MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Vision Blogs (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie (/showthread.php?tid=2878)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Yelaina - 01-02-2015

(01-02-2015, 02:04 AM)Bifocal Wrote: Seeing fine details that close is simply a symptom of being VERY nearsighted.
Agreed,
so do you hve any tips for me?

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Yelaina - 01-06-2015

Mon Jan 5, 2015
* I didn't have any dreams or nightmare, but I felt I could visualize well before i slept.
* before I slept i could see in my mind with my eyes closed:
the sight of a sunset orange yellow sun mainly solid orange background with solid black silhouettes
very small silhouettes. The palm trees and a few people, a lion, an elephant, elephants running
i watched their actions from afar, very far. Like football fields away. The movements of the lion and elephants and leaves lifting carelessly from the wind could be represented by the size of 3 - 4 squared computer pixels. (no gradients, no texture, just plain solid colours, like craft paper cutouts.)
when I realized I could zoom in and out on the landscape with my mind.
as i got nearer, the silhouettes did not get bigger, they simply disappeared, replaced with
more silhouettes formed of a different scene but bigger proportions of people and trees (~40-80 pixels).
i liked the small silhouettes so I withdrew my distance.
and looked onto the small figures against the warm orange background.
coming in from the top-left of my mind what appeared to be an image of the cross section of a plant cells' vascular structure. lots and lots of tiny circles of cells beside cells, a fluorescent green. Very fine circles, 1-3 mm in size.
i also withdrew my distance, and i could see the cells shrink (zoom out in proportion) and reveal the plant border that held the cells (the boarder was outside of my scope at first). The outlines were tiny but perfectly fine, and crisp green fluorescent lines against a black background.
I admired the tiny circles.
I seldom see such fine sights, I thought back to the usual things I think of.
The usual images were of real life scale, daily house hold items appeared,
holding both sights of the plant cells and household objects, the household objects appeared as a smatter of colours blurry, gros and big. (these items were in gradients, with texture, and in many colours.)
i simply was not interested at looking at such household objects, instead the plant cells with their plain black and fluorescent green lines, had an appeal, a high definition allure.
I did not want to think about the household objects anymore, they were distracting my plant cell sight, they were bringing the plant cells' fluorescent lines into a green blur.
I letted go of holding them side by side.
I looked back at plant cells, but quickly shifted to looking at the orange sunset and black silhouettes.
I could probably watch either of these two for hours.
They seem so entertaining.
I was taken by surprised, I seldom visualize anything else of scenes or microscopic image before I sleep, I usually think of boring house hold items to look at.
---
Skimmed through new version of David's Method, clicked his link to Bate's book. Currently on chapter 3 of reading the Bates method.
Have not done any eye exercises.
Just have taken off glasses yesterday and the day before for a few hours while reading the Bates method, and trying not to strain while reading it. I plan to read that whole thing without glasses.

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Yelaina - 01-09-2015

I don't get it: Sunning, Bright LightsHuh
Putting clues together:

Clue 1 = From David's Method Part 8: Bright Lights
David Wrote:When years ago I practiced gazing at a bright light bulb while sitting closely to it I could feel the intensity of the light, and my eyes tensed up in response. I understood an aspect of the Bates method to mean that I had to direct my eyes to look at one thing at a time, and moving my eyes from point to point to avoid “staring.” I had associated “looking” with a certain feeling of intensive concentration, even though I thought I had understood that I had to relax my eyes

After a while I noticed that when I softened my gaze, or made no effort to keep my eyes firmly pointed at the light bulb or to bring it into focus, it instantly become much easier to continue to look at the bulb, even though i wasn’t “looking” at it in the same way I thought I had to. It felt like I wasn’t looking at the bulb at all, despite the fact that I was sitting quite close to it and it was taking up much of my field of vision, and I noticed details of it. If I got double vision for a moment (as happened many times), it was because my eyes were “let loose” and had to calibrate, and the double vision would go away as I focused on my intention of keeping my eyes comfortable.
- See more at: http://www.iblindness.org/davids-method/bright-light/#sthash.2ZCmDctD.dpuf
Okay so you were not starring at the direct center of the light bulb.
The light bulb is the center, but your eyes moved around it.

