MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Directions from Dr. Bates - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Directions from Dr. Bates - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Directions from Dr. Bates (/showthread.php?tid=2677)

Directions from Dr. Bates - yodosoBates - 01-16-2014

Dr. Bates gives cdirections on achieving a permanent cure in Chapter 24 of "Perfect Sight Without Glasses". What does he mean by Practicing at least an hour a day practicing with a test card? Please give me more details on exactly what he means. Am I to simply shift back and forth from a near and far Snellen Card for an hour?

Quote:
"Children and adults who have worn glasses will have to devote an hour or longer every day to practice with the test card and the balance of their time to practice on other objects. It will be well for such patients to have two test cards, one to be used at the near-point, where it can be seen best, and the other at ten or twenty feet. The patient will find it a great help to shift from the near card to the distant one, as the unconscious memory of the letters seen at the near-point helps to bring out those seen at the distance."

Link:
http://www.iblindness.org/ebooks/perfect-sight-without-glasses/ch24/#sthash.AjXuSjav.dpuf

RE: Directions from Dr. Bates - panda - 01-17-2014

Good question. Reading the chapter on "Shifting" makes me think that he wants us to practice shifting with the card for at least one hour a day, because both chapters share similar points. For example the chapter on shifting is where he first introduces the idea of shifting between a near/far test card, and where he explains how to practice on other objects when a test card is not available. If you read the chapter on "Curing myopia in schools," you will find that there were no specific instructions given to the children except to read the card with one eye at a time. He made a note that children who are wearing glasses should "not be interfered with." I think he means that it won't work for them.

To add to the confusion, Bates even says that people who have worn glasses will have to practice other methods of gaining relaxation that are mentioned in the book, in addition to the 1 hour of practice a day and practice on other objects (he says all this in the same chapter you quoted).

Perhaps the people who have worn glasses have been so damages by glasses that they require practice ten fold? I remember reading in Bates's magazine that just reading the test card every day will eventually heal everyone's eyes, but that we may want to practice In other additional ways to speed up the results. I will see if I can get more info.

RE: Directions from Dr. Bates - arocarty - 01-17-2014

(01-17-2014, 02:51 AM)panda Wrote: Good question. Reading the chapter on "Shifting" makes me think that he wants us to practice shifting with the card for at least one hour a day, because both chapters share similar points. For example the chapter on shifting is where he first introduces the idea of shifting between a near/far test card, and where he explains how to practice on other objects when a test card is not available. If you read the chapter on "Curing myopia in schools," you will find that there were no specific instructions given to the children except to read the card with one eye at a time. He made a note that children who are wearing glasses should "not be interfered with." I think he means that it won't work for them.

To add to the confusion, Bates even says that people who have worn glasses will have to practice other methods of gaining relaxation that are mentioned in the book, in addition to the 1 hour of practice a day and practice on other objects (he says all this in the same chapter you quoted).

Perhaps the people who have worn glasses have been so damages by glasses that they require practice ten fold? I remember reading in Bates's magazine that just reading the test card every day will eventually heal everyone's eyes, but that we may want to practice In other additional ways to speed up the results. I will see if I can get more info.

Be careful with taking Bates' writings in such a black and white and limiting manner. He detailed so much information with so many different populations over 30 years of practice that it can at times seem confusing if you look at it as if it all literally applies to you, or to everyone. There is no magic formula that can be applied that will yield the same exact results for everyone. Bates understood better than anyone of his time or preceding him, that we are not machines, with predictable behavior, that there was a perfectly predictable outcome if this or that was applied, in this or that amount. That defined conventional medicine of his time, and still of our time, unfortunately, with regard to our visual system. He saw so many exceptions to the sacred rules of optics that he had to just throw them away.

In summary, what works for one may not work for another, or as well. One person may practice something for five or ten minutes per day, and get results that you may only get if you practice the same thing for five or ten hours a day. We all respond differently, because we have such physical, mental, psychological differences, all which play into our visual system. A big part of this is a discovery process, discovering what gives you the best results among proper application of many different techniques.

Bates wrote a LOT more about his efforts to bring his method to school children in the pubic school systems He gave a lot of detailed instruction, not only to the children, but to the teachers, on the proper application of this method. Many children would indeed benefit by just looking at the chart, as a familiar object every day. Some would need more instruction, depending on how they were getting along, and to learn the differences between making an effort and seeing effortlessly. He NEVER would have said his method wouldn't work for a child, quite the contrary. But he couldn't just go into a school and tell students to throw away their glasses, else he'd have been thrown out and never had any opportunity to make any impact. Hence he could not 'interfere' with their prescribed lenses, but found it quite satisfying when they 'lost' their glasses.

