MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal (/showthread.php?tid=2217)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-21-2012

Day 13

Another very productive day vision-wise, I am starting to understand better and better what is necessary for vision to be perfect. I realize that in my case specifically, I allow my stress and strain to manifest itself in the eyes in particular.

These are my notes from today's walk outside which was my vision practice. "Allow your attention to move, be aware of your body and how it flows and moves. Do not try to force the attention to be in one place. Let the eyes move as your attention moves. You need to let yourself experience the moment as it is rather than avoiding or trying to impose change on it."

One specific thing I noted during today's practice was that I payed close attention to what I was feeling. "become aware of feelings the world evokes in you." "
"being aware of what the world makes you feel like and allowing the feelings to come as they are is really important."

I think the main problem with people with vision problems is that they either squelch their emotions, avoid or don't allow them to manifest themselves, which causes a great emotional and physical strain on the body and causes the sight to blur.

Currently my challenge is figuring out how to make permanent improved vision happen, as all improvement have been temporary so far (from the last two weeks anyways, I realize that my sight did get better over the two years I didn't wear glasses).

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - minjja - 10-22-2012

Tsukiomi Wrote:Day 13

I think the main problem with people with vision problems is that they either squelch their emotions, avoid or don't allow them to manifest themselves, which causes a great emotional and physical strain on the body and causes the sight to blur.

This is what I think too. So do you have any experiences or suggestions associated with this problem??

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - jiminos - 10-22-2012

some very zen observations, Tsukiomi. your success will be a beautiful thing.

be well,

jim

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-22-2012

It seems like our emotions have actual physical manifestations if you allow them to occur, following how they "flow" so to speak seems to make things much easier. For example, if you get nervous your heart may start to pound harder and you will tense up, that is an example of physical manifestation of emotion. In my case at the very least, I have been very prone to forcing my will on the world to stay still to the point where I don't allow myself to feel the movements and reactions that occur naturally, which appears at this time to be very unhealthy for the mind and the eyes. Another things that has helped is feeling these body movements as much as possible, and moving the main focus of my attention to other parts of my body. I have noticed that most of my "emotions'" or otherwise physical attention has been almost solely on my eyes, which might be why my stress gets focused at that point in my body. I haven't worked out the kinks yet, but my flashes become more frequent when I think about it and am getting closer to producing them at will. After that point it will be about doing it so often that it overrides my old programming. Although to be honest I wonder if there is a way to do this override more quickly and deliberately.

Day 14 (end of week 2)

Looked at the eye chart again this morning, after a few blinks I was able to read the 20/20 pretty well. I was very surprised that my flashes can be that clear and was able to replicate it at various occasions during the morning. It seems that I am starting to get some familiarity with the new type of mentality that brings forth clear vision. I am currently reading "the art of seeing" by aldous huxley, which describes the reasoning behind the techniques from someone who actually does them, which insofar I have felt it has been very instructive. At this point I am trying to do my practice whenever I remember to do it during the day.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solidify my practice and get more permanent gains? I feel like I am getting quite close but need an "AHA!" moment so I can make the foundation to complete recovery. It is a very zen-like process, huxley called it "dynamic relaxation" which is something I haven't been able to do since childhood but am starting to relearn. Interestingly enough these concepts have many parallels to other aspects of my life and I realize that all my life's issues are the same problem which is namely, strain.

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Milo-Tangata - 10-22-2012

I'm really enjoying your progress and journal and it is helping my own progress.
I feel similar to you , however i have always had difficulty explaining it, your journal helps.
I will start my own notes in a small workbook which i can carry around with me at all times.

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-23-2012

I am glad this could be helpful to others, I am going to crack the code on this and try to explain it the best I can.

Day 15

Not too eventful, I have been thinking about central fixation and what its purpose is in vision practice. It's very colorful this time of year so its very easy to look everywhere outside for new things. I am trying to allow my features on my face to relax more, with some mixed results as I keep a lot of tension in my face. On Thursday I will have more time to read the art of seeing and will implement what I find helpful and will include that in this journal.

Thinking and looking for the next big idea or action that can help solidify this practice and bring permanent gains.

