MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
How to keep flashes of clear vision? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
How to keep flashes of clear vision? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: How to keep flashes of clear vision? (/showthread.php?tid=2243)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - eaglevision - 11-16-2012

@lou_deg the way I get flashes is just in the methods I posted here on this page, I had glasses for 15 years and I think what made it really worse was I used to play computer games for hours especially online shooting ones which is the worst, which would make me really tense after playing them. so when I started bates method I completely cut out all the gaming which I was happy about, because I think this alone was the root of a few dioptres, and I do have astigmatism in both my eyes.
Thanks

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - Deliverance - 11-16-2012

Video games are really a backseat for our mind, we can start quickly to strain our body without being conscious of it. After hours of playing games we end up in a state of anxiety and general unbalance. I played video games for years, I can blame my vision problems to a careless computer use in my early teen age, when i realized of it, the damage was already done.

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - arocarty - 11-17-2012

@eaglevision: based on what you've said, sounds like you really have a lot of time on your hands. You're not working, not in school, spend a couple hours outdoors a day, maybe a couple hours practicing vision related things... don't watch tv. Assuming you sleep an average 8 hours, that would leave you around 12 hours a day of nothing to do but think about tomorrow, or whatever else your mind can stir up to keep it occupied. A mind that isn't occupied, and engaged on things that are of interest to you, is a mind that can get real antsy, bored. Yes, this can be a mental strain, and isn't going to help you attain the frame of mind that helps improve sight. There are no visual exercises to help that situation. Hopefully, you can find some activities that interest you that will help engage and challenge your mind more... are you able to volunteer you time for anything also, which would help get you out and about, being around other people ? are there any classes you'd like to take, something that doesn't demand a high level of distance vision - cooking, yoga, etc.?

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - eaglevision - 11-17-2012

Yes, that could be right as I know I should be working and being more productive and I have been saying to myself that I will work when my vision goes 20/40, as I think I will find work a little difficult and I do not want to wear even weaker glasses, But I never thought that this these thoughts themselves may be hindering my results, But I will have to find out, I will try working for a few months and see how it goes from there.
Thanks for all the help.

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - Daniel - 11-17-2012

eaglevision Wrote:Yes, that could be right as I know I should be working and being more productive and I have been saying to myself that I will work when my vision goes 20/40, as I think I will find work a little difficult and I do not want to wear even weaker glasses, But I never thought that this these thoughts themselves may be hindering my results, But I will have to find out, I will try working for a few months and see how it goes from there.
Thanks for all the help.
If you don't need to work, you probably shouldn't, unless you can find a job for which your vision is not a problem at all. It would be better to find some new hobbies that don't require especially good eyesight. One thing to try if you haven't is juggling. Here's something to get you started: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEv_G63V-Ns">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEv_G63V-Ns</a><!-- m --> If you really get into it, juggling can occupy a lot of time, with a virtually unlimited number of tricks you can learn.

@Daniel I understand how working would usually slow vision progress but I feel I really want to start working, and I do actually need to work and I would like to be a train driver or something that I will enjoy but I need 20/20 for that so I will have to wait longer than expected. What I have learned now though, is that in the past year it seems no matter how much exercises I did (which was for too much) it only had temporary improvement (a few hours a day) but instead I need to be mentally happy which is what I now know my mind desires, and then hopefully the vision will stay for good.

In that case, I hope you find a job that you can do without glasses. If your regular vision is actually 20/80, that probably won't be too hard. I say if not because I doubt your honesty, but because I sometimes question whether people are accurately measuring their acuity.

I know what you mean as peoples eye charts are in different lighting conditions and mine is near a window and is always in the light, so I don't know if mine is 100% accurate either.

eaglevision Wrote:my little brother who is also doing eye exercises started at -5ish about when I started then went to have an eye exam recently and the eye doctor said he was now -3.25ish and I have a bit better vision than him now at the close and at very far so im probably around -3ish he has to use his glasses more so his progress is slower.
And surprisingly the doctor was curious and asked how he did it, and told him to carry on whatever he was doing which was good,
The doctor would doubtless be interested in your own case as well. If we can get more doctors interested in this, things might change.

