MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Better Eyesight Magazine - Subjects, Articles, Practices - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Better Eyesight Magazine - Subjects, Articles, Practices - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: David's method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Better Eyesight Magazine - Subjects, Articles, Practices (/showthread.php?tid=2261)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Better Eyesight Magazine - Subjects, Articles, Practices - clarknight - 07-15-2013

See how glasses are made; go 1/4 way through video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh8DfzPyZPQ
Searching for old Natural Eyesight videos by Dr. William H. Bates and Emily Leirman or Emily Bates. 1890 to 1950...
Got one reply from California but guy seems too weird. Wants $500.00 and won't show me a clip. Now not answer e-mail 2 weeks.
Keep trying on YouTube. Keep your 'eyes open' for the Doctor! Might see Dr. Bates in a video as he worked as Ophthalmologist. Everyone search and repost it!

RE: Better Eyesight Magazine - Subjects, Articles, Practices - ted - 12-10-2013

February, 1921 Better Eyesight Magazine

THE PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF PAIN BY THE MIND

Anyone who has normal vision can demonstrate in a few moments that when the memory is perfect no pain is felt, and can produce pain by an attempt to keep the attention fixed on a point. To do this proceed as follows:

+ Look at a black letter, close the eyes and remember it.
+ Look at the letter again and again close the eyes and remember it.
+ Repeat until the memory is equal to the sight.
+ Now press the nail of one finger against the tip of another. If the letter is remembered perfectly, no pain will be felt.
+With practice it may become possible to remember the letter with the eyes open. - See more at: http://www.iblindness.org/#sthash.ekDGyBh7.dpuf

This was recently posted in the chat. There are a lot of loaded meanings in those few words. I'm starting to see that this was how Bates went about it. For the longest time while starting the Bates Method I honestly didn't believe what he said. I want to take a look at a couple things here that seem unbelievable, unless you look at them a certain way. Also, the definition of words likely has changed since Bates' time so something like "pain" might be slightly misinterpreted these days.

"Anyone who has normal vision can demonstrate in a few moments that when the memory is perfect no pain is felt, and can produce pain by an attempt to keep the attention fixed on a point."

I think by pain, he just means a very subtle feeling. At least, it's subtle to those that can even sense it (people with normal vision). It may not even be noticeable to someone with poor vision, which is probably why he explicitly states that this can be felt by people with normal vision.

"+ Now press the nail of one finger against the tip of another. If the letter is remembered perfectly, no pain will be felt."

He doesn't mean no sensation will be felt, just that there won't be that added....."umph" in it. And I think it's that little bit of extra, unnecessary effort, if continued multiple times a minute all day long that would lead to excess stress and bad vision.

What do you all think?

RE: Better Eyesight Magazine - Subjects, Articles, Practices - arocarty - 12-10-2013

(12-10-2013, 02:28 PM)ted Wrote: February, 1921 Better Eyesight Magazine

THE PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF PAIN BY THE MIND

Anyone who has normal vision can demonstrate in a few moments that when the memory is perfect no pain is felt, and can produce pain by an attempt to keep the attention fixed on a point. To do this proceed as follows:

+ Look at a black letter, close the eyes and remember it.
+ Look at the letter again and again close the eyes and remember it.
+ Repeat until the memory is equal to the sight.
+ Now press the nail of one finger against the tip of another. If the letter is remembered perfectly, no pain will be felt.
+With practice it may become possible to remember the letter with the eyes open. - See more at: http://www.iblindness.org/#sthash.ekDGyBh7.dpuf

This was recently posted in the chat. There are a lot of loaded meanings in those few words. I'm starting to see that this was how Bates went about it. For the longest time while starting the Bates Method I honestly didn't believe what he said. I want to take a look at a couple things here that seem unbelievable, unless you look at them a certain way. Also, the definition of words likely has changed since Bates' time so something like "pain" might be slightly misinterpreted these days.

"Anyone who has normal vision can demonstrate in a few moments that when the memory is perfect no pain is felt, and can produce pain by an attempt to keep the attention fixed on a point."

I think by pain, he just means a very subtle feeling. At least, it's subtle to those that can even sense it (people with normal vision). It may not even be noticeable to someone with poor vision, which is probably why he explicitly states that this can be felt by people with normal vision.

