MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Ted's vision blog - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Ted's vision blog - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Vision Blogs (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Ted's vision blog (/showthread.php?tid=2236)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Ted's vision blog - Bifocal - 06-28-2013

Ted, look into the anticorrective lense method.
At - 4.00 you should be glasses free in a few weeks.

Re: Ted's vision blog - clarknight - 06-28-2013

Anti-corrective is the same as the dangerous plus lens method. One man that advises it developed cataract 2x, astigmatism, unclear vision, has lasik on the cornea, 2 operations for cataract with a eyeglass prescription implanted in his eyes. He is still addicted to the plus lens-anti-corrective method. I fear someday he will go blind. He won't listen to people that try to help him, stop him from using, advertising the method. Others that sell the method have developed vision problems and addiction.

The Plus lens method causes various eye problems; addiction to reading glasses, unclear close vision, eventually more unclear far vision, cataract, frozen lens, ciliary muscle, impaired circulation, strained, tense outer and inner eye muscle function, impairs the retinas health and the brains function with the eyes, vision, mental strain. The underlying cause of unclear vision is not corrected by this method. It's not the Bates Method. People that sell it make believe they use the Bates Method in order to draw in supporters.

The plus lens method has harmed many peoples vision, eye health including children. That's one reason they renamed it; because it has such a bad reputation. They have a few websites, forums, groups but delete all posts by people claiming the method harmed them. Only people that support the method are allowed to post comments. The owner of one group removed a method that was causing people double vision, strabismus but he still advises the Plus Lens. As time goes by and more people he knows end up with eye problems I think this one guy (who is basically very smart and of good heart) will detach from the Plus Lens guys.

Ted has probably read all this in my other posts warning about the side effects of this method. I am still working on creating an entire list of harmful methods in detail to post on the Internet. Soon this year; its 3/4 done and I have been placing it in the beginning of my books so it shows on-line look inside on GoogleBooks, Amazon, all bookstores... when the public searchs for vision help.

Re: Ted's vision blog - Bifocal - 06-28-2013

clarknight
About the only thing you forgot is "That your eyeballs will implode,and in the process blow your teeth out of your mouth.
Seriously you rant about what you say are things that will happen to your eyes,but it is all only YOUR opinion,and you have never offered any scientific evidence to all of your claims.
You are thereby passing along false information,thus causing some here from having real reversal of their myopia instead of never getting beyond clear flashes. Even Bates said that clear flashes are only a transitional thing,and all of his patients had it,and shortly after were totally free of myopia.Yet most here go on with clear flashes,some for years, and still remain quite myopic.

Re: Ted's vision blog - ted - 06-29-2013

If plus lenses were totally successful why would there be any hesitancy whatsoever, from anyone, including clarknight? I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can here. We are going from myopia to normal vision, using plus lenses. That's possible, from some stories I've heard. But I've also heard of some negative consequences associated with the use of these lenses. So this leaves me unsure, and that's where I remain at the moment. I haven't looked into it that much at all, so I can't say anything with a good amount of assurance. I appreciate the response from both of you, but it all honesty, I can't see myself going the way of the plus lenses. I dislike glasses in general, I don't want to wear the crap any more. That's just about all I have to say.

One thing I will add. I believe exaggeration in each of it's manifestations is mostly a waste of time, and ineffective no matter which opinion you are supporting. The truth, and reality, is for the most part, unbiased.

Re: Ted's vision blog - clarknight - 06-29-2013

To Bifocal,

Tell that to Otis Brown, the man that developed those eye problems. He admitted he had the eye surgeries after other people on the myopia group forced him to come clean in the past and recently. A eye doctor brainwashed him into using the plus lens when he was young. He used it for life.
Otis's friend is still using the plus lens after many years and now has to wear to see clear up close.