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-24-2012

Day 16

Whew, long day and had mind on other things but I got some good vision ideas during breaks. "while looking and having your attention on the small point, shift each time your attention move and have the Central part of the vision be the point of attention that shifts!"
The central part being the part that shifts was a good realization for me.

It also seems to me that when a person yawns and tears up, the person will reflexively central fixate on a small point using on the central part of the eye. Which give me an inclination into how it should be done.

More tommorow

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-25-2012

Day 17

Another interesting day. I seem to get getting the hang of what exactly brings for clearer vision. It seems that my myopic attitude about vision is quick and impatient. But perfect vision type thinking is slow, relaxed, patient and dynamically moving to analyze things piece by piece. You keep slowly shifting every second or so to new details blinking to avoid strain while remaining present within your senses. Interestingly enough however, the moment you start obsessing about what you were doing the improvement will go away after a few moments, as it seems like these minute perceptions require this type of attentiveness to continue to be perceived. A very interesting thing to note, because staying in that state of mind seems to be the ultimate goal that brings permanent results. I wonder if people who have recovered to 20/20 or better can confirm this?

Excerpts from my notes

"Do a very small shift from point to point in a side by side type motion over a small area, remembering to blink. Keep the idea in mind that the world around you is always moving and shifting. Do not stop and tense up the eye muscles, especially if you do this to try to see better- this habit is likely one of the main causes of eye strain. "

"it is easier on the mind in body to see better than to see worse. Especially to the eyes."

I'm not sure if this parts important but I noticed I blink slightly differently when I yawn and get improved vision "Let the blink touch the center part, blink with the whole eyelid not just the side parts"

Another big thing for me is to stop trying to keep the words and the world still! Keep shifting as easily as you can manage and blinking will help with the momentary strain caused by bad habits. I also noticed that the idea of shifting applies to things of intellectual matters as well, if you force yourself to keep on a certain aspect for too long the eyes will strain quite noticeably, if you consciously shift and make associations instead, learning becomes easier and a good bit less stressful for me- so I am convinced it would help others as well.

If I think of anything or experience anything else of note today Ill edit this post

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-26-2012

Day 18

Today, I had the longest clear flash I have had so far, I was able to keep it up for around 20 minutes and the vision was probably in the 20/40-20/30 range, with a few instances of 20/20. I was able to read things well that would have normally been to blurry and my mind felt very active and perceptive. I feel like I am in the process of simplifying my practice and refining my understanding so I can get it to become a permanent change.

Excerpts from notes

"Shifts should be paced, patient and flow gradually from point to point. Notice how muche asier it is to see when you only shift from small spot without trying to see it all at once"
"When the vision improves, resist the urge to stare! keep moving!"
"Do not tense up or try to feel each eye movement as it distracts from the actual act of seeing"
"A fun, jovial and with a spring in the step while moving around is the type of feeling which promotes good vision if applied to the act of seeing"

More near the end of the day

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-27-2012

Day 19

I am able to "keep" these flashes for around 20 minutes, but there is plenty of fluctuation during that time. Lately I have been thinking about what exactly goes into a clear flash, and have been paying attention to my emotional states during. I have noticed that the emotions have a very important role in vision. Whenever I am anxious about vision it becomes much more difficult to get a clear flash. I also am thinking about how I tend not to be "here" my mind is always thinking about something else and many times I tend to either put things off or think "ill do it later, or complete it later,etc" Whenever my vision has improved I am more relaxed, not anxious at all, and I take my time letting my mind look at small points. The awareness of movement inside my body and otherwise seems to be of the greatest benefit for me. This awareness in my body seems to pace my shifts when I am shifting point to point, and makes it so I don't have to "force" the shifting. Afterall, people with perfect vision don't force movements, they happen on their own. Even people with imperfect vision like myself can notice these movements if I allow myself. Its during these moments that I almost always see and improvement in my vision and it is important that I mention it here as I am not positive how detailed I have been about it in the past. Its in this very action or rather the action of moving into this "visual or body rhythm" that holds they key to perfect vision. I might to to read more literature on the subject, as the online info is quite lacking- except for bates better eyesight magazine which is somewhat helpful, but from how bates put it it always seemed so very easy and he wasn't specific enough on certain things. Even so I found the parts on dodging and shifting to be very helpful, although I am not entirely sure that I believe that "relaxation=perfect vision" I think it would be more accurate to say "mind and body in sync, no interference(emotional or otherwise=perfect vision."