Clue 2: Bates
David Wrote:One other thing he mentioned in his book was the “sun treatment”, where he would focus the light of the sun directly onto the sclera of patients for brief instants at a time, moving the light constantly to avoid any risk of injury. He found that people were often so benefited by this that the practice was suggested regularly for the rest of his career.- See more at: http://www.iblindness.org/2381/a-response-to-quackwatchs-fallacies-of-the-bates-system/#sthash.N4NYnOUx.dpuf
Okay, but I don't think opthamologist or optometrist know this yet.
Besides, opthamologists and optometrists should work on their fine motor skills and patience if they all want to become like Bates.

Clue 3: Modern Bates
David Wrote:Modern Bates teachers often teach “sunning,” the practice of closing the eyes, facing towards the sun, and moving the head slowly back and forth to allow the sunlight to shine through the closed eyelids
- See more at: http://www.iblindness.org/2381/a-response-to-quackwatchs-fallacies-of-the-bates-system/#sthash.N4NYnOUx.dpuf
So this means that light falling directly on retina is not necessary.
Just the feeling of something moving on eyeball is enough.

Clue 4: Personal experience at the Opthalmologist.
----- I've been seen by several opthalmologists, and optometrists. When they do the retina check up they use approximately a golf ball sized magnifying glass and a bright light. They use that so that they can look at the retina. There was one opthalmologist that I particularly liked, he was skilled with using that glass, because he tried not to pain me while doing it. He had a system of moving the glass in quarter-circles and semi-circles around my eyes while I looked in the other direction that the glass was on. He waited only when I was ready, then he moved the glass from the edge of my face to the edge of my eye. Moving smoothly in the quarter circle.The eye is suppose to "run away from the glass". Done correctly the heat can be felt on the eye ball but the eye is not straining and shreaking away from the light. Done correctly I can also see the veins of my retina while he looks too; probably the reflection from the glass. What I also remember from this experience is that not straining while doing that, I can feel my eyes relax. I didn't mind the heat momentarily and he can take his time to look, while I looked too. It is very pretty it is a pale orange glare with pale red thin leaf like veins, that is what the back of the eyeball looks like.
-----
Light cast on around the eye ball; but not on retina.

So with clues: 1,2,3,4.
I think I believe in sunning.Smile
Except I believe we don't need a real sun.
Neither do we need a flash light or a light bulb.
The theory should be put a point of your conciousness on the surface of the eyeball and move it around in circles.

So this morning I took the hoola hoop and shrunk it to the size of the eyeball and tried to relax my eyeball by circling it and spinning the hoola hoop within the eye (I am not spinning my eyes, I am spinning an imaginary hoola hoop). It is not about seeing anymore, it is about feeling a point or relaxation on a hoola hoop. And keeping the relaxation feeling moving continually over the eyeball.
{Felt pretty good, I felt like I relaxed my eyeball of tension a little. Tensions still there. Eyesight though did not improve yet. I did it for 1.5 hours this morning}

Question:
If the eye balls are elongated, or distorted, then it is not a sphere.
A coin spinning on a table is a sphere until it starts to loose speed and drops.
If a imaginary spinning coin sits in an eyeball, will the eyeball bring itself back to shape?

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - bloobi - 01-10-2015

Quote:Question:
A coin spinning on a table is a sphere until it starts to loose speed and drops.
If a imaginary spinning coin sits in an eyeball, will the eyeball bring itself back to shape?

It depends. If your eye is like an egg with a shell which cracks before it bends, the answer is probably no. But if your eye is like a tomato the answer might be yes. The truth is somewhere in between. The sclera is not as hard as the egg shell, but doesn't deform as easily as a tomato.

Part of the current shape of your eyes is defined by the space it has in its orbit, and the tension of the muscles around the eyeball. If that imaginary coin rotating in your eye performs an imaginary massage of your extraocular muscles it may cause relaxation of those muscles, so who knows? Just give it a try and report back here.

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - David - 01-23-2015

Yelaina,

I'm not sure how to answer your questions, but I do like the fact that you're thinking outside the box and exploring how your thoughts influence your eyes and vision. A subtle mental change can make a huge difference.

In general people way underestimate the power of their thoughts and beliefs on the condition of their body. But there has to be congruency in beliefs and intentions, or the right hand undoes what the left hand starts.

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Yelaina - 01-23-2015

David Wrote:I'm not sure how to answer your questions,
Appreciate your reply here. hehe, David is stumped. It's okay, I like asking questions that I can't answer myself either. It makes me go research and think more.
David Wrote:but I do like the fact that you're thinking outside the box and exploring how your thoughts influence your eyes and vision.
thankyou
David Wrote:A subtle mental change can make a huge difference.
yes, new ideas are like raw sunshine, they brighten up the day.

