MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
New site coming soon - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
New site coming soon - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Administration (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: New site coming soon (/showthread.php?tid=2442)

New site coming soon - David - 10-01-2013

I'm in the middle of redesigning iblindness.org to modernize it into a more interactive, user-driven site. There will be frequent new content once it starts up, and lots of new features. Over the last year I've been idly thinking of what I want to turn it into and looking at unrelated websites that have the kinds of features that I want to have here. So it may be several days before the switch over, or quite a bit longer. It all depends on how quickly I can figure out how to tweak a bunch of code and how much time I put into it. But it's going well.

The forum may be moved to new forum software that will integrate with the new site. But we won't lose all the old posts. I'm not yet sure what the effects will be. The biggest issue will probably be that any links you posted to other forum topics will no longer work.

So if you start having trouble loading pages in the coming days or weeks, it's probably because I'm working on switching things over and broke something temporarily.

Re: New site coming soon - shocker - 10-01-2013

Excited to see the changes David!

Let me know if you need any help or want to bounce some ideas. I have php experience (assuming you're staying with php ).

There might be a way to preserve old links via URL routing, assuming the post ids remain preserved.

Re: New site coming soon - ted - 10-09-2013

David,

Maybe you can pass around some other ideas you have for the site and we could give you some feedback?

Re: New site coming soon - Yankes - 10-13-2013

good to hear that the site is going to be renewed.

what about translations? I can provide one in my language. Hope the Bates method will spread over in my country :-)

Re: New site coming soon - David - 10-13-2013

Go ahead and offer more suggestions now or when you see the new site. But I find that every time I add something I think of two more things to add to the list, so I'm going to concentrate on what it needs to launch with and then add more things later. But I can add to the list.

Translations would be possible to add in some way or another. I know the subject of vision improvement does not lend itself well to auto-translations because it's already difficult to describe or understand in English only, and a lot of nuances require a good translation.