Tell it to the children that the plus lens people force to wear plus lenses; they quickly develop addiction to glasses, their eye, brain health, function is lowered.
Tell it to the blind man; glaucoma and black cataract after years wearing plus lens.
The girl that developed CSR; blindness due to blood vessels leaking fluid in the retina.
Other students developed cataract from wearing reading glasses; the plus lens is reading glasses.
The many senior citizens that develop cataract after being prescribed stronger and stronger reading glasses. My Mom included.
Some 40 years and up people that start wearing reading glasses (plus lenses); the eyes soon develop increased blur, need a stronger pair of glasses, then onto more problems.
Lot of students asking for help wore reading glasses, plus lens. When they stop the glasses, the cataracts, even the CSR... reversed. The eye docs never told these people the truth. They were prescribing stronger and stronger glasses waiting for the cataract and other eye problems to increase so they can sell the surgery.

I will always post the truth when I see a plus lens referral.
When using the plus lens (or any glasses); sometimes strain, beginning of harm occurs quickly (this is good because the person realizes its a sign to stop wearing the glasses) but other times the plus lens does not show the impairment to vision, eye health until a few years after the person is addicted to them.

The Bates method is not about wearing eyeglasses. Dr. Bates tells people to stop wearing glasses for quick results. He has allowed some patients to reduce, weaken their myopia prescription as the distant vision improves. (and for reading vision; reduces the plus lens) He does not prescribe opposite lenses; plus for myopia or negative for close reading vision. Bates prefers no glasses. Wearing any type eyeglasses when the eye, vision problem is advanced can result in sudden detached retina, cataract... so its best to avoid glasses.

Eye doctors that sell glasses, contacts, surgery, lasik, eyedrops love the plus lens method because it results in vision impairment, people are then sent to the eye doctor for surgery. Is someone getting kickbacks $ for each patient referred to the surgeon? The majority of eye doctors will not do a study on the method because it will show the harmful results; they lose money selling stronger glasses, surgery.

Re: Ted's vision blog - Bifocal - 06-29-2013

Clarknight,
Again another rant with no scientific evidence.

Re: Ted's vision blog - clarknight - 06-29-2013

Ok, lets keep it simple;

Dr. Bates states that the reading of fine and microscopic print (without eyeglasses) with relaxation brings clear eyesight. It is a natural safe alternative to the Plus Lens method. It produces clear close and far vision, reverses, prevents myopia and presbyopia. It returns the eye muscles to normal function and the eye to normal shape, correct focus of light rays, clear eyesight at all distances. It prevents cataract and other eye problems. I had very positive results with it, since age 40 still see clear.

People that sell the plus lens never mention this. True Bates Method teachers will use the fine and microscopic print practice. It perfects central fixation, accommodation, convergence, eye movements, 'saccades'. It's safe and improves eye health.

Re: Ted's vision blog - ted - 07-18-2013

An update on progress:

I've gone through many different phases lately, somethings seemingly working, some working well, some working for a long time, then falling off a little. But, I think slowly I'm getting a feel for what's working, what helps, what doesn't. I feel like there's so many overlapping after effects of things I do such as just sitting up straight, relaxing the eyes and face, palming, sunning, exercise, etc. It all helps, sure, so it gets to the point where you can't rely on just one thing, one "technique" to fix everything.

I really think it's about changing your life. Subtle things that add up to change your life. Like you can get in a situation, with the techniques described on this forum and Bates, in which things add up just right to promote a vision improvement, and maybe some more relaxation or something. One way to maybe think about it is, I know what DOESN"T work. I know what things DON"T help my situation. Also, you really can't discount a technique, especially one described by Bates or by someone who has had success with it, until you have given it a through trial. I say this because there are Bates techniques I've yet to try because of laziness, or because something else seems to be working at the time. There are so many things to try that something has got to work, at least a little bit.

Usually, my problem lay in not giving a technique enough time or ending too soon. Say your trying something. You have to really give it your all, and be into it, because if someone is taking the time to write out or describe to you a technique, they must of had some faith in it. They must have some results. Everyone's different, but we're all human, and our eyes work pretty much the same way. Even our minds work relatively the same way. So what helps one person will likely benefit another, at least somewhat, if you can find out how it was actually helping the other, and do those things that they did to improve/maintain better vision.

That's about all.