David Wrote:In general people way underestimate the power of their thoughts and beliefs on the condition of their body.
agrees,
maybe,
are you thinking endorphins?

Opens up a fortune cookie from David and reads:
David Wrote:But there has to be congruency in beliefs and intentions, or the right hand undoes what the left hand starts.
ah, it is one of those cryptic pieces of paper that makes no sense;
places the paper in a tips jar.

(01-10-2015, 04:24 AM)bloobi Wrote:
Yelaina Wrote:Question:

It depends. If your eye is like an egg with a shell which cracks before it bends, the answer is probably no. But if your eye is like a tomato the answer might be yes. The truth is somewhere in between. The sclera is not as hard as the egg shell, but doesn't deform as easily as a tomato.
Thanks for replying.
A tomato peel would be too thin.
The eye is probably more like an egg without the hard calcium egg shell.
It is held by a membrane, but a thick membrane called the sclera.
And the sclera is probably closer to an orange, with a soft calcium shell like an orange peel.
I imagine the eye is a cross between an egg's interior and an orange's exterior.

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Bifocal - 01-24-2015

Wow this thread had taken a path that is far from Bates.
Some people have been suspended ,or posts removed for things more logical than this.

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - bloobi - 01-25-2015

It may be closer to Bates than you think. Part of Bates' method is imagination. You imagine that you see a sharp letter on the Snellen chart in order to see it sharp. This is just one step further where you imagine that a round object is spinning in your eye to transform the eyeball to a round shape.

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - arocarty - 01-25-2015

[Wow this thread had taken a path that is far from Bates.
Some people have been suspended ,or posts removed for things more logical than this.]

(01-25-2015, 02:33 AM)bloobi Wrote: It may be closer to Bates than you think. Part of Bates' method is imagination. You imagine that you see a sharp letter on the Snellen chart in order to see it sharp. This is just one step further where you imagine that a round object is spinning in your eye to transform the eyeball to a round shape.

Bates didn't follow either the laws of optics or the laws of logic, he was very clear about that. He broke them all. One of the reasons his contemporaries couldn't, or didn't want to understand him. In spite of all our high-tech wizardry, the lack of understanding between the mind and vision still seems just as pervasive today as it was when he broke from conventionally held beliefs.

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Yelaina - 01-27-2015

Okay, I have asked a question there --> http://www.iblindness.org/forum/old-glasses-after-improvement
I am posting the reason of why I asked here because:

1. I don't want to influence the answers on that page. And if you read this and want to reply there, please reply honestly. I want honest replies of what people see with old glasses, or what never-worn-glasses peoples see, and the diopters, because I think the difference between old and new diopters may matter.

2. I started asking the question in reaction to what I did on Jan 16, 2015.

The Reason why I Asked:
I kept my glasses off for over 6-8 hours on Jan 16 (clipped to the back of my shirt so that I know I can have it if I really need it, and to remind me to sit in a better position if I slouched.) And I did the swinging as described in the video link in Part 6: of David's Method.
http://www.iblindness.org/davids-method/movement-central-vision/
(the video was helpful, I think it was the first time I got a sense of how to do it properly. ~ or at least I think i am trying it properly now.)

After ~45 min of doing The Long Swing, 15 minutes later,
I putted my glasses back on and walked through a supermarket.
I looked past 2 aisle length, and I can see very sharp colours of the dairy containers.
It kind of felt too strong. It also felt a little tiring looking through it, i can feel the weight of the glasses, and trying to wrestle tension on my face, after a day of no glasses.

But what puzzled me is that, I know from people who had never had glasses and when they looked though mines, they said it was blurry.
If the eyes are improving shouldn't we eventually see blurry through the old glasses?

Or have we adapted to knowing how to use strong glasses and the moment we put it on we can quickly accomodate back to our old bad habits? While those people who have never worn glasses, simply do not know how to look through a pair of glasses, especially those of stronger strength glasses?

