MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
myopes can't draw? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
myopes can't draw? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: David's method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: myopes can't draw? (/showthread.php?tid=2224)

myopes can't draw? - deski - 10-20-2012

hello

i noticed that when i was a kid, not very myopic, i could draw well. my drawing skills have decreased with the progression of myopia

i actually have good drawing skills but i can't do proportions very well anymore and my ability to draw from memory and draw details has severely decreased

I guess when you are myopic you can't imagine the details well and you have bad "visual memory" or "visual imagination"

even before i discovered bates and even before i even knew or cared about natural eyesight methods i noticed that my visual imagination and visual memory didn't function as well as before

i had a lot more trouble imagining images. In fact I can't really imagine images or really remember images anymore.

like if I think about a room I "know" how many doors, windows, etc... it may have, but I can't visualize it.

also I can't imagine or remember people's faces anymore. I can recognize them obviously if I see them but without seeing them I can't really imagine them (sometimes I can but most times i can't)

bates talks about this a few times but I don't know if for other people it is as extreme as me maybe

so that leads to my question : can myopic people draw ?

when you are drawing complex stuff like i used to, or like professionals artists do, you need to imagine the "render" on paper before you draw it

but since myopic people can't really do that, or can do that imperfectly...

does that make sense ? and do you think my assumption is correct ?

thank you.

Re: myopes can't draw? - ted - 10-21-2012

I started developing a theory about that a few months ago as well. My cousin is a very good, realistic drawer. He can draw portraits amazingly. And he has perfect or near perfect vision. I, on the other hand, am pretty bad a drawing real life things from memory like people, animals, objects etc. I usually prefer to draw more abstract things when I do draw.

Here's something I drew a while back. I think, relating to myopia, I'm starting to see that this picture didn't really have a total "vision" or idea to it. It was sort of "short sited" in that I really only drew stuff in small parts, I really only focused on small parts at a time. I didn't "see the bigger picture" and think about what it was really. Maybe that's kinda an artistic portrayal of a myope?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/br95gmzdjee4u0o/heart.jpg

Recently, since not wearing glasses as often, I do find myself a bit more able to imagine things. I imagined a rearrangement of my room and then I actually rearranged and turned it into a reality. That's really cool to do.

I'm glad you brought up this topic. It's something I've also put some thought into.

(I hope that image is viewable)

RE: myopes can't draw? - ted - 01-29-2016

Getting back to this post. I think there is really something to it. Drawing from imagination requires an apt visualization.

I've done some experimenting with this in the past, changing how I draw. Sort of backing up and not worrying about the details. Rather, I basically try to completely draw what I'm imagining. I'm not even really looking at what I'm drawing sometimes, or where my pen is. It's interesting and it feels kinda nice.

Try drawing a relative or someone you know real well. It's fun and you might see that it's quite difficult to draw them perfectly, and you might realize that that's because it's quite difficult for you to remember them perfectly!

RE: myopes can't draw? - MartinKleiner - 01-30-2016

What I can say is that this is exactly what I can relate to as well. You need vision to imagine and imagination for vision. The thing that stands out here is that there is a difference between seeing as a myopic and not myopic person. In the beginning I have tried to imagine something with the exact same mental strain that I use to see blurry.

Imagining clearly in this case means that you are trying to do it in the same way you actually see blurry. I was always able to imagine something blurry but the way I did that was by doing the same thing when I am seeing blurry images.

David's post about getting out of your eyes is exactly what this is about. It won't ever work if you try to see clearly in the blurry image you see and imagine it won't just happen one day you have to build the image. How exactly that works I can't explain but seeing clear means not thinking about your eyes at all but fully seeing the image in front of you. It is kind of "effort" in the beginning but it is the only way not myopic people see.

The next time you get a clear flash don't try to understand it but instead try to understand the mental change that you experience in that very moment. Who sees really clear? This mental attention is ALWAYS needed but it is becoming habitual at some point. It is like hearing you can't just hear perfectly by not paying perfect mental attention to it.

Once that works the imagination and memory works as well.

RE: myopes can't draw? - otto - 02-01-2016

This is a great question posed by desk and has me thinking. I could go down so many paths with this that I'm not sure where to start. I'll start with the personal. I am an illustrator and animator and have a decent capacity for rendering things realistically. My imagination, however, is mostly hazy, the images not well defined. In my experience, being able to draw is a matter of practice and learning the necessary skills. It is not that dependent on having a vivid imagination although I'm sure that can help.

When I draw I use visualization to guide my pencil for sure, but I also use muscle memory and instinct for how to render something. When I put down a line it is often a gut instinct that tells me if I have put down what my imagination is dictating. There are many great artists that have a vivid picture in their minds of what they are going to put down, like comic artist Bernie Wrightson, who wears glasses by the way. He simply, meticulously draws onto paper what he has envisioned.

Also, this goes back to what I mentioned in my thread about mental rotation. I believe that we can have a sort of subconscious visualization. I think I might be using something like this; my gut tells me how faithfully I am reproducing the veiled image. Just a hypothesis at this point...

I guess what I'm saying is that there seems to be no causation between myopia and being a faithful renderer of objects, a correlation perhaps but no causation. That doesn't mean that deski's drawing ability was not tied to the vividness of his childhood imagination. When we get to the root of this stuff it seems to be mostly about relaxation and not being relaxed will most definitely hamper ones ability to draw. And being a stressed child all to often leads to vision problems.

My two cents...