I feel myself getting closer and closer and my understanding what I am doing and not doing, the mind states involved and the feedback I am feeling from my body. I still can't help but think that something is missing.. That something that will allow permanent change.
I wish luck to my fellow vision improvement people, it is quite difficult to do something when there is not much support and information on a subject. Unfortunately for me I don't think it will be possible for me to get direct instruction, so all I can do is try to understand what I can find, follow it and get feedback and then follow that feedback towards better vision.

If at all possible, I think it would be very helpful for some of us to get together in the chat room sometime and share ideas and information on what has helped us. I can't help but feel at this time that something is missing, and that there is something that brings forth permanent vision change that hasn't been expressed well at this point in time (at least to my current knowledge and understanding).

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-28-2012

Day 20

Today I was paying attention to what exactly I do and what my "strain" feels like and have been aiming to deduce what actions cause it. I have a habit of "stopping" to strain and get a very uncomfortable feeling when looking at things, especially when I am anxious about the act of seeing itself. These old habits seem to be very often attempting to reassert themselves. What I am going to be doing now is to strain as little as possible, letting my attention move and shift as it may accepting what I see (the hard bit) from there I need to learn how to direct my attention better without strain, of which I have had some success already but need to take it to the next level so I can do it all day long. That's it for today, now I know what I need to do in the future. More on this tomorrow.

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-29-2012

Day 21 (end of week 3)

Excerpts from notes

"the idea that you can force your vision is counter product, simply accept that the vision will work as it should with the right frame of mind and mental guidance/awareness"

"Do not push your gaze forward forcefully, this causes much strain"
"blink with the eyes looking forward instead of down" -something I noticed that I habitually do.

At this point I am figuring out how to let the improvements assert themselves during my practice. At this point, when I do vision improvement and get clear flashes, I have to be very aware of the process and need to have most if not all my awareness on the act of seeing. Its hard because I know it needs to be able to be passive, but at the moment it requires such a high level of awareness and attentiveness that it is intimidating. I am not sure if I would be able to be like this all day, as I have other things to do.

I noticed that I tear up a lot when I get clear flashes at times, especially when its relaxing. It is very bothersome and I don't see any of the vision literature devoted to this. It makes me wonder if its something that I am doing that causes them.. hmm..

Week 4 is next, I need to do some deep visualizations and problem solving to figure out how to solidify the practice and have permanent gains.. Its hard to remain patient when no permanent gains have occurred.

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - arocarty - 10-30-2012

Tsukiomi Wrote:Week 4 is next, I need to do some deep visualizations and problem solving to figure out how to solidify the practice and have permanent gains.. Its hard to remain patient when no permanent gains have occurred.

Hi Evan,

As you journey through your vision improvement process, bear in mind a couple things:

Normal vision is not a static, permanent state - the eye is always going to remain flexible, capable of producing refractive error, for life. The difference between the myope and the emmetrope is that the emmetrope's good habits outweigh their bad habits, thereby warding off brief moments of refractive error. The myope's bad habits outweigh their good habits, and they've usually had years of practice and the wearing of lenses to reinforce their bad habits and chronic straining ways. You've had 11 Years to master the art of seeing incorrectly, to perfect wrong habits. Retaining improved vision is a matter of learning mental control, and developing good habits to the point that they supercede the long held, deeply ingrained wrong habits. It's not going to happen overnight, or in a few weeks. Patience and persistence is a must, especially with those who are going at this on their own.

You've accomplished quite a bit in a short period of time, so pat yourself on the back more for what you have been able to do than what you haven't. You seem to have very good intuition, and insight, but don't think too hard about things, this boils down to some very simple principles.

Tsukiomi Wrote:At this point I am figuring out how to let the improvements assert themselves during my practice. At this point, when I do vision improvement and get clear flashes, I have to be very aware of the process and need to have most if not all my awareness on the act of seeing. Its hard because I know it needs to be able to be passive, but at the moment it requires such a high level of awareness and attentiveness that it is intimidating. I am not sure if I would be able to be like this all day, as I have other things to do.

