MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Success story - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Success story - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Success Stories (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Success story (/showthread.php?tid=2281)

Success story - david01 - 01-07-2013

Hi all, for those of you who don't know, my name is David and I have noticed my vision get worse since the age of 14, however, I wasn't prescribed lenses in the year 2009 (age 15) and saw my eyesight get only worse up until 2012. I came across this forum in only September 2012 (age: 18 and 5 months) and have decided to share with you my success story in the hope that it can help motivate some others who are finding it hard to progress.

Basically, I had seen remarkable improvements in my eyesight over the past 4 months and decided to book an appointment at the optician. I knew my eyesight was better in 2009 than it was before the September of 2012 so I was a little anxious when I went along not knowing if my prescription was gonna be any higher or still the same.

In fact, when I went into the room to get my eyes tested, I could read every line she asked me to with my right eye and all but one with my left eye. I was told my eyes had improved quite a bit since last time and that there was no point in giving me a prescription as it would only make my eyesight worse (there wasn't a prescription weak enough for my right eye and it would only be the first "step" of prescription for my left eye). She also told me to stop wearing the old lenses which were now deemed to strong for my eyes.

Now the real incredible thing about this is that she was measuring my eyesight against my eyesight when I was 15 which was obviously much better than my eyesight when I was 17/ just turned 18. This means that since September 2012, using the Bates method for merely 4 months has returned my eyesight better than it was 3 years ago and possibly more since my eyesight is actually perfect in my right eye, although I know from experience it isn't quite perfect at night.

I think the key to using the Bates method is actually not trying but more concentrating on what you are seeing. Although you sometimes think you are concentrating on what you are seeing you might not be fully. The best way to make sure you are concentrating is to "register" what you see as David says. Also, I don't believe that myopees will benefit from the phrase "don't try to see", this is precisely what I did previously, I just let my eye roll around and look at the air in front of me without actually focusing on anything, if you are myopic from my experience it does seem naturally more difficult to get used to concentrating on objects but the more you do it, I assure you, the more natural and relaxed your eyesight will feel.

Thank you for reading, if you have any questions just pm me or something, I am not on here much though anymore because, although I don't need a prescription, I know my eyesight can still be improved and I'm trying to keep away from computers etc as much as possible at least until my left eye catches up with my right eye. One thing I should also mention is that I wasn't a strongly short sighted person that needed glasses all the time but I was short sighted enough that it was uncomfortable to go about my life previously without corrective lenses.

Re: Success story - Nancy - 01-07-2013

Congratulations on your progress, and thanks for these words. I completely agree.
Quote:I think the key to using the Bates method is actually not trying but more concentrating on what you are seeing. Although you sometimes think you are concentrating on what you are seeing you might not be fully. The best way to make sure you are concentrating is to "register" what you see as David says. Also, I don't believe that myopees will benefit from the phrase "don't try to see", this is precisely what I did previously, I just let my eye roll around and look at the air in front of me without actually focusing on anything, if you are myopic from my experience it does seem naturally more difficult to get used to concentrating on objects but the more you do it, I assure you, the more natural and relaxed your eyesight will feel.

Re: Success story - David - 01-08-2013

david01 Wrote:Also, I don't believe that myopees will benefit from the phrase "don't try to see", this is precisely what I did previously, I just let my eye roll around and look at the air in front of me without actually focusing on anything, if you are myopic from my experience it does seem naturally more difficult to get used to concentrating on objects but the more you do it, I assure you, the more natural and relaxed your eyesight will feel.

I totally agree. It's the non-directed stare that is a major mistake. Trying to see the way the eyes are meant to is great. But people are used to trying to see in a way that's going to fail, so the results of any attempt to do it reinforces the idea that trying to see is bad.

Re: Success story - lensesonlineau - 10-31-2013

Nancy Wrote:Congratulations on your progress, and thanks for these words. I completely agree.
Quote:I think the key to using the Bates method is actually not trying but more concentrating on what you are seeing. Although you sometimes think you are concentrating on what you are seeing you might not be fully. The best way to make sure you are concentrating is to "register" what you see as David says. Also, I don't believe that myopees will benefit from the phrase "don't try to see", this is precisely what I did previously, I just let my eye roll around and look at the air in front of me without actually focusing on anything, if you are myopic from my experience it does seem naturally more difficult to get used to concentrating on objects but the more you do it, I assure you, the more natural and relaxed your eyesight will feel.

Hi Buddy,

It is great for your improvement early.Thanks to this site, they have really unpredictable effort to cure any person as early as possible.

Thanks.

RE: Success story - shinycutestar - 05-26-2014

I guess I don't quite understand what the difference is between concentrating to see and trying to see. When I concentrate on the letters that are blurry to me on the eye chart, am I "straining" my eyes? Am I "trying to see"?

Also, with regards to swinging, should I lock eyes on some object or let my eyes roam around and just look at the air and not actually the scenery? Because I know when I don't try to look at the scenery, it will move in the opposite direction like it's supposed to? But is that wrong?

RE: Success story - Paul888 - 07-08-2014

Quote:Also, I don't believe that myopees will benefit from the phrase "don't try to see", this is precisely what I did previously, I just let my eye roll around and look at the air in front of me without actually focusing on anything
Yes, letting your eyes roll around is pointless, you need to build focusing power, and you cant do that without focusing, just dont stare or force anything Smile (for example don't squeeze your eyes or "hard blink" Smile.

RE: Success story - johnmadden - 08-12-2014

(07-08-2014, 01:57 AM)Paul888 Wrote:
Quote:Also, I don't believe that myopees will benefit from the phrase "don't try to see", this is precisely what I did previously, I just let my eye roll around and look at the air in front of me without actually focusing on anything
Yes, letting your eyes roll around is pointless, you need to build focusing power, and you cant do that without focusing, just dont stare or force anything Smile (for example don't squeeze your eyes or "hard blink" Smile.

If you are trying to focus on something, doesnt that mean you are going to be staring at it, therefore the possiblity of straining your eyes? For example, right now across the room is a DVD player and I can barely see whats on it, I am trying to make out what it says on the box and notice the buttons, when am I specificly trying 'too hard'? Is it when squinting? If so, I don't think I ever try too hard because I don't squint, sometimes I might stare and focus a lot, but never squint.

RE: Success story - Paul888 - 08-12-2014

Quote:If you are trying to focus on something, doesnt that mean you are going to be staring at it,
it's not about "trying" for sure, just the opposite.

I will explain what I mean. When I walk into the room, I will slowly gaze from left to right, but when I notice something that spark my attention, I will look directly at that object. From that moment I will let my eyes do their job (focus)..

If my eyes will not focus clearly on that object in first second, it's ok, I will not try to force them (squint my eyes or something similar like hard blink). Instead I will relax my mind even more than second ago, and while doing that my eyes will start relaxing also.

When I feel relaxation in my eyes, my eyes starts responding and I will see much higher fluctuations in my vision. From now all I need to do is just to "shift" between points, on that object, and my eyes will focus (sooner or later).

You need to realize, that every object is made from details, and by "shifting" I mean, that I will look at every detail possible on that object, so It's not like I'm staring on one point :), instead my eyes are constantly moving (shifting) between details.

This is good ilustration on how my eyes works now. Notice, that guy isnt looking around without actually focusing on anything, he is constantly shifitning and focusing. Hope you can see this scheme now :), first he is looking at object, 2'nd he is searching for details on that object (so he shifts a lot on that object, and NEVER stare)