MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
The dilemma of not recognizing people far away - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
The dilemma of not recognizing people far away - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: The dilemma of not recognizing people far away (/showthread.php?tid=2223)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: The dilemma of not recognizing people far away - Daniel - 10-31-2012

jiminos Wrote:Daniel, you've been on the forum here since 2005.... what kind of success/improvement have you had?
If I myself had achieved significant, lasting improvement, I wouldn't be concerned about anyone else's case. The main reason I was preoccupied with Nancy's case was that I had been thinking of taking lessons from her, but I've probably burned my bridges now.

Re: The dilemma of not recognizing people far away - jiminos - 10-31-2012

Daniel,

with all sincerity, in response to "If I myself had achieved significant, lasting improvement, I wouldn't be concerned about anyone else's case." is this....

the only case with which you should be concerned is your own. i absolutely guarantee you that every person's journey toward recovered/improved vision is unique. some achieve great advances quite quickly. other achieve great advances over a long course of time. some never achieve success. your journey will be just as unique.

from what i have read here, and in many other places, the single greatest factor in determining your level of success is, quite simply, the belief that complete recovery is possible. this belief must be a deeply held conviction by you. not a belief because somebody else says so. not because a doctor says so. but, simply because you want it bad enough AND you believe it is possible. this is not a question of odds or of probability. it is a conviction.

as an example... here is how i came around to my own belief. as i sat reading articles about vision improvement, something i had read caused me to remember that when i was thirteen i had absolutely perfect vision. i worked on a fishing boat in the summer, and i could read the names on boats half a mile away on the open sea. I could read street signs from blocks away. i could see the blackboard in class from my favorite troublemaker seat in the back row.... once upon a time, i had perfect vision. that realization led me to the following convictions...1) myopia is NOT hereditary, 2) in my case, the myopia was acquired due to poor visual habits, 3) if i acquired myopia.... then, dammit, i could un-acquire it. with that, i no longer gave a flying fig what anybody else had done or not done with their vision. my vision was my own and i now believed i still had perfect vision just waiting to be reclaimed.

so... where am i now.... a typical day 20/30 or 20/25. not bad coming from a starting point of worse than 20/200. will i ever get to 20/20. yeah... i have multiple flashes of 20/20 every day. each morning, i can get up and count my horses, llamas and alpacas out in the pasture a quarter of a mile away... and i can identify each and every one of them by name. i'm not sure when 20/20 or better will be a permanent thing,but there is no doubt in my mind. i suspect it will happen when i least expect it, and when i am paying the least attention to it. there will just be a realization that i am seeing perfectly. and then i will continue what i was doing.

find that conviction in yourself, Daniel. find it.... and see!

be well,

jim

Re: The dilemma of not recognizing people far away - clarknight - 11-02-2012

jiminos,

I like your last post. True life story. Very encouraging for others!

Re: The dilemma of not recognizing people far away - ted - 11-02-2012

Just getting back to the original idea of this thread:

I've really started to notice how I look at things differently these days because I hardly wear my glasses. I've also noticed that I interact with people in a "softer" way. Like I'm less impatient when talking and listening to people and I'm better able to be present, this means observing the person talking, observing their facial features, their micro-facial expressions. I used to think that observing them as they talk to me would distract me and make it harder to pay attention to what their saying. But, I think it is the opposite case. It gets me in the present moment more. And the present moment means that someone is talking to me about something. Not thinking my mind away.

Now getting off topic. I find something like riding my bike at night outside to be a very good way to get my vision working efficiently. It's a bit harder to see and I know I don't want to hit a sharp object or anything, so my eyes have to be "present" to my situation. They have to be moving to discern what is on the road. It is not done by squinting, but by looking for details in the road ahead and discerning what it is that I can see. I'm not trying to advocate it, it can be dangerous if you are going fast, but I've just found that it is both exciting and relaxing and gets me out of my thoughts.

Re: The dilemma of not recognizing people far away - clarknight - 11-03-2012

You have that small shifting happening when looking at the faces; 'Saccades'. Produces very clear vision. This also improves central-fixation.

Bike thing sounds fun. I remember the first time my night vision was very clear; it just happened one night; standing outside town liquors in South San Francisco and looked across the street in the dark; everything clear and could see through the window in a building far into the back and see people working night shift; so clear! Try shifting on the moon, seeing the craters. Saccades contain many tiny movements, some microscopic; optical drift, vibrations, like a fine tuned motor humming along nice and easy; keeps the eyes, muscles relaxed, pulling light into the eyes, eyesight clear. Relaxation brings the eye back to this normal state.
Janet, Carina Goodrich; http://www.janetgoodrichmethod.com/ website gives alot of free info on this and other subjects. Free audios.

Re: The dilemma of not recognizing people far away - Pikachu - 11-03-2012

@ted: The bike thing sounds a lot like my stairs experiment. It can be quite scary to think about what could happen if you mess up, but that makes one more aware and "in the moment", as you said. I don't know if you've noticed the same thing while doing your bike-riding as I did when practicing with the stairs-walking. I found that while I was doing it, because I was more in the moment, I could actually gauge how relaxed my eyes were based on how easy it was to go up and down the stairs - almost like my eyes were doing the walking. Have you noticed any such phenomenon in your bike-riding experiences?

Re: The dilemma of not recognizing people far away - ted - 11-03-2012

Well, yes I've definitely noticed how it gets me in the present moment. I think I have an example that's in between our two experiments. Say your running through a forest at night without your glasses and it's very difficult to see your next step. I think....that you would have to notice where each foot is going to go, notice the ground to see whether you should put your foot there. At the same time, you need to "see the forest from the trees" so to speak and look ahead at times to see where you are going. I dunno, I just thought of this example but it seems to make sense. It seems to me like you have to use your vision effectively in those situations just to be safe.

What I noticed when riding my bike was that I couldn't (or didn't desire to) look out in the distance too far, because it was much more important to notice what my next 15 feet ahead of me looked like.

It's only something I've tried and handful of times, and I can't say for sure whether I noticed vision improvement, but I did feel as though I was using my eyes correctly for that situation.