MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate (/showthread.php?tid=2934)

A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate - AlkalineWater7 - 11-15-2014

I've recently stumbled upon Gabor mate. He's a hungarian born physician that endorses the concept of a more holistic bio-psycho-socio-physio-spiritual model of health and the healing process. i just thought i might put this out there since i think this goes hand in hand with some concepts about emotional struggles and disease.

Well, here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Earq-eR3MQI

RE: A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate - RSW2892 - 11-15-2014

Thank you for sharing such a nice video. Smile

RE: A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate - Nancy - 11-16-2014

Yes. Same principles underlying energy medicine or specific techniques like acupuncutre or EFT or EMDR or reiki or .... Emotions unprocessed get stuck in the body and make you sick. Period. Whether they get stuck in your vision or your digestive system or your heart or lungs or wherever could be the subject of endless study and targeted medicine to treat the symptom, but the bottom line is it's all about the emotion. Acknowledge that (don't suppress it with a drug or an addiction), process it, and let it go so you can move on. Otherwise it will eventually cause disease.

RE: A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate - AlkalineWater7 - 11-16-2014

(11-15-2014, 10:09 PM)RSW2892 Wrote: Thank you for sharing such a nice video. Smile

Yeah, it's good stuff. He also has a book called: "When the body says no".
I'm sharing this stuff with as many people as i can.

(11-16-2014, 07:37 AM)Nancy Wrote: Yes. Same principles underlying energy medicine or specific techniques like acupuncutre or EFT or EMDR or reiki or .... Emotions unprocessed get stuck in the body and make you sick. Period. Whether they get stuck in your vision or your digestive system or your heart or lungs or wherever could be the subject of endless study and targeted medicine to treat the symptom, but the bottom line is it's all about the emotion. Acknowledge that (don't suppress it with a drug or an addiction), process it, and let it go so you can move on. Otherwise it will eventually cause disease.

I've been doing some body awareness techniques and getting pretty good results. I have one question though. If you're angry at something, and can't go off in a violent rampage do you just quietly acknowledge that you're angry and really feel the emotion itself? I ask this because there have been times where i've gotten angry, did some martial arts kicks and punches outside, and felt better afterwards.

(11-16-2014, 07:37 AM)Nancy Wrote: Yes. Same principles underlying energy medicine or specific techniques like acupuncutre or EFT or EMDR or reiki or .... Emotions unprocessed get stuck in the body and make you sick. Period. Whether they get stuck in your vision or your digestive system or your heart or lungs or wherever could be the subject of endless study and targeted medicine to treat the symptom, but the bottom line is it's all about the emotion. Acknowledge that (don't suppress it with a drug or an addiction), process it, and let it go so you can move on. Otherwise it will eventually cause disease.

Oh, and one more thing. Gabor Mate points out the denial of mainstream scientists. He says that many mainstream scientists dismiss the emotional connection between disease because they themselves have emotional blockages and problems that they'd rather not deal with. Perhaps this describes the so-called rational, and unemotional demeanor of many scientists. They've been bullied or had some semi-traumatic experience that are so painful that they suppress it, and put on a "Rational" and "Logical" face to everyone else. It's a coping mechanism. I'm not trying to point fingers. We all have some experiences that we'd rather not talk about, but we have to deal with them. If we don't, there wouldn't be any resolution or relief. That's the difference between certain people. Some people deal with it, acknowledge it, and move on while others suppress it, and hide it. This reminds me of my mother. She's a foreigner from Japan, and has no friends here. I tried to get her to become friends with my Japanese teacher, but she wouldn't do it. She complains that she has no friends, but when there's an opportunity to make friends with a person of the same race, she automatically denies it. She also wanted to learn English better. I tried to convince her to sign up for ESL at a nearby church. But no, she denies that once again. Looking within and changing one's habits can be really scary, and uncomfortable, and i get that. That's the reason i don't use good vision habits all the time. Why are some humans scared of change even though change may bring positive benefits?

RE: A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate - Nancy - 11-16-2014

(11-16-2014, 07:49 AM)AlkalineWater7 Wrote:
(11-15-2014, 10:09 PM)RSW2892 Wrote: Thank you for sharing such a nice video. Smile

I've been doing some body awareness techniques and getting pretty good results. I have one question though. If you're angry at something, and can't go off in a violent rampage do you just quietly acknowledge that you're angry and really feel the emotion itself? I ask this because there have been times where i've gotten angry, did some martial arts kicks and punches outside, and felt better afterwards.

