MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: David's method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method (/showthread.php?tid=2280)

about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - husktech - 01-07-2013

I got a question here. I am -4.0 in both eyes and I want to practice the method. My question is that should i wear glasses? I have to work with computer during the day for 8 hours. I can't see the computer if i take my glasses off. How do you guys treat this problem? any suggestions? thanks.

Re: about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - Daniel - 01-07-2013

Others will probably tell you to wear glasses of lesser strength. However, from this forum it appears that only a handful of people have gotten substantial, lasting improvement while still wearing glasses (of any prescription) for hours a day, and these people all appear to have had live, personal help from Bates teachers, sometimes multiple teachers. This lines up with Bates himself, who wrote that if you want to improve without such personal help, you must completely discard glasses. Just something to consider.

Re: about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - Nancy - 01-07-2013

husktech, it's not either-or, discard your glasses and work with a teacher and see wonderful steady improvement, or continue to wear glasses and hardly improve at all. I disagree with Daniel on this point. You can improve no matter what your circumstances. Wear glasses when you need to, to be safe and legal for driving or to get your work done, and see if you can use a weaker prescription when you do need glasses as Daniel says. Notice how your eyes feel -- before reaching for your glasses, if you give your eyes a second or 2, can they see well enough without the glasses, without straining? (When I started seriously trying to go without glasses most of the time I was shocked to see how much I was rushing, grabbing for that clear image without giving it any time to come into focus.) I used to wear a very strong correction all the time, and gradually over years transitioned to wearing glasses less often (taking them off when I was waiting at a stoplight, for example, then putting them back on to drive), moving to making no glasses the default instead of the exception. You might be surprised to find how much you can do without glasses, but don't set yourself up ridiculously high performance standards you will probably not meet, then feel like a failure -- that's not helping. Do what you can, then as you improve, do more.

Re: about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - Daniel - 01-08-2013

Computers are probably better than other desk-work in this regard, since you can get closer to the monitor without hunching forward. See whether you can scoot close enough to see the screen without squinting or hunching your upper body, and then see if you can work effectively like this. At -4 that might be doable, I don't know.

Re: about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - lou_deg - 01-08-2013

Nancy Wrote:Do what you can, then as you improve, do more.
I agree with Nancy's statement. My strongest pair of glasses were L/R of -4.25/-3.75 diopters and some astigmatism. I gradually weakened the prescription with improvement in vision. I don't need glasses to use computers or other near work but still need them to read things at a distance...which is a very small percentage of the time. Coping with the stresses in our lives by producing strain is not healthy and not natural. We each need to figure out how to achieve relaxation. Your -4 is not bad but if you let it get worse you will risk losing your vision.

Re: about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - husktech - 01-08-2013

Daniel Wrote:Others will probably tell you to wear glasses of lesser strength. However, from this forum it appears that only a handful of people have gotten substantial, lasting improvement while still wearing glasses (of any prescription) for hours a day, and these people all appear to have had live, personal help from Bates teachers, sometimes multiple teachers. This lines up with Bates himself, who wrote that if you want to improve without such personal help, you must completely discard glasses. Just something to consider.

That's what i am worried about. I want to totally discard glasses but i have to work with computer. if i don't wear glasses, i can not see anything. It is really a dilemma. Also I feel that wearing glasses will cancel out the my palming efforts.

Re: about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - husktech - 01-08-2013

lou_deg Wrote:
Nancy Wrote:Do what you can, then as you improve, do more.
I agree with Nancy's statement. My strongest pair of glasses were L/R of -4.25/-3.75 diopters and some astigmatism. I gradually weakened the prescription with improvement in vision. I don't need glasses to use computers or other near work but still need them to read things at a distance...which is a very small percentage of the time. Coping with the stresses in our lives by producing strain is not healthy and not natural. We each need to figure out how to achieve relaxation. Your -4 is not bad but if you let it get worse you will risk losing your vision.

I am wearing a -3.00 weaker glasses now. but after palming for two days, I have a headache during the day wearing my glasses.

Re: about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - Nancy - 01-08-2013

Maybe you need weaker than -3, or maybe you need to wear glasses less often. Or maybe you're straining because the -3 glasses are too weak! Headaches mean strain and only you know what you're doing to cause this. (Also be aware that the strain may have always been there, it's just now that you're noticing it. This is a good thing -- better to know that not to know.)

Re: about wearing glasses or not when practicing the method - husktech - 01-09-2013

Nancy Wrote:Maybe you need weaker than -3, or maybe you need to wear glasses less often. Or maybe you're straining because the -3 glasses are too weak! Headaches mean strain and only you know what you're doing to cause this. (Also be aware that the strain may have always been there, it's just now that you're noticing it. This is a good thing -- better to know that not to know.)

I did not wear glasses last night and this morning. It gave me headache. I had to use -4 glasses again. It is frustrated.