the blurry impression of it' into a sharp image.
See David's text:
Quote:One thing Dr. Bates warned about was a subtle mistake of “trying to see”. As you look at each small area, don't make the mistake of trying to force details to pop out or become more visible. Either they will or they won't. You need to learn how to receive the visual data passively instead of mentally reaching out to try to force details to appear.

I read it. Actually, I read it few times, every single question posted by me on this very forum concerns things that were read by me vertically, horizontally and diagonally. I just do not understand them Sad
I simply find it contradictory, you should want to go for the smallest detail (David also wrote a paragraph about this) which requires attention and some kind of desire to see the detail, on the other hand you are supposed not to want to see it. This is what bothers me.

Re: If Bates said eye problems are like lifestyle can't we j - Nini - 09-21-2012

I would differentiate it this way:
You should be interested in every detail you are looking at, but you should not be concerned about how good or bad you can see it and try to make it appear more clear.
If you see the detail blurry, that means that your focus of attention is too wide, your are trying to see a too large area at once. So you have to narrow your attention to an even smaller point and 'let go' of the rest.

But this is very difficult to do so if your look remains fixed on that one blurry detail.
You should move on to whatever details or parts of a detail you see best and by doing so you vision becomes gradually a little more 'centralized' and you will be able to move on to even smaller details which will become a little better visible. So wih every shift your focus will step by step narrow and vision will become clearer.

All this happens in the process of discovering more and smaller details, with your focus of attention only on what details you see - and not on how to improve the 'working' of your eyes and for example try to control and manipulate your eye-muscles.

Re: If Bates said eye problems are like lifestyle can't we j - cezar - 09-24-2012

Thank you for you reply Nini, I will try Smile

Kind regards