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - woblaud - 11-18-2012

I really do believe myopia is likely brought on by modern environment factors hence disease of civilization. So I think it's great, you're taking charge and decided to take some time off and focus on your health!

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - Deliverance - 11-18-2012

"[...]and to advertise whenever and wherever they have an opportunity the good news that the eye is not a blunder of nature, as the textbooks teach, but an instrument as perfectly adapted to the needs of civilized man as to those of the savage..." "...All parents should be told that they have it in their power to prevent and cure defects of vision in their children and at the same time to improve their health and increase their mental efficiency" July 1920. Better Eyesight Magazine.

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - arocarty - 11-18-2012

Daniel Wrote:I say if not because I doubt your honesty, but because I sometimes question whether people are accurately measuring their acuity.

Maybe a whole other discussion/topic itself, but what, exactly is the definitive/official way of measuring acuity? And can we assume that all optometrists and eye doctors are adhering to those guidelines? They all seem to have somewhat different ways of doing it, for example:
Some may use an eyechart, some may use a projector;
If they dim the light, are they all dimming it exactly the same amount? Is the ambient light the exact same?
Is the surface projected on have the same reflective quality? Are they using the same eye charts?
Some measure at 20 feet, some at only 10 ft. w/ a mirror, because the room isn't long enough. USA uses feet, other countries use meters, or the 6/6 standard.
Is there anyone monitoring the accuracy and consistency of their equipment and procedures? Do they routinely calibrate equipment? Knit picky things, I know, but sometimes it can mean the difference of accurately recognizing a few lines of letter or symbols.

When my wife was undergoing some problems with her eyes, I went w/ her to the eye doctors, and when testing her acuity, they dimmed the lights way, way down, so the light on the chart was extremely dim. I said to myself, wow, I've never seen it done THAT way:\

I try my best to keep my chart conditions exactly the same. I have a standard snellen, hung about 6 ft high, with a 60 watt light cast on it from a couple feet. It's usually dark outside when I use it, so as to ensure that the level of ambient light is consistent (none, other than what the chart light is casting) I have no other lights on in the room, and often stand in the adjacent hallway well beyond 20 feet where its even darker. I've done it this way for years, same chart, same light, same room, when it's dark out.

I agree that one should try to try to keep the conditions as consistent as possible when recording their visual acuity, and try to duplicate the conditions to the extent possible experienced at the optometrists/ophthalmologists. If the conditions under which you've measured it are drastically different, than maybe it would be good to just note that - my acuity was such and such, under these conditions. (in my sunroom, in my darkroom, indoors, outdoors, with a 1000 watt bulb, etc..) Then the information is immediately available. Not for every little gain, perhaps just when sharing major gains. ??

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - arocarty - 11-18-2012

As an addendum to my previous ramble, maybe David could create a section somewhere that give some simple instructions on what to use and how to measure visual acuity. A note could be made somewhere in the introductory material pointing to it, and encouraging folks to use it when reporting significant progress. Some standards would have to be discussed and agreed upon, but then there is at least something. It might not be perfect, but if someone was not sure, they could ask if it was done according to the instructions available on the site. Thoughts?

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - Daniel - 11-18-2012

arocarty Wrote:Maybe a whole other discussion/topic itself, but what, exactly is the definitive/official way of measuring acuity? And can we assume that all optometrists and eye doctors are adhering to those guidelines? They all seem to have somewhat different ways of doing it, for example:
Some may use an eyechart, some may use a projector;
If they dim the light, are they all dimming it exactly the same amount? Is the ambient light the exact same?
Is the surface projected on have the same reflective quality? Are they using the same eye charts?
Some measure at 20 feet, some at only 10 ft. w/ a mirror, because the room isn't long enough. USA uses feet, other countries use meters, or the 6/6 standard.
Maybe that's part of the reason that there's no definite correlation between diopters and acuity? Regardless, it sounds like eaglevision has gotten truly remarkable improvement, and I hope that s/he is able to finish the job.

Re: How to keep flashes of clear vision? - Daniel - 11-18-2012

A question for eaglevision: other than testing your vision, did you do any work with the eye chart? I.e. practice shifting between letters, look at letters and then close your eyes and imagine them, shift between a near chart and a distant chart.