"+ Now press the nail of one finger against the tip of another. If the letter is remembered perfectly, no pain will be felt."

He doesn't mean no sensation will be felt, just that there won't be that added....."umph" in it. And I think it's that little bit of extra, unnecessary effort, if continued multiple times a minute all day long that would lead to excess stress and bad vision.

What do you all think?

Ted,

Bates states in a couple places, don't remember exactly where, that those who strain the most often feel the least - because they have conditioned themselves to it. That is the general condition of the myope - they suppress over long periods of time the uncomfortableness of it all, even the pain, if slight pain is a part of it. Numbness, lack of sensation, is the norm, where someone with normal sight would instantly sense something is wrong and do something to correct it, or avoid whatever it is. He had people with normal sight do very similar tests, and documents that they essentially say 'I don't want to do that, it hurts, or pains my eyes.' Not so subtle, sometimes. I don't know if you ever regain all that sensitivity back, but sometimes it sure seems like you gain a significant amount of it. Pain is good, it's the body's way of letting us know we need to change something, usually something not beneficial to our sight.

[eccentric fixation]
"The discomfort and pain may be absent, however, in the chronic condition, and it is an encouraging symptom when the patient begins to experience them." (Chapt. XI, PSWG)

RE: Better Eyesight Magazine - Subjects, Articles, Practices - ted - 12-12-2013

[quote='arocarty' pid='18442' dateline='1386734164']
I don't know if you ever regain all that sensitivity back, but sometimes it sure seems like you gain a significant amount of it.
[eccentric fixation]

Why do say that arocarty? If you have normal sight I'd think that means you are responding to those subtle signs just as well as someone who never had bad eyesight.

RE: Better Eyesight Magazine - Subjects, Articles, Practices - arocarty - 12-17-2013

(12-12-2013, 10:03 PM)ted Wrote: [quote='arocarty' pid='18442' dateline='1386734164']
I don't know if you ever regain all that sensitivity back, but sometimes it sure seems like you gain a significant amount of it.
[eccentric fixation]

Why do say that arocarty? If you have normal sight I'd think that means you are responding to those subtle signs just as well as someone who never had bad eyesight.

Even people who you say have never had bad eyesight have had bad eyesight. Nobody is immune to it It's just a matter of how long it is held in that state. That includes children, especially children, as that is where much of it all starts. (read the story of Phebe, a 10 yr. old who could draw the moons of Jupiter, but when asked to do math, something she disliked, she became myopic. BEM Apr. '30) The visual system is extremely sensitive, so much so that, as Bates had easily demonstrated, just deliberately misspelling our name can cause a refractive error. As stated in previous posts, I am not perfect all the time either, but it's more a nuisance, and not a hindrance to anything. It doesn't take much to get quickly back on track, with a little deliberate shifting, or noticing movement in the periphery, or taking a couple breaths and relaxing tensions, or remembering or imagining perfect sight or some other optimism. So in that sense, I still need some work to make it more habitual, and work on an unconscious level.

But do the neural pathways that the myope has developed ever get erased, partially or completely, after recovery? Don't know of any studies on recovered myopes and how they respond to the subtle signs of refractive error. And I seriously doubt they'll ever be in our lifetime. I think some will always have some susceptability, and will need to need to sometimes consciously use some technique they learned if they find themselves slipping back into bad habits.

RE: Better Eyesight Magazine - Subjects, Articles, Practices - ted - 12-17-2013

Arocarty,

It makes one wonder the original cause of myopia; why some people respond to things by doing something that leads to vision problems (or not recovering quickly enough from a disturbance) and others do not. Robert Lichtman's "Myopia as an Adaptation" has some good theories about it. I can only think that it's a combination of many behaviors that add up overtime, but there again it seems like these could stem from another "source" or root cause.

Bates seems to sum it up by saying that bad vision is simply caused by a wrong thought. A wrong thought that leads to a motor impulse in the muscles of the eye, causing them to tighten. Something along those lines. Makes sense to me. And I think what he meant was that these "wrong thoughts" might be occurring every second or so in the person with vision problems, making the strain continuous.