MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
eye lubrication and accomodation - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
eye lubrication and accomodation - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: eye lubrication and accomodation (/showthread.php?tid=2344)

eye lubrication and accomodation - yodosoBates - 04-05-2013

Eye lubrication seems to affect my eye's ability to accommodate. Has anyone notice a similar connection on their journey?

Specifically, I spend a lot of time on the computer. After a while my eyes have a hard time focusing text on screen. As a myop, I thought my vision up close was degrading and presbyopia was setting in early(I'm only 27). However I find that splashing water into my eyes allows me to comfortably use my vision in short distances again. Is there anything I can eat that can increase my eye lubrication? (The gallon of water I drink everyday does not seem to help)

Re: eye lubrication and accomodation - Nancy - 04-06-2013

I'm guessing you're not blinking enough, a bad habit people get into when they're staring at something near (like a computer) for a long time without regularly shifting their gaze into the distance. Catch yourself doing this and take regular breaks to look out the window, or get up and walk around the room. You should be blinking gently and easily every couple of seconds, more if it's dusty or windy.

About food, make sure you're getting enough omega-3 oils like you'd find in salmon or walnuts, since tears are partly oil. This won't be a "quick fix" if you don't pay attention to your blinking, which I am thinking is the central issue here. Good luck and let us know how it goes.