MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
PD distance - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
PD distance - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: PD distance (/showthread.php?tid=3073)

PD distance - JDL - 05-27-2015

Hi, my prescription is
L: -4, R: -3.5 with a little bit of astigmatism in each eye. I want to order glasses online, like -2.75 each. (Without astigmatism)
I got my PD distance measured at an eyeglass shop at L:33 R: 32
I was wondering if the difference in pd is because of strain and/or other eye problems like astigmatism which caused one or both eyes to be at a different distance from the center. In which case I should maybe order the average of their total (32.5) or something else. Or if anyone has other opinions/information on the topic I'd be eager to hear them.
(Also I haven't been wearing glasses for around 8 months now, when I started this program both eyes were at -5 with more astigmatism, but I'll be starting university again soon, so I may need glasses for them ): I haven't really been measuring eye chart acuity but last time doctor said it was 20/150, when I started I'd assume it was probably like 20/400)
-Josef

RE: PD distance - Nancy - 05-27-2015

(05-27-2015, 09:30 AM)JDL Wrote: Hi, my prescription is
L: -4, R: -3.5 with a little bit of astigmatism in each eye. I want to order glasses online, like -2.75 each. (Without astigmatism)
I was wondering if the difference in pd is because of strain and/or other eye problems like astigmatism which caused one or both eyes to be at a different distance from the center. In which case I should maybe order the average of their total (32.5) or something else. Or if anyone has other opinions/information on the topic I'd be eager to hear them.
(Also I haven't been wearing glasses for around 8 months now, when I started this program both eyes were at -5 with more astigmatism, but I'll be starting university again soon, so I may need glasses for them ): I haven't really been measuring eye chart acuity but last time doctor said it was 20/150, when I started I'd assume it was probably like 20/400)
-Josef
JDL, hi. The PD distance Zenni wants is the distance between the center of the 2 pupils when looking straight ahead, so would be the sum of your 2 numbers, or 65. Mine was in the mid or upper 50s -- I'm pretty slim with a small frame.

I wouldn't worry about one eye's pupil being a millimeter closer to the center. You may just be naturally looking inward a bit. It's good to be aware of, and it may change as you continue your vision improvement work. It sounds like you're making great progress, so keep it up!

RE: PD distance - sleepmaster - 05-28-2015

(05-27-2015, 09:30 AM)JDL Wrote: Hi, my prescription is
-Josef

I would get your individual PDs measured when looking stragiht ahead with your pupils centered.

In case diistances of your eyeballs to your nosebridge is not symmetrical

I don't think astigmatism is one pupil angled more inward. Rather I think it's curvature of the surface of the eyeball itself that is uneven. Even if it's true that too much unward/across the body usage of the eyeball can cause that imbalance of curvature.

My PDs are imbalanced with one eye a millimeter longer to my nosebridge than my other eye. I ordered a couple cheap glasses with varying PD differences of 1, 1.5, 2 mm and tested them out to see which one felt best.