MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Advice for mild myopes - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Advice for mild myopes - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Advice for mild myopes (/showthread.php?tid=2187)

Advice for mild myopes - Daniel - 09-11-2012

I was thinking about how JWLBOYCE had very mild myopia when he started with the Bates method, yet his vision continually worsened. If palming, sunning, shifting, etc. are of no benefit if not done "correctly", you can bet that they are of no benefit to most people who try them. Perhaps it would be best to keep things very simple for mild myopes. Tell them to sit at least two feet back from the computer screen, and to keep a similar distance between their eyes and any book or paper they read. Also, glance into the distance frequently when doing close work. If done faithfully, would that by itself be likely to at least halt the progression of myopia?

Re: Advice for mild myopes - Deliverance - 09-11-2012

Your analogy sounds good, it's not important to what you are looking to, but rather how, the way you look at things. I mean, you can't expect improvement if you are still straining to see, whatever it's the sky, a tree, or a book at the close range. Rather it's all about learning how to became aware of the strain (and therefore how to relax it). If JWLBOYCE's vision got worse while using techniques of relaxation is simply because he was straining to see, yet not aware of it.
Personally it took me more than 2 years to figure out how I was straining to see, it was such a shock when I realized I was straining my eyes all day long and other muscles in my body without being conscious of. Nothing will work while using effort.

Best,

Re: Advice for mild myopes - Daniel - 09-11-2012

But perhaps, when myopia is mild, doing what I suggest would at least tend to stop the visual strain from increasing?

Re: Advice for mild myopes - Deliverance - 09-11-2012

Unfortunately, not. By doing what you suggest, will lead to nothing as what we're doing is totally mechanical and not dealing actually with the root of the issue. No matter if you are extremely myopic or if you are just at the early stage of it, you will still need to RE-LEARN to use your visual system correctly, all day long, by means of your consciousness, in this way you can directly go the source of the problem by learning to use the visual system better, and applying these good habits often, so your visual system can start to work more efficiently again, though it can be very slow, but very rewarding at the end. It's more about your brain than your eyes!

Good luck.

Re: Advice for mild myopes - Pikachu - 09-11-2012

I agree with Lord on this one.

It's worth mentioning that JWLBOYCE is one case out of many. But everyone is different. And I think that, like Lord said, it comes down to whether or not you are able to recognize your strain and how much of it you are able to relieve. I personally started the Bates method in a situation similar to JWLBOYCE. I started in high school and was deeply focused on my academic work (still am). My vision was in near free-fall at the time, as my eyeglass prescription was increasing by 0.50 diopters one year, 0.75 the next, and 1.00 in the year I took the Bates method up. A year after, it went up by 0.25, and since then...nothing. This is coming from someone who has basically butchered all of the Bates techniques in every way possible and who has not seen any permanent improvement yet. I don't know why the myopia stopped getting worse, and I don't know why JWLBOYCE's got worse.

I think that anything that facilitates good vision habits is worth trying. Again, everyone is different, so what works for one person may not work for another. But since we don't know whether something works before we try it, I'd say that most things are worth a shot, including the points you mentioned in your first post. I like the idea of the Bates method as a method of shades and degrees, rather than an 'all-or-nothing' proposition. I think that anything we can do to promote good vision and take a step away from our bad vision habits is a good thing.

(For the record, before I learned of the Bates method, my parents constantly reminded me to take regular breaks and read/watch TV from a reasonable distance. I did both, to some extent, but I did not see any effect on my vision.)

Re: Advice for mild myopes - Daniel - 03-14-2013

As advice for mild myopes, how about this: Spend some time looking into the distance, without glasses. Notice details, and pay attention to small points.

That keeps things simple, and at least gives someone a chance to get improvement. Certainly there is more we can tell them if they are interested, but the important thing is to not overwhelm them.

Re: Advice for mild myopes - Imagineblack - 03-15-2013

Did Bates not talk about an unsuccessful experiment whereby in some country they devised implements so that children would be a certain distance from close work at their school desks. This was to avoid myopia. Bates said his method was the only one proven to work at preventing and treating myopia in the schools by reading the snellen chart every day. I'm not sure what JWLBOYCE did wrong. I think David is right to recommend looking into the distance. Didn't some people in Bates's book change from myopic to longsightedness by change of occupation; for example becoming a sailor and now only looking in the distance because it was necessary for work. I find that interesting. Perhaps palming would be good for them too. I think it might be easier for slight myopes.

Re: Advice for mild myopes - belive - 04-01-2013

Hi there.

I think, i'm person like JWLBOYCE. I have started bates methods in high school when i was 18 with -0.5D. Honestly, i have tried every method from bates book. I trained about one year. In that time sometime i could see a letters in row titled "20/20" ( rather, i thought i remembered those letters how they look and that why i could read them ). In practise, in school i saw things in the same way as before I even started bates methods.

Now, i'm starting to think about distance methods described above.

ps. really, i envy those people who they felt eyes more relaxed after doing those methods.