MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Gaining insight from people with normal vision - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Gaining insight from people with normal vision - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: David's method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Gaining insight from people with normal vision (/showthread.php?tid=2793)

Gaining insight from people with normal vision - ted - 07-07-2014

How do you guys go about talking to people with normal vision when you are trying to get insights into what clear vision is like? What kind of questions would you ask them?

"What's it like to see clearly?" That seems a bit too general and I think they wouldn't really know how to answer it.

"Do you ever notice how things throughout the day and/or your feelings effect your vision?" Most people can notice slight vision fluctuations in a day or days so this might be a good one to ask. You might be able to follow up by asking what kind of things they did, or what it was like getting back to clear vision.

"When do you feel most relaxed? Does it seem to coincide with clear vision?" I think this would be a good one to ask as well.

What kind of things did you all talk about and ask people with normal vision on your quest for improvement? What were some of the best pieces of advice you received from them? I'm trying to figure out more ways to extract this unconscious knowledge that people with normal sight have.

I've learned some things from my cousin who has normal vision. He does talk about having fluctuations in vision and having slightly more clarity at times of being more in tune or sensitive, such as when fasting. I've also asked my brother who has normal vision if he seems to be more looking at the world as he looks around of if he is more in his thoughts. He said that he tends to be more in his thoughts, so I'm thinking he must do a lot of visualization. Not the same kind of "lost in thought" as that of a myope, but I don't know for sure.

I'm thinking about an example of when listening to someone, it helps to imagine the things they're describing and forget about the eyes. Emily Bates suggests while reading that you forget about the eyes and let imagination rule. I'm still trying to figure out how imagination in daily life fits in to normal vision, and how much time should be spent in imagination vs. looking. Anyways, thoughts?

RE: Gaining insight from people with normal vision - Aureus - 07-07-2014

I think that people with normal vision take their vision for granted and haven't any clue what the secret for it is.

They don't know what the fovea is or what centric fixation is, they don't palm and don't do sunning and don't feel any tension or strain when they use their eyes. - "Natural vision is effortless." (Leo Angart)

Oh, my uncle when seeing me showing palming to my two cuisins with sligthly impaired vision even said: "What are you doing you three? The eyes are rested in sleep!" He is a driver and has normal vision. And all ill-sighted community thinks that the eyes don't necessarily get rest during sleep...

RE: Gaining insight from people with normal vision - wtfgod - 07-07-2014

As Aureus said, I don't think there is much insight to be gained by asking these individuals about eyesight.

Now on the other hand, what may be of benefit would be to observe individuals with good eye sight vs those without and see what the differences in their lifestyle or practice would be as it pertains to vision. But at the same time one could already guess what the differences would be, mainly close work and stagnation of movement or homogeneity in distance.

RE: Gaining insight from people with normal vision - ted - 07-07-2014

Aureus,

I would bet that people with normal vision do get some good rest of their eyes while sleeping, and that's why plenty of people report having clear vision in the morning. Bates observation that people strain during sleep pertained, I think, to those with poor vision.

People with normal vision don't have to practice any of these techniques that are supposed to get people to where they are, since they do things right unconsciously. I guess what you could do, then, is get them to notice what they are unconsciously doing that maintains good eyesight.

That's why I think asking people what happens from the time that they have slightly blurred vision to when they regain clarity could be useful. Something goes on where they bounce back instead of tumbling downward into poorer vision, and it'd be nice to know how that happened.

RE: Gaining insight from people with normal vision - Mzero - 11-19-2014

My best friend has flawless sight. And he is curious how it's like to see blurry. I would do anything to trade with him just for one day.

I use to ask him questions like how he can have problems in life while having perfect eyesight. Me whenever I see clear I am happy.

Take your hearing (ears) for example. Someone that's deaf could come to you and ask why you take your hearing for granted. Most of us take that your granted, don't we? Apply that to vision.