MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Vision Failing me at Times - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Vision Failing me at Times - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: David's method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Vision Failing me at Times (/showthread.php?tid=3069)

Vision Failing me at Times - Luis210 - 05-18-2015

Well, I am back. I have noticed less problems seeing the whiteboard in class, but my vision fails me in dim/low-light environments. I have trouble seeing freeway signs at night, and reading eye charts in dim-light. I can do fairly well in the vision test machine tests, but I fail to recognize any letters at all on a chart hanging on the wall. I had a bad experience at the DMV because I nearly failed the vision exam, I was asked to read "Line 1" on the chart, and as I blankly stared at the chart, the young woman there impatiently repeated "can you read line 1 please?" I told the young woman attending me that I couldn't read any of the lines on the chart, and she transferred me over to the Optec 1000, and I did fine on it besides it being a bit foggy. I didn't really see anything wrong with my vision up until I was asked to read "Line 1" and all of a sudden everything became cloudy, and foggy, and I could only read the big letter on the chart. After that, the "fog" went away, and the letters "re-appeared" on all the charts there. Is there an explanation to why my vision constantly fails me when I mostly need it, but it is there when I don't need it at all.

RE: Vision Failing me at Times - arocarty - 05-18-2015

(05-18-2015, 12:35 AM)Luis210 Wrote: Well, I am back. I have noticed less problems seeing the whiteboard in class, but my vision fails me in dim/low-light environments. I have trouble seeing freeway signs at night, and reading eye charts in dim-light. I can do fairly well in the vision test machine tests, but I fail to recognize any letters at all on a chart hanging on the wall. I had a bad experience at the DMV because I nearly failed the vision exam, I was asked to read "Line 1" on the chart, and as I blankly stared at the chart, the young woman there impatiently repeated "can you read line 1 please?" I told the young woman attending me that I couldn't read any of the lines on the chart, and she transferred me over to the Optec 1000, and I did fine on it besides it being a bit foggy. I didn't really see anything wrong with my vision up until I was asked to read "Line 1" and all of a sudden everything became cloudy, and foggy, and I could only read the big letter on the chart. After that, the "fog" went away, and the letters "re-appeared" on all the charts there. Is there an explanation to why my vision constantly fails me when I mostly need it, but it is there when I don't need it at all.

Nervousness, tension, concentration, making an unconscious/conscious effort are the common culprits of imperfect vision. Nobody can say exactlly what you're doing in these moments, nobody knows you well enough to make that kind of determination. But you give one little clue when you say "as I blankly stared at the chart." Staring is an arch enemy of normal sight, and if that's your response when you are under more challenging conditions, and under pressure to perform, then there's a lot to be learned about using the eyes correctly and what not to do. A lot of it starts with developing keen self-awareness. What do you do differently when under pressure to perform? What do you sense about yourself when you see well? Once bad habits begin to get set in, they can throw you into viscous cycle, become almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. You begin to think negatively about those conditions, and that itself becomes counter-productive. When you don't need to perform, you are probably in the most relaxed mental state, and are therefore not trying to do anything, because there is nothing to 'do' to see normally, except maintain good habits, the same that all people with normal sight constantly maintain, without even thinking about it.