Oh, and one more thing. Gabor Mate points out the denial of mainstream scientists. He says that many mainstream scientists dismiss the emotional connection between disease because they themselves have emotional blockages and problems that they'd rather not deal with. Perhaps this describes the so-called rational, and unemotional demeanor of many scientists. They've been bullied or had some semi-traumatic experience that are so painful that they suppress it, and put on a "Rational" and "Logical" face to everyone else. It's a coping mechanism. I'm not trying to point fingers. We all have some experiences that we'd rather not talk about, but we have to deal with them. If we don't, there wouldn't be any resolution or relief. That's the difference between certain people. Some people deal with it, acknowledge it, and move on while others suppress it, and hide it. This reminds me of my mother. She's a foreigner from Japan, and has no friends here. I tried to get her to become friends with my Japanese teacher, but she wouldn't do it. She complains that she has no friends, but when there's an opportunity to make friends with a person of the same race, she automatically denies it. She also wanted to learn English better. I tried to convince her to sign up for ESL at a nearby church. But no, she denies that once again. Looking within and changing one's habits can be really scary, and uncomfortable, and i get that. That's the reason i don't use good vision habits all the time. Why are some humans scared of change even though change may bring positive benefits?

You'll change when it's more painful to stay the same than it is to face the fear of The New. You can't force people to change, only invite them and be a good example. See the article midway here about secondary gain.

On releasing anger, yes, the martial arts kicks are great. I do weight training and that focused movement helps move the emotion through the body too. Other ideas are journaling (the letter you'd like to send but don't), or even punching a pillow which always seemed artificial to me but works for some people. The big thing is as you said to acknowledge the emotion, not deny it. In a newsletter I just published, I talk about energy moving through the body from EFT, which applies to many other modalities too including exercise. See the first article here next to the yawning cartoon.

RE: A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate - AlkalineWater7 - 11-17-2014

(11-16-2014, 12:20 PM)Nancy Wrote:

You'll change when it's more painful to stay the same than it is to face the fear of The New. You can't force people to change, only invite them and be a good example. See the article midway here about secondary gain.

On releasing anger, yes, the martial arts kicks are great. I do weight training and that focused movement helps move the emotion through the body too. Other ideas are journaling (the letter you'd like to send but don't), or even punching a pillow which always seemed artificial to me but works for some people. The big thing is as you said to acknowledge the emotion, not deny it. In a newsletter I just published, I talk about energy moving through the body from EFT, which applies to many other modalities too including exercise. See the first article here next to the yawning cartoon.

I have another question. Are you really an introvert, or are you just suppressing your inner extrovert? For me, i realized that my true nature is actually extroverted or at least hyperactive. I called myself an introvert before because i was suppressing my energy. Now, i'm letting it all out. Sometimes people tell me to calm down because i have way too much energy. I also hurry everywhere i go especially at school. Being hyper makes me feel alive, and alert. It's much more better for myself than being a sluggish slump that won't do anything. Although i've discovered this about myself, i do need some quiet contemplation time. It feels really good.

RE: A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate - Nancy - 11-18-2014

(11-17-2014, 06:06 PM)AlkalineWater7 Wrote:

I have another question. Are you really an introvert, or are you just suppressing your inner extrovert? For me, i realized that my true nature is actually extroverted or at least hyperactive. I called myself an introvert before because i was suppressing my energy. Now, i'm letting it all out. Sometimes people tell me to calm down because i have way too much energy. I also hurry everywhere i go especially at school. Being hyper makes me feel alive, and alert. It's much more better for myself than being a sluggish slump that won't do anything. Although i've discovered this about myself, i do need some quiet contemplation time. It feels really good.

I'm really an introvert, preferring to spend most of my time alone, uncomfortable in groups. I am also quite active with a speedy metabolism, and can get hyper if I don't focus on being grounded and present. Yes, I tend to rush, and the entire vision improvement journey for me has been about learning to slow down and enjoy Life and receive.

RE: A must watch interview video with Gabor Mate - AlkalineWater7 - 11-21-2014

(11-18-2014, 08:58 AM)Nancy Wrote:
(11-17-2014, 06:06 PM)AlkalineWater7 Wrote:

I'm really an introvert, preferring to spend most of my time alone, uncomfortable in groups. I am also quite active with a speedy metabolism, and can get hyper if I don't focus on being grounded and present. Yes, I tend to rush, and the entire vision improvement journey for me has been about learning to slow down and enjoy Life and receive.

I noticed something very interesting lately. Anxiety to me is a lack of central fixation of my mind. when i'm anxious, my vision is poorer, and i'm always tense. However, when i'm relaxed, my body feels limp, eyesight is better, and my mental focus is very acute with peripheral awareness. When i'm relaxed, my mental focus can focus on very small aspects of what i'm doing. For example, a teacher may be looking over my shoulder doing a worksheet, and i wont get nervous. I wont get nervous because i concentrate on a small aspect of what i'm working on, and have a vague peripheral awareness about everything else. However if i was in an anxious state, i would be worried about the teacher looking at me while i'm doing my work. I'm also working on being extremely aware of everything that i do.