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Yelaina - 01-28-2015

Sculpting 2 Lindt Chocolates, (Hacking The Swing and The Sunning simultaneously!)
Spinning Coin + Long Swing + Hoola hoop ----becomes----> Chocolate Eyeballs + Icing sugar with Circular Clock + Hoola hoop with Circular Clock

Jan 28, 2015
9:45-10:30, I spent 45 min doing the swing (except without moving my head or body much). Feels relaxing afterwards, glasses on and I can still do the swing within the glasses cage, but everything is so crisp and sharp, and it is annoying to swing past the perimeter of my glasses.
---

Method:
1. I imagined 2 chocolate balls. 1 in each eye. The regular Lindt lindor chocolates seems about the right size and shape to imagine.
(because spinning coin is too fragile to imagine, kinda hard to keep it spinning.)
(Note: I did not use Hershey Kisses, or Cadbury Easter Eggs, because those would be the wrong shape for the eyes.)

2. If you had to decorate this chocolate further with icing sugar (colour of your choice), you would have to move your imagination over the surface area of the chocolate.

3. To keep the surface area evenly covered, I choose a clock as a blueprint over the chocolate.

4. Moving the icing sugar by using the Bates Swing method over the chocolate eyes, I went from 1'oclock to the center point where the hands of the clock attach and back to 1'oclock position, then repeated with 2'oclock to the center...etc all the way to 12'oclock position.
As I icing sugar the chocolate (swing) the view appears like the long swing.
I like the video there that teaches the long swing: http://www.iblindness.org/davids-method/movement-central-vision/

[I am not moving my eyeballs much, I am moving my awareness over my eyeballs with the icing sugar, while moving my awareness of my periphery view simultaneously, I guess this means two points of awareness: on they eyeball, and overall view.]

[I think part of the purpose of the swing method (on top of seeing details in the blur) is to train the eyes to keep the periphery surface area the same size and moving simultaneously as the eyeballs move. Often when I strain, my periphery shrinks as my awareness and attention moves to one point, like to a word on the screen, and I forget about seeing the periphery of my desk and room. ]

5. When sculpting the imaginary icing sugar over the chocolate, it is important to move at a comfortable pace and slow down when the icing sugar cuts into the chocolate and into the gooey center. That means when I am doing it wrong the Lindt chocolate is gone, and it might be a Hershey kiss; and hersheys are not good, because my goal is to have a regular spherical eyeballs, not some elongated distorted eyeballs.
[Also, I am decorating two chocolates in synchrony simultaneously, left and right eye.(don't ask me if the chocolates looked pretty, my art skills are scribbles currently; ocassionally spilling the caramel centers.Dodgy]

6. Hoola hoop and clock positioning, with the chocolate icing sugar means that the swing can be practiced at close distance and long distance.
Imagine a hoola hoop from the nose outward, stop at each distance of the hoolahoop spaced by the clock numbers, and do a chocolate sculpting/ icingsugar-over-chocolate at each point.

I found it interesting that sometime my mind wanted to stray and look at the text on the computer, but I had to remind myself to focus on the exercise, and to keep the cart behind the horses.

I also found it interesting that when I use my glasses my eye dodges around in it not smoothly, not chocolate.

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - arocarty - 01-29-2015

(01-27-2015, 12:58 PM)Yelaina Wrote: Okay, I have asked a question there --> http://www.iblindness.org/forum/old-glasses-after-improvement

1. I don't want to influence the answers on that page. And if you read this and want to reply there, please reply honestly. I want honest replies of what people see with old glasses, or what never-worn-glasses peoples see, and the diopters, because I think the difference between old and new diopters may matter.

The Reason why I Asked:
I kept my glasses off for over 6-8 hours on Jan 16 (clipped to the back of my shirt so that I know I can have it if I really need it, and to remind me to sit in a better position if I slouched.) And I did the swinging as described in the video link in Part 6: of David's Method.
(the video was helpful, I think it was the first time I got a sense of how to do it properly. ~ or at least I think i am trying it properly now.)

I looked past 2 aisle length, and I can see very sharp colours of the dairy containers.
It kind of felt too strong. It also felt a little tiring looking through it, i can feel the weight of the glasses, and trying to wrestle tension on my face, after a day of no glasses.

But what puzzled me is that, I know from people who had never had glasses and when they looked though mines, they said it was blurry.
If the eyes are improving shouldn't we eventually see blurry through the old glasses?

Or have we adapted to knowing how to use strong glasses and the moment we put it on we can quickly accomodate back to our old bad habits? While those people who have never worn glasses, simply do not know how to look through a pair of glasses, especially those of stronger strength glasses?

