MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Glasses - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Glasses - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Glasses (/showthread.php?tid=259)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Glasses - cheletwin2 - 06-18-2007

Azula Wrote:When I got my second pair of glasses this August, I told the optometrist about the vision training program I'd tried, and he said that stuff like that do help but my vision's deteriorating too rapidly for them to keep up.

Is this true? I need my glasses the entire school day, and I need it to read the blackboard/watch TV/computer/reading/pretty much any time of work like that. I really can't read anything without putting my face a foot in front of it, so I can't really try not to wear glasses.

Is it true that if I try to Bates Method, my vision will be worsening too quickly for it to keep up?
After reading all he posts, I feel your orignal questions were not adequately answered.  So I will try to help in a less lenghty paragraph.
My vision WAS closer to 500/20 (or is 20/500, I get confused).  You don't have to stop wearing your glasses entirely, but I would definately get a lower prescription.  Go to Zennioptical.com.  Also, you do not need glasses while watching TV, how much do you really need to see whats going on?  You can always just sit closer.  My vision hasn't improved much in about a year and a half, but it has improved enough that I can tell there is indeed an eyechart hanging on the wall (around 20/450).
Do not use your glasses to read, work on the computer, watch TV etc.  You may have to move the monitor to where it is almost touching your nose and turn on the handicap accessiblity options (Go to Start-Settings-Control Panel and click on the handicap symbol).  Between classes and when not in school, try not to where your glasses (unless you tend to fall and run into things, then put your safety first) and take a few minutes to quickly do some exercises.
I recommend moving your eyes in circles, sunning, then palming.  In fact, you should take a few minutes to also stretch your neck, shoulders, and back (rotate your head, rotate your shoulders, and swing).  Stress tends to propagate throughout the whole body, learn to relax and your vision will improve.
As someone else mentioned, do not where your glasses at all, if possible, during the summer and when not in class.  Put your glasses on only to see the blackboard.  If you have teacher that says everything she writes, don't wear your glasses at all, just take good notes.
For some of us, going without glasses all together is not possible.  I drive 1/2-hour to 45-minutes to work everyday.  I have improved my vision while wearing glasses, though it has been slow.  If I could stay at home all day and just do the relaxing/exercises, my vision would probably improve quickley, but I have a baby to feed and a disables sister with three kids to support, and we all depend on my ability to work.  So, while progress is slow, it is better than nothing.

Re: Glasses - otis - 06-18-2007

Dear Friends,

Subject: Distant vision measurement.

Cheletwin> My vision WAS closer to 500/20 (or is 20/500, I get confused). 

The term "20/20" refers to visual acuity.

The first 20 is always the distance, as 20 feet.

The second number is the size of the letter, 3/8 inch.

For 20/40, the size of the letter is 6/8 inch.

For 20/60, the letter is 1 inch high.

For metric, it is 6/6, or six meters.

Otis