MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: David's method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? (/showthread.php?tid=2226)

How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - packard - 10-22-2012

I have just read about David's method and only just glance through the forum and Bates' Method.

And, it seems that the way to actually help to get perfect vision is to practice central fixation?

I have question about how to do it.
So, I am short-sighted and anything pass a point is completely blurry. Do I try to find a point that is clear from where I look at anything that blurry, or I actually focus onto something and make it clear OR I look at something that I can see clearly and look at something that is more clear than other and make others blur out intentionally?

Btw, if I were to find the central fixation when I see everything blurry, wouldn't it be very surprising and shocking that you can actually see a very distant object so clearly when you are short-sighted?

Beside, I saw about swinging and palming. Does swinging actually mean you move your central fixation to other point? and palming is just putting your palm over your eye and relaxing and resting?

Sorry for not reading more before asking question, because the whole finding central fixation really confuse me.

Re: How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - packard - 10-26-2012

There has been 50+ views and yet not a single reply? Please. Could anyone tell me how do I actually do this?

Re: How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - jiminos - 10-26-2012

perhaps we are waiting for David to respond.

in the meantime... take your glasses off... look at that which you can see clearly.... look at a very small area of that which you see clearly... let that very small area move around... then.... slowly... move that which you see further away so it just barely blurry... look at some small area of the slightly blurry area... let it move around.... and above all... never try to force the clarity.... just see what you can see, clear or blurry... but think small! see small!

be well,

jim

Re: How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - lou_deg - 10-26-2012

And, it seems that the way to actually help to get perfect vision is to practice central fixation?
I sure hope so.

I have question about how to do it.
So, I am short-sighted and anything pass a point is completely blurry. Do I try to find a point that is clear from where I look at anything that blurry, or I actually focus onto something and make it clear OR I look at something that I can see clearly and look at something that is more clear than other and make others blur out intentionally?
The small central spot in your eye, the fovea, gives the best resolution...so if you pay attention to a small area of whatever it is you are looking at, that will image onto the fovea and gives the clearest image. Intentionally blurring something is something else.

Btw, if I were to find the central fixation when I see everything blurry, wouldn't it be very surprising and shocking that you can actually see a very distant object so clearly when you are short-sighted?
It's not going to happen right now. Using central fixation doesn't give 20/20 but it will allow you to see with your best acuity.

Beside, I saw about swinging and palming. Does swinging actually mean you move your central fixation to other point? and palming is just putting your palm over your eye and relaxing and resting?
I think so but I don't do these.

Sorry for not reading more before asking question, because the whole finding central fixation really confuse me.
You should read folks who are keeping a journal on their progress...ex. Tsukiomi. Good luck.

Re: How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - packard - 10-27-2012

First of all, thank you for replying. Smile

jiminos Wrote:look at that which you can see clearly.... look at a very small area of that which you see clearly... let that very small area move around... then.... slowly... move that which you see further away so it just barely blurry... look at some small area of the slightly blurry area... let it move around....
Do you mean that I start off from a distance where I could see clearly, and find a point which is much more clearer than other and actually try to move the clear spot to a further distance?

If so, is it even possible to actually find a more clearer point when you could see everything clearly? I would mean that where ever you are focusing at would be your clearest point right? as you wouldn't actually bother what the surrounding is and just ignored it. And to you, the point that is clearest would be the one your are focusing at.

So, it is I just have to focus on things and precisely focus on small little things constantly to train my eye?

lou_deg Wrote:It's not going to happen right now. Using central fixation doesn't give 20/20 but it will allow you to see with your best acuity.
I see, so how do I actually know I am using my central fixation?

I am now trying to tell my mind to actually use it like imagining the light entering my eye are straight toward the point. I have no idea whether this is the correct mindset or not.

I will try to read more but recently I am having tons of thing to do. Sorry.

Re: How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - jiminos - 10-27-2012

I think Dr. Bates' explanation of central fixation is better than any explanation I could offer. As is David's.

If you see that at which you are looking, everything except your object of attention should be less clear. If everything is clear, you are straining your eyes.

Be well,

Jim

Re: How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - Tsukiomi - 10-27-2012

Central fixation has always been somewhat of an enigma in my vision training. When I have clear flashes I do notice that I tend to be looking a smaller areas, and much of my practice can be likened to the actions of being present, allowing and shifting over smaller and smaller areas. I currently believe that central fixation is a mental phenomena. When you look at something correctly (which requires your mind to be perceiving it too, not just the eyes!) there is a very subtle movement you can see (this is shifting), once you become conscious of this, I use my mind to shift my gaze and with help of my imagination am able to shift between small "points" or areas of what I am looking at one at a time. I think the mental part of this is key, because as you get it used to it and blink- your gaze will start naturally doing this to some extent and you will have clear flashes (sometimes this can happen unconsciously after blinking).
That is what has worked for me insofar, there may be some stuff I am leaving out- but this is my current understanding of the phenomena of "central fixation" which most definitely is not "starting at one spot" which is what I thought it meant at first. Be sure to give you mind time to perceive each point each time you shift! Bringing the mind and eyes into alignment is the goal in the first place.

Re: How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - packard - 10-28-2012

jiminos Wrote:If you see that at which you are looking, everything except your object of attention should be less clear. If everything is clear, you are straining your eyes.
Yea, that's what I am trying to say in my last post.
Btw, if an object is clear at a distance for me, the clear area of it would be quite big as compared to what is describe in Bate's Method and David's Method which is just a very minute area similarly to a dot, right?
This may be because I can actually see that distance clearly and the one described in Bate's and David's are for the distance where you couldn't see clearly?

So, does that mean I start off at a distance where I couldn't see clearly and start focusing at minute detail and try look at other detail from time to time to practice?

Tsukiomi Wrote:..and much of my practice can be likened to the actions of being present, allowing and shifting over smaller and smaller areas.
Erm, what do you mean by "my practice can be likened to the actions of being present"

Do you mean that you set your sight at a place and doesn't really focus at anything. Then you use your mind to find a clear point in that picture your have set and started moving that clear point?\

Btw, when you start practicing, do you start off at a blurry distance or a clear distance where you could see?

And, yea. This central fixation is confusing me too.

Re: How do I actually do this? (Central fixation? - Tsukiomi - 11-03-2012

Sort of. If I were to explain it as simply as possible, I see it as: Point at a spot and shift around and in that area. One thing I noticed, as a myope I tend to stare at nothing in particular, when you start mentally picking out details (central fixation is picking out that small detail in the center of the vision) and you keep doing it changes start to occur.