MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Skeptical after a year of following the Bates method. - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Skeptical after a year of following the Bates method. - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Skeptical after a year of following the Bates method. (/showthread.php?tid=2270)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Skeptical after a year of following the Bates method. - Nini - 01-03-2013

Quote:One other question: How do you deal with not being able to see very well when not wearing glasses? It's frustrating not being able to read something right in front of me, or people talking to me in a group setting and I don't even know they're talking directly to me because I can't see their face. Plus, having unsupportive family and friends who just tell me to put on some glasses is nerve racking.
I know, it is really annoying when other people are more than sceptical, maybe even mocking about you.

If you can't keep cool and tell yourself that: "This is my decision, I don't have to please them and if this is a problem for them, that doesn't have to concern me." - and put yourself under the pressure to prove everybody that you are able to see enough without glasses, then you will be adding strain and see even worse.

I've read that you use weaker glasses, but only when you absolutely need them; maybe you should 'allow' yourself to wear them in such situations too. I mean glasses, which are strong enough to read about 20/50 or 20/40. This would be more comfortable and maybe lead to more relaxation.
And you can take them off whenever you feel better without.
Once you can read the 20/20 with the weaker glasses, you can get a still weaker pair and so on.
This 'method' can be very successful for people who have difficulties to keep their eyes relaxed without glasses because they need to see clearly (at least to some extend) in situations or who can't bear the blur.
Some vision teachers even recommend weaker glasses the whole day for all those people who have more than 3 diopters. And there are people, who have very successfully worked their way down to 0 diopters step by step.

Quote: I'll try and focus on one thing at a time
Have you read Davids latest Blog post?
This is very helpful to train the habit focussing a detail without straining.

Re: Skeptical after a year of following the Bates method. - Daqwenia - 01-06-2013

Nini Wrote:I've read that you use weaker glasses, but only when you absolutely need them; maybe you should 'allow' yourself to wear them in such situations too. I mean glasses, which are strong enough to read about 20/50 or 20/40. This would be more comfortable and maybe lead to more relaxation.
And you can take them off whenever you feel better without.
Once you can read the 20/20 with the weaker glasses, you can get a still weaker pair and so on.
This 'method' can be very successful for people who have difficulties to keep their eyes relaxed without glasses because they need to see clearly (at least to some extend) in situations or who can't bear the blur.
Some vision teachers even recommend weaker glasses the whole day for all those people who have more than 3 diopters. And there are people, who have very successfully worked their way down to 0 diopters step by step.
I've tried that, but I've found that my eyes still hurt while wearing glasses, regardless of how strong they were...

Nini Wrote:Have you read Davids latest Blog post?
This is very helpful to train the habit focussing a detail without straining.
No, I have not. I'll get right on that, thanks.