Re: Ted's vision blog - ted - 09-06-2013

I've been reading a lot of older posts on this forum, reading some from William McCracken, and experimenting daily. The older posts are still very much relevant and can be very helpful, if you get bored of seeing the same posts on the forum. And McCracken has a good way of explaining Bate's concepts, which allows you to understand them in a different perspective but still coming from the same era as Bates.

So some things that have been working lately:

-Just imagining what good vision and effortless shifting would feel like. How my entire body would feel, how I would be more open to things, how my eyes would easily and quickly move to interests and study things with genuine interest. How I would move in an easier, quicker fashion, a more efficient way. I think this is a good example of thinking positively, thinking only of what you want. If you are completely absorbed in imagining what you want you will have no room to remember strain. But you have to be really honest with yourself, really sincere about what your imagining. And you have to be detailed as well, otherwise it wont be as impressing to the mind.

-Finding a lot of relaxation in swinging. You can even see a swing when walking. You can notice that objects bounce up and down due to your head bobbing up and down with each step. And I think it really helps during actual swinging sessions to use a scenery that has varying distances. This allows you to see the relative motion of things, helping create a 3-D view of the world. I've had some nice clear flashes while doing this. I think this is why it is recommended to swing while looking out a window. As arocarty has mentioned, even just a slight swaying of your body, an inch or so, can be enough to see things moving. You also don't need to even move your entire body, it could just be your head, and I guess eventually you want to get where you notice this motion with just an eye movement.

-Walking just seems to be a good way to promote movement. You get new visual stimuli all the time, you see things moving both from the swing and actual moving objects. I went for along walk last night with the goal in mind to keep shifting my gaze as comfortably and continuously as I could, paying special attneiont to where my attention wanted to look and doing my best to follow it. I think as, eaglevision has mentioned, people with higher degrees of myopia have a real problem with shifting effortlessly. I think I'm just going to keep shifting, regardless of feeling, because in my current state, I still don't know the difference very well between what is effortful and what is something that I'm just avoiding doing. I don't quite have a handle on what the right things to do are, fully. But I'm closer to knowing. Once I've experimented enough, and convinced myself of what are the correct things to do to promote vision, then I will place more and more emphasis on that. At the moment, I am getting a handle on knowing how to shift, sensing when to shift, when to blink, etc. It's going to take time, but I will eventually get it.

Humans are creatures of adaptation. We are first placed in an environment, and then we adapt, not the other way around. So I think we need to first move ourselves into the environment of continual shifting and continual blinking no matter how uncomfortable, and then over time adapt to it, making it less effortful and more natural. This is where people get confused thinking that being in a new environment is a strain and that they should avoid it. Again, it's not about what is comfortable, it is about what's right. By right, I mean what promotes better vision and better mental effectiveness.

Kind of contradictory to what I just said but, I think I know enough about vision improvement from reading material and this forum. It's just time to start really getting experience, to really start doing something, and really experiment with sincerity.

Re: Ted's vision blog - ted - 09-12-2013

A couple things happened the past two days that were interesting.

-Yesterday I was doing a test, and I really couldn't figure it out, so I was getting patient and starting to panic for time. I eventually was able to relax and remember what calmness was like, I slowed down, I started breathing slower, and just began to relax. To relax and to let my mind free. Eventually the idea just came to me on how to solve the problem. I finished the problem easily after that.

Lesson: Sometimes, as they say, "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." Getting impatient and doing things faster is not always the best solution.

-Today I set my alarm for 30 minutes, sat on my couch, and declared myself some "do nothing" time. It was the first time I had allowed myself to not be doing anything. I was just sitting on my couch, drinking my tea, and that's about it. I didn't let myself get on the computer, watch TV, practice eye techniques, etc. Just nothing. And it was beneficial.

Re: Ted's vision blog - ted - 09-23-2013

I see something majorly important here, that I'd like to address. As I sit here on this computer, working through this lab report, I find myself getting more and more tense, more and more anxious, and trying to get it done faster and faster. I start to ignore feelings of tension in my body. I start to plunge faster into intently getting the work done. I struggle, seeing other people get done faster, while my mind is scatter brained and at a disease. I finally realize this, I realize what I'm doing to myself. Now comes the choice. I've learned many times over and over again that "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast." I've learned it experientially, actually. So I know this. So now comes the choice. I can either choose to continue that intense/straining/effortful push to be faster.more efficient/more precise whatever, or I can take a step back and relax a little. I can allow myself to breath. Literally.