Again, there's no magic formula, though we naturally desire one, and have been taught this mentality most of our lives. Bates also mentions that he restored vision of old people who wore glasses their entire lives, sometimes FASTER than children who have never worn them. Our eyes are not 'damaged,' rather it's a functional issue. Practice times will vary, but very generally speaking people who have worn lenses will usually need to work on it more, because glasses simply reinforce the ingrained habits. Like putting fuel on the fire. If you want to put it out, you can't keep putting fuel on it, or have to find a way to put less and less on it, until you learn to put none on it. People with normal sight are practicing all day long, though on a more unconscious level. We too, have to practice all day long, wherever we go, whatever we do, until such a time that it becomes more on an unconscious level. There is magic way to speed up results. Learning how to use our eyes correctly, and using them that way all throughout the day is the only way.

RE: Directions from Dr. Bates - yodosoBates - 01-17-2014

Thanks, I understand that no treatment gives a direct route for a cure for every condition. However what he states about the test card seems like it would be at least some benefit to everyone like palming. Does anyone know what Dr. Bates might recommend one to do with a test card for such a prolonged period of time?

RE: Directions from Dr. Bates - arocarty - 01-17-2014

(01-17-2014, 06:24 PM)yodosoBates Wrote: Thanks, I understand that no treatment gives a direct route for a cure for every condition. However what he states about the test card seems like it would be at least some benefit to everyone like palming. Does anyone know what Dr. Bates might recommend one to do with a test card for such a prolonged period of time?

Well, he also said that the eye chart is a pessimism for most people, at first. And until you learn to relax enough, by other means, it may not be as effective to sit in front of it too long and try to force things to happen.

What would people do for an hour with an eye chart, I think is what you were asking, originally? Well, once you find something that helps you to relax, relieve the strain, even temporarily, you practice that in order to gain better and better mental control. That might include palming sessions, just closing the eyes, then flashing the chart for a few seconds then closing/covering them again for a few minutes. It might include shifting from one letter to another, or part of a letter to another, then resting for a few minutes at a time (central fixation). It might mean looking at a chart at very near, closing and remembering the letter, and then opening and looking at an identical card at the distance. It might mean swinging for a few minutes at a times, then viewing the chart briefly. Bates couldn't specify what was done, because he knew better than anyone else that it might be something different for each individual. Whatever it was, was something that helped one look at the chart in a relaxed way, something that helped one relieve mental strain. Be that memory, imagination, swinging, shifting, blinking, breathing, swaying, etc. Don't let yourself get hung up on technicalities, it's far more simple than we can imagine, children can learn just as well as adults. We adults just tend to go way overboard and make it far more complex than it is.

RE: Directions from Dr. Bates - yodosoBates - 01-21-2014

Thank you

RE: Directions from Dr. Bates - panda - 01-22-2014

Arocarty, thank you for your reply. You have been very helpful to me many times on these forums. Smile

(01-17-2014, 05:11 AM)arocarty Wrote: Bates wrote a LOT more about his efforts to bring his method to school children in the pubic school systems He gave a lot of detailed instruction, not only to the children, but to the teachers, on the proper application of this method.

Please cite this. Where did you read/hear it? Or even better: do you have a link to the detailed instructions he gave to the children and teachers on the proper application of his method?

RE: Directions from Dr. Bates - clarknight - 01-22-2014

Bates magazines, medical articles, timeline has alot of the children's information, training. I wish David would place his old BEM's back on here. Great resource and last price was mucho low.

Recently reading Jonathan Barnes book and like it a lot.
I disagree with his statement that if a child under 7 has a vision problem they must wear glasses as doctor prescribed until age 7. Bates and other true teachers state glasses block, impair the brain, eyes, visual systems development. Memory, imagination, ect.

I also got dizzy after trying a auto-stereogram in Jons book. But his other fusion exercises were good, interesting.

All the rest of the book is great. Don't know hwre he learned this other stuff I prefer to avoid.

RE: Directions from Dr. Bates - arocarty - 01-23-2014

(01-22-2014, 04:13 AM)panda Wrote: Arocarty, thank you for your reply. You have been very helpful to me many times on these forums. Smile

(01-17-2014, 05:11 AM)arocarty Wrote: Bates wrote a LOT more about his efforts to bring his method to school children in the pubic school systems He gave a lot of detailed instruction, not only to the children, but to the teachers, on the proper application of this method.

Please cite this. Where did you read/hear it? Or even better: do you have a link to the detailed instructions he gave to the children and teachers on the proper application of his method?

If you want detailed information on how Emily and Dr. Bates treated children, you really need to read the Better Eyesight Magazines. There's too much there to cite. You might want to first focus on the August issues, as they were devoted to children/schoolchildren. Emily has countless stories of children treated at the clinic, and elsewhere.
read them here:
http://www.central-fixation.com/better-eyesight-magazine/