MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Stereo vs Compound Microscope - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Stereo vs Compound Microscope - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Stereo vs Compound Microscope (/showthread.php?tid=3196)

Stereo vs Compound Microscope - Yelaina - 02-27-2016

For anyone that have been in biology labs, there are at least two types of microscopes.
Stereo Microscope for 3D specimens.
& Compound Microscopes.

Do normal eyes operate like a stereo microscope?

For me I have very strong glasses.
I recall using the stereo microscope in class to see plant parts and insects.
Since there were two eye pieces for the stereo microscope I remember shifting the eye piece and the focus knob to make the specimen look more clear and 3D.

Yesterday before I went to sleep I looked at my blankets and pillows without my glasses, they were very close to my eyes about >10 cm in distance, it felt a bit like looking through a stereo microscope where I brought the furry fibers into a 3D view. With my glasses on, at the same distance I did not feel such an interesting/cool effect.

Metaphorically speaking would it work to say: glasses as to compound microscopes, as bare eyes as to stereo microscope?

RE: Stereo vs Compound Microscope - MartinKleiner - 02-28-2016

Interesting you ask this because this seems to be huge. How much can you see in 3D?

Personally I realised just lately that I don't see clear if I don't see in 3D. How should our brain see clear if it can't measure the distance to the object? I am not really sure how it works yet but what I found is that in order to see clear you need to be able to see with the centre of your vision and need to realise the sorrounding objects with your periphery. What I though of first was that this only counted for objects in the two dimensional flat space I am looking at but this isn't true. It also is true for depth.

You are seeing an object clear and the objects before and behind the object as well the objects above and under the object as well as left and right to it are in the periphery so we basically see clear in a sphere.