MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
A few questions - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
A few questions - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: A few questions (/showthread.php?tid=3088)

A few questions - Rose - 07-22-2015

I have been doing Bates/David's method for about a month and haven't even put my glasses on for a couple of weeks. My last perscription was -4.5 and -4.25. I have noticed that I am getting a more pronounced "worry line" between my eyes. I am sure this must be due to unconsciously narrowing my eyes to see better.

I do notice feelings of strain and fatigue around my eyes, when sitting at the computer reading books, or walking around the shopping senter. What do people do when they are shopping to reduce eye fatigue/strain?

I don't want to make my vision worse.

Does it take longer for those of us with worse perscriptions because it is harder to find details on which to focus on?

Since I can already see a tiny bit better does that mean I have managed to relax my mind a tiny bit and by the time I can see well that I will have acheived a very relaxed state of mind?

RE: A few questions - David - 07-30-2015

Welcome, and sorry none of us responded for a week!

Shopping can be very stimulating visually, with all the stores and products competing for your attention. Bates mentioned how tiring it can be on the eyes because it's so stimulating with all the unfamiliar, flashy stuff. The crowds of people mixed into the equation make it harder if you have myopia, because while you're trying to simply learn how to see things you also have to not bump into people, making it perhaps more than you can handle right now. I recommend people practice as often as possible in peaceful surroundings and while sitting, or sometimes walking leisurely on a long path without traffic.

A deeper amount of blur can certainly make it more frustrating and harder to stay engaged, but you can still use the same method of focusing your attention on mental images.

And speaking of which, as far as using visualization to improve vision, people get the idea backwards, thinking that they have to get an image in their mind and then kind of force that image on what they see to force it to fit. And that causes more discomfort, because it isn't how vision works. Everything you think you "see" around you is not actually there as you see it but is just one big image in your head, constructed in a way as to best give you a sense of the relative position of all the objects. So there is nothing to project from your mind to what you "see", because it's all in your head. What your eyes do is feed the image in your head. So what this means practically speaking is it's most natural to approach seeing with the idea that it's all about the quality of your mental images and you're only using the data from your eyes to feed the images in your head.

Now you can keep changing your mental image depending on what you're looking at (it wouldn't make sense to have a mental image of a lamp if you're looking at a bicycle, for example), and that makes sense, but you might find it easier to visualize a small, simple object like a white dot, and imagine that every speck of white that you see from the blurry objects around you is feeding your image of the white dot, making it better.

The better your mental image becomes with your eyes open, the smoother your visual system operates, and the better your eyes will focus and give you better information, which improves the operation more.