Then comes in the mind, wanting to get things going again, wanting to get "back on track," thinking that you are wasting precious time by slowing down, by relaxing. And sure, you can spend too much time relaxing to where you don't get anything done. But c'mon, be realistic. You know there is a balance between relaxation and tension. Don't get all absolutist about it.

So in times like this you have to be able to reset, to take a step back (maybe even literally), to breath, to relax. Think about....why are you wanting to go so fast? Why are you tensing? Why are you getting impatient? Is it worth the abuse to your body?

It's really important, I think, to not get absolutist. Things are oftentimes not absolute. I think us humans like to digitize and compartmentalize things in order to understand them more easily. But on further inspection, a lot of those things are analog, meaning they are very relative, only work some times, and can't be forced. So when someone tells you something, don't take it as absolute, because people have slightly different definitions of words, and so the meaning they are trying to convey will probably be interpreted slightly different by you. Well that's about it for now.

Re: Ted's vision blog - ted - 11-17-2013

"Primarily, the strain to see is a strain of the mind, and, as in all cases in which there is a strain of the mind, there is a loss of mental control. Anatomically, the results of straining to see at the distance may be the same as those of regarding an object at the near-point without strain, but in one case the eye does what the mind desires and in the other it does not." -Bates

This quote came to mind recently. I want to pull it apart and describe what I think he's getting at.
".....there is a loss of mental control..........in one case the eye does what the mind desires and in the other it does not."
I think this is true for the entire body, not just the eyes. But what does he mean by "what the mind desires?" I think this could basically be saying that in one situation the mind is behaving normally and harmoniously, and in the other it is not. This disharmonious mind, or thoughts, whatever that stuff is that happens in the mind, is what is triggering the impulses to move the eye. So I'm thinking it's not necessarily that the eyes are not doing what the mind desires, but that the mind is not doing what WE desire. In turn, this mind controls the impulses to the eye, hence the trouble. So the idea is by changing what is going on in our mind, working with our attention as some might say, then we can indirectly affect what goes on in our eyes. So don't spend time trying to fix the symptoms (poor vision/eye strain), instead focus on fixing the root cause (something with the way you think or use your mind on a regular basis). And since this is something that apparently we are keeping up constantly throughout the day in our mental processes that continues bad vision, this may require a high level of continual present moment awareness to catch yourself each time you make a "mistake" whatever that is, and instead do the right thing. Maybe this means correcting yourself 5 times a minute or more, depending on how aware you are of subtle tensions, or how much tensions you even have (maybe your close to normal sight and have relatively fewer).

I think that's what he means by "mental control." The ability to stop yourself, or change, when you feel that this strain is no longer necessary and can be dropped. Or the ability to refrain from doing something that you know you will regret later and ask yourself "why did I do that?". And I don't think this has to be hard of tedious, it's more of just a decision. A decision to do something better, that each moment you feel unnecessary strain, you decide to drop it. I wouldn't necessarily call that hard, it's more of having the courage to change, and then actually doing it. And then doing it again with the next challenge that comes up, and again, and again, until you have a new habit of making the right decision in those strenuous situations.

What I'm getting at is eventually you have to move away from Bates' methods and incorporate good vision habits into every moment. And as David said in a blog post, in any situation there's always a right thing to do. There's always something that you can do which will maintain or promote good vision. So that's one thing I remind myself when I'm in situations when I can't do these techniques or practices; there's something I can currently do (or maybe "not do") that will improve my vision. What is it?

Like I was getting at earlier, I think getting yourself used to applying good vision habits will overtime become more habitual, and then more natural, and maybe eventually you wont have to hardly think about it, like someone who has always had 20/20 and never gave it a second thought.

Again, all this stuff is just speculation, theory. I'm not sure about it and haven't improved my vision enough to be certain about things. I'm just throwing it out there to see what you all think about it.

RE: Ted's vision blog - ted - 08-22-2014

It's been a long while since posting, a lot has happened.