You have other things to do which require that you not be attentive to what you are looking at? In the beginning stages one learns to see passively by being assertive, but being assertive in a non-forceful way. If one just palms, or closes the eyes, that is still a conscious decision to do something, to interrupt the current state of affairs, and one must assert oneself to do it several times a day. One must assert oneself to consciously shift all day long, avoiding the stare, and direct the attention to small areas. One must assert oneself to consciously blink frequently, else the eyes will tear all up as you've experienced. If you don't assert yourself in this manner, improved vision will not persist, either. Deeply ingrained bad habits will win out, over and over. As Bates said, you have all day long to either use the eyes correctly, or incorrectly. How you are able to use them will dictate your potential to improve.

Regards,
Andrew

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-30-2012

Day 22 (start of week 4)

Had a longer post but accidentally exed out the tab before I finished, the myopic absent mindedness at work!

I am learning how to get past the idea mentally that I should be "doing" exercises. Its difficult because we are incorrectly taught our entire lives to struggle and strain. I am trying to simplify my process to the point where I can do it all the time and not get confused (which I still do quite frequently)

Excerpts from notes

"Loosen up the eye muscles and gaze. Keep shifting and allow the shift to move around where you direct your attention to.. Let it linger by shifting over a small area long enough for it to register mentally (this brings clarity at times) and keep moving form there. Keep it going and let the eyes do their job."

"Let the shifts come between smaller and smaller points. Normally my gaze is so wide that I don't notice the smaller details. Let the vision move along smaller and smaller areas, piece by piece (or point by point)."

"KEEP DODGING THE REFLEX TO TENSE THE EYE MUSCLES!!" this is super important, I believe it is one of the main issues that causes the most strain.

here are some questions I came up with to answer
Q: What am I habitually doing wrong that keeps me myopic? How can I change this?

I will be thinking about how to simplify the process so I can do it all day without confusion (which still happens quite often)

Re: Tsukiomi's Vision Journal - Tsukiomi - 10-31-2012

Day 23

Another very eventful day. I feel like I have gotten to the next level of understanding necessary for my recovery.

Excerpts from notes

"Do not deliberately physically feel every movement, this is unnecessary and makes it more difficult/causes strain and make your tear up more"

"Shift in a state of dynamic relaxation" "feeling and imagining those moments in constant movement helps achieve this"

"Maintaining a full body awareness and letting go over you tension and remaining in a passive state of mental shifting helps the process"

this is what I found out today
"Direct you attention with your intention, let go of the tension and relax into a state of passive awareness, then allow yourself to shift in the directed area. Take only responsibility for the one point your direct your attetion at and allow yourself to process that point unto the next place, and the next,etc. "

Note: Shifting happens automatically (otherwise we wouldn't see at all) if you let it happen and notice it simply by letting go and seeing what happens, you will notice it. From there, you guide it with a simple mental intention to smaller areas- this is when you experience central fixation as the visual attention guided by the intention will glide from point to point across the area you mentally are pointing at as long as you remain attentive of this movement..

This really helped me out and this morning I kept improved vision for around 50 minutes. In addition I noticed several other things.
- One key is to not hold the eyes in place or place any physical tension on them, effectively dodging any type of muscular eyestrain (which must be done consciously at first). I have several ways of accomplishing this: Full body awareness (feeling the sensations that occur, especially the movements I feel in my body) and by mentally letting go while being present in my body and allow my attention to shift many places, using mental intention to move on various places across whatever surface I feel like seeing at the time.

So a good question to be derived form this is:
Q: How can I best enter and stay in a state of dynamic relaxation? I think the answer may differ for each person.

Something of note, dynamic relaxation must be combined with using your attention to centrally fixate on what you look at, then allowing the shift to happen all needs to happen for the vision to improve for longer periods of time. As you keep doing it the shifting will get more and more rapid and I think the need to allow it to happen should be stressed as myopes tend to be way too controlling and end up stalling their system when it is trying to help them recover.
My current challenge is to stop doing this and allow myself to stay in dynamic relaxed shifting all day long and keep the improved vision as it asserts itself as the dominant habit.