Yelaina - interesting question. Remember this, though - you probably don't want to remember. It reminds me of the Bates mantra - forget your failures, remember your successes. The mind is a powerful thing, and memory is so closely allied with vision. Myopes have to condition themselves to ignore the uncomfortableness, pain, irritation of straining to see through corrective lenses. 'Get used to them' as it is often said. Call it a neurological imprint if you will, people condition themselves to the strain of wearing lenses for years, decades. People who have never worn lenses have never conditioned themselves to ignore it all, and as a result all their sensitivities are, well, super sensitive. Whenever Bates tested this out on emmetropes - to induce straining, it often produced unbearable pain. He found that the highest myopes were usually the least sensitive. They had to overcome and condition themselves to greater and greater amounts of strain to see through stronger and stronger lenses. It was a good sign when (normal) sensitivities started to return. Do they ever fully return, I don't know. I do know that the most insignificant things can irritate me, which when I wore lenses I didn't even consider. I believe you become much more in touch with your eyes, and how they are feeling the more you restore good seeing habits. But you may never completely severe those neurological connections which are made in the process of desensitizing yourself to strain. Keep overwriting them with good ones (or keep refreshing the existing good ones), and the destructive ones become so weak so as to become insignificant.

Forget your failures and remember your successes. I believe it's important to keep moving forward, always forward, and don't look back, if you desire to kick this thing entirely.

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - clarknight - 01-29-2015

I know a guy that has clear 20/20 sight after about a year practicing the Bates Method.

He cant figure out why he can see clear through his old prescription glasses. He puts them on sometimes to test this. (I told him to stop doing that, it can reverse his progress.)

The sight through the glasses should be blurry as would be for a person that never wore glasses and has 20/20 or better vision.

He thinks it may be that the old strain or subconscious memory of how to quickly tense up the visual system in order to see through prescriptions is still in his brain.

He's free of glasses. I do see a tension in his face, eyes sometimes; When he 'trys' hard to practice, see. Something is still stuck in his mind making him tighten up at times. Occasionally the sight lowers but never stays low; it fluctuates back to clear, as Bates taught; vision is changing Rythrum. Let it be free.

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Bifocal - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 04:07 AM)arocarty Wrote:
(01-27-2015, 12:58 PM)Yelaina Wrote: Okay, I have asked a question there --> http://www.iblindness.org/forum/old-glasses-after-improvement

The Reason why I Asked:

Yelaina - interesting question. Remember this, though - you probably don't want to remember. It reminds me of the Bates mantra - forget your failures, remember your successes. The mind is a powerful thing, and memory is so closely allied with vision. Myopes have to condition themselves to ignore the uncomfortableness, pain, irritation of straining to see through corrective lenses. 'Get used to them' as it is often said. Call it a neurological imprint if you will, people condition themselves to the strain of wearing lenses for years, decades. People who have never worn lenses have never conditioned themselves to ignore it all, and as a result all their sensitivities are, well, super sensitive. Whenever Bates tested this out on emmetropes - to induce straining, it often produced unbearable pain. He found that the highest myopes were usually the least sensitive. They had to overcome and condition themselves to greater and greater amounts of strain to see through stronger and stronger lenses. It was a good sign when (normal) sensitivities started to return. Do they ever fully return, I don't know. I do know that the most insignificant things can irritate me, which when I wore lenses I didn't even consider. I believe you become much more in touch with your eyes, and how they are feeling the more you restore good seeing habits. But you may never completely severe those neurological connections which are made in the process of desensitizing yourself to strain. Keep overwriting them with good ones (or keep refreshing the existing good ones), and the destructive ones become so weak so as to become insignificant.

Forget your failures and remember your successes. I believe it's important to keep moving forward, always forward, and don't look back, if you desire to kick this thing entirely.

If you can do without your glasses for six to eight hours,you should not wear them at all.
Each time you put them on,you are setting back any progress you have made.
What is your current prescription?

RE: Yelaina's Diary - Newbie - Aureus - 01-30-2015

Yelaina, vision improvement is usually more like a wave rather than a straight line. What matters is that wave heads your goal which is of course - better or even normal eyesight.

In my instance it goes that way and what is a bit frustrating is that very often my vision gets more blurred unexpectedly soon after some improvement. Sometimes I know what I've done wrong but sometimes I just have no clue whatsoever. However, I'm persistent and that slowly pays off. More slowly than I'd like but that's the life.

You need to be persistent too. Keep it up. Cool

I must have said something smart since soon after posting this I turned into a 'Member' (three stars)...or it's down to the number of posts. Blush