I feel like I'm finally understanding and knowing when something is working. For a long time, maybe a year, I did so many things and felt different sensations, but I didn't know what was actually right or not. Like, I didn't even know the difference between subtle pain vs. subtle relaxation. And I think it's still confusing. Because of this, there is a big leap of faith and continual trust that has to be implemented, on the daily (at least for me). And it's not hard for me to believe that these things actually work, and are working. And every time I get to another level, I believe in this process more and more.

I'd like to talk about the mental side. I spend a lot of time on my bed just palming or just laying there, maybe moving around how ever I feel. Basically, I think it's important to change it up a lot. I think that's one of the most fundamental things going on here: that you have to relearn to continually let go, to relearn that what you actually want to do is move on, and that doing this is easier, it feels better, and is healthier for your mind and body.

I'm just starting to notice these things in people too. You can easily tell when someone is straining, whether that be in listening to you, or if they're trying to think of something. They furrow their brows, they pause, they lock up. It's pretty obvious to see that they are slightly uncomfortable. On the flip side, I really like observing and being around people with good eyesight. They seem to have this flow, this effortless flow to their movements, and to their minds. They converse better. They seem happier, they are just very at ease and enjoying wherever they are.

So, as far as techniques go, I'll say first that I'm still in the process of improvement, and techniques definitely have their place. But, the idea and ultimate goal is to do what people with normal vision do without even thinking about it. So care must be taken, and techniques should not be clinged to. Try something else, take a leap, change things up. Just keep that in mind.

Breathing is vital. I take so many relaxing exhales throughout the day. I heard from many places and experienced the fact that the actual relaxation takes place on the exhale. Try exhaling into a pillow. Notice how it slows your exhale and after a few exhales you will probably feel that relaxation I'm talking about.

Imagination. I'm still foggy on this, but there's definitely something going on there. If you prioritize imagination, strain and thoughts about the eyes disappear as a matter of just logic. You can't strain/think about the eyes while being entrenched in a good visualization, a good memory or something similar. So keep that in mind. Also, I've heard that imagining moving scenes, imagining different parts of an object or different objects in sequence is also great. According to Bates, that's how the normal mind actually functions, so it sounds legit to me.

And movement, swinging has been of great help. Whenever I don't know what to do but I know I feel stuck, I just move my body. You gotta do whatever you gotta do to feel better, each moment. You know what to do. Imagine you are always dancing. Imagine it. It'll change you for the better. Dancing for real is also just superb. It's an excellent way to enjoy life, to keep up physical activity, and to feel what a good flow of mind should always be like.

So dance with your mind, dance with your body, dance with your eyes. Greg Marsh talk about putting love into your eyes. That's what it is. I feel like people generally know what love means to them, even if the word is somewhat overused and, I guess, become desensitized. But if you know what that means, that feeling whatever it is, is what we are in search for more.

So yeah, you instincually know what you have to do, basically. Just do it.

RE: Ted's vision blog - sleepmaster - 08-23-2014

If you've been at this since the fall of 2012, how much has your vision improved?

RE: Ted's vision blog - ted - 08-24-2014

I don't know for sure. I don't really use an eyechart much. I know it's gotten easier to clear my vision by relaxing my mind, but as far as having lasting improvements, I'm not so sure. I don't really like to say "permanent improvement" because that sounds too much like it's black or white or it's like an all or nothing type of thing. It isn't at least in my experience.

The way I like to see it is if your mind is flowing freely and clearly, then your eyes will be as well, so the focus should be on improving the condition of the mind.

That leads me to thinking about another thing: What is the best way for someone to go about improving their vision? I've come to the conclusion on this that every person's experience of vision improvement is going to be quite different, but will have some underlying themes with others' experience.So the best way to go about improving can be well summed up with Bruce Lee's quote, "Obey the principles without being bound by them."

To me it seems like the cures that Bates and others from that time talk about were so quick, and we don't see that as much these days. Maybe it's just that he saw so many patients that he had some great examples to write about in his book and articles. There's definitely some people today that have seen really great quick progress early on, and I'm trying to figure out how they did that.