MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Winter babies more myopic - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Winter babies more myopic - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Complementary Methods (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Winter babies more myopic (/showthread.php?tid=2848)

Winter babies more myopic - arocarty - 09-12-2014

If you were born during the winter months, might explain why you're myopic.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24945317

RE: Winter babies more myopic - clarknight - 09-13-2014

I like pubmed. Lots good information.

RE: Winter babies more myopic - clarknight - 09-13-2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFUQ1_YRmlU

Dr. Bates emphasized rocking, swinging babies, children and adults. Rocking chair, swings, see saw... Activates the swing of opposite movement and normal eye movements 'saccades'. Relaxation.

RE: Winter babies more myopic - Ricky - 09-13-2014

(09-13-2014, 08:46 AM)clarknight Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFUQ1_YRmlU

Dr. Bates emphasized rocking, swinging babies, children and adults. Rocking chair, swings, see saw... Activates the swing of opposite movement and normal eye movements 'saccades'. Relaxation.

Please keep the Bates Method to the Bates section of this forum. this has nothing to do in the Other Theories and Method section.

RE: Winter babies more myopic - David - 09-13-2014

The difference in quality of vision represented by these numbers is pretty small. So this actually doesn't suggest that season has much at all to do with it, but that it only might affect it a tiny bit.

But then the author leaps to the conclusion that it has to do with light level. If this is even statistically significant, it could have to do with countless factors like what's going on in the society or family during certain months, or even certain years could throw off the numbers.

Not that I disagree that sunlight has an effect, but this doesn't support the idea at all.

RE: Winter babies more myopic - Nancy - 09-17-2014

This feels like looking for a reason, any reason, why something is "wrong", then selecting circumstances to fit your pre-formed conclusion. Not very scientific. So are Eskimos more myopic than those born in Africa? I was born in July -- if my birthday was in mid-winter, you are saying my vision would have been even worse growing up? Sorry, but I need more evidence to give this any credibiilty at all. And I don't like sound bites in general, which encourage you to agree or reactively disagree, not to explore possibiiites and nuances.

RE: Winter babies more myopic - arocarty - 04-12-2015

(09-17-2014, 10:57 AM)Nancy Wrote: This feels like looking for a reason, any reason, why something is "wrong", then selecting circumstances to fit your pre-formed conclusion. Not very scientific. So are Eskimos more myopic than those born in Africa? I was born in July -- if my birthday was in mid-winter, you are saying my vision would have been even worse growing up? Sorry, but I need more evidence to give this any credibiilty at all. And I don't like sound bites in general, which encourage you to agree or reactively disagree, not to explore possibiiites and nuances.

Never really thought there was much to this, just thought it might generate some interesting conversation. Well, spring has finally sprung, and the sun nice and bright. It feels wonderful after a dreadfully cold winter in the northeast. Go outside yesterday, and even doing not so fun yard clean up, felt invigorating to be out and moving around. Today promises to be even better.

Myopia and sitting seem to go hand in hand. Getting outside may be beneficial, not just because of the light exposure, but because when people are outside, they are usually NOT SITTING stationary. They're moving in some fashion or other. Children are running around, swinging, jumping, doing all kinds of things that are challenging their visual system to keep up. The benefits of being outdoors may not be due to one factor (natural sunlight), but may be due to a combination of things - light, motion, release of stress and tensions, peripheral and long distance practice. Get out, and, if you have a baby, take he/she for a nice long stroll.

RE: Winter babies more myopic - clarknight - 04-12-2015

Worked in Boston selling newspapers for a year. Had to get up at 5 a.m. 7 mornings week and work in the sun by the railroad tracks in section of South Boston. Got the sunlight for 4 hours. Was great! Felt my mood, health at its best.

I noticed some of the men, ladies were sunning with eyes closed as they waited for the train; they were facing the sun and moving the head side to side. I asked if they did this due to study of the Bates Method. They said no. They just did it naturally as a instinct. None wore glasses.

Miners working underground in artificial and dim light develop eye-vision problems. Still to this day, but its not as bad as it used to be in the old days before better lighting was invented.

Its possible that babies born in winter in areas in lower light might develop the sight to perfection a bit slower. The sight, eyes might grow faster... when the warmer season, brighter sunlight approaches. Along with more movement outdoors. If a sneaky eye doctor placed glasses on the baby; this would prevent the natural complete vision development.

Some very intelligent, KIND people who have studied and used the Bates Method for many years, 'successfully' help people on here for free;
Lets try to be respectful and allow free training on this forum.