MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
What an amazing forum!! - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
What an amazing forum!! - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: New Members - Introduce Yourself (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: What an amazing forum!! (/showthread.php?tid=3225)

What an amazing forum!! - BrendaPeter - 06-07-2016

I've been looking at this forum for a couple of days & am thrilled that so many of you are willing to take the time to help others improve their vision.

I started looking into the Bates Method about 3 weeks ago & have stopped wearing my glasses for most of the day.  I have a high prescription:  -7.75 in one eye & -7.50 in the other plus with astigmatism in both.  I have been wearing glasses since I was 8 years old & am now 51.  Also 4 out of 6 of my children need glasses so I'm hoping to inspire them as well and share the new habits I am learning.

The good news is that I have healed some other health issues on my own mostly through alignment (posture) & breathing which fits in nicely with the Bates Method.  I also go on walks daily even in the winter so that's another plus.  I've known for several years that improving my vision was possible and now I'm at a place where I can do more reading & focus a bit more of what habits I need to change.  No convincing needed  Big Grin!

I've read several books so far including Huxley & Quackenbush.  I've enjoyed them all but frankly, it is all very overwhelming at this point.  I'm not a super technical person so I really don't understand the science of it all but that may be to my advantage as I tend to go about things very simply & fairly relaxed.  I have 6 kids so I don't really have a choice - ha, ha!  I'm also planning to learn how to "draw on the right side of my brain" (Betty Edwards) this summer so this is really a very enjoyable process for me all the way around.  I'm already thrilled with how much more depth everything has with my glasses off.  It's also a wonderful time of the year here in CT so it's perfect for sunning, looking into the distance and long swings on my daily walks.  

If someone has a moment, please help steer me towards a way of getting started.  Here is what I've done so far:

1 - went to my old prescription glasses for driving & necessity (unfortunately seeing the computer is one right now)
2 - ordered 2 pairs of progressively weaker glasses from zenni optical - =.5 less & -10 less as the ones I'm wearing are way too strong
3 - palming, long swings, looking in distance, sunning
4 - reading, there's the challenge :Sad I like what Huxley has written about reading so I'm trying his method.  So hard when all I want to do is read vision stuff!  Any suggestions?  Should I read with the words being clear or should they be a little blurry?
5 - Started reading David's Method
6 - My eyes hurt, now that I'm paying attention to them.  I visibly feel the strain.  Palming & sunning help so the pain is a good reminder.  I also do a couple of Magic Eyes before I go to bed to relax them.  Any suggestions?
7 - Is wearing a eye mask to bed (to block out light) helpful or neutral?

So sorry to bother you as you are all so good about responding to everyone.  

Thank you very much!

RE: What an amazing forum!! - Nancy - 06-08-2016

(06-07-2016, 11:23 AM)BrendaPeter Wrote: I've been looking at this forum for a couple of days & am thrilled that so many of you are willing to take the time to help others improve their vision.

I started looking into the Bates Method about 3 weeks ago & have stopped wearing my glasses for most of the day.  I have a high prescription:  -7.75 in one eye & -7.50 in the other plus with astigmatism in both.  I have been wearing glasses since I was 8 years old & am now 51.  Also 4 out of 6 of my children need glasses so I'm hoping to inspire them as well and share the new habits I am learning.

The good news is that I have healed some other health issues on my own mostly through alignment (posture) & breathing which fits in nicely with the Bates Method.  I also go on walks daily even in the winter so that's another plus.  I've known for several years that improving my vision was possible and now I'm at a place where I can do more reading & focus a bit more of what habits I need to change.  No convincing needed  Big Grin!

I've read several books so far including Huxley & Quackenbush.  I've enjoyed them all but frankly, it is all very overwhelming at this point.  I'm not a super technical person so I really don't understand the science of it all but that may be to my advantage as I tend to go about things very simply & fairly relaxed.  I have 6 kids so I don't really have a choice - ha, ha!  I'm also planning to learn how to "draw on the right side of my brain" (Betty Edwards) this summer so this is really a very enjoyable process for me all the way around.  I'm already thrilled with how much more depth everything has with my glasses off.  It's also a wonderful time of the year here in CT so it's perfect for sunning, looking into the distance and long swings on my daily walks.  

If someone has a moment, please help steer me towards a way of getting started.  Here is what I've done so far:

1 - went to my old prescription glasses for driving & necessity (unfortunately seeing the computer is one right now)
2 - ordered 2 pairs of progressively weaker glasses from zenni optical - =.5 less & -10 less as the ones I'm wearing are way too strong
4 - reading, there's the challenge :Sad I like what Huxley has written about reading so I'm trying his method.  So hard when all I want to do is read vision stuff!  Any suggestions?  Should I read with the words being clear or should they be a little blurry?
6 - My eyes hurt, now that I'm paying attention to them.  I visibly feel the strain.  Palming & sunning help so the pain is a good reminder.  I also do a couple of Magic Eyes before I go to bed to relax them.  Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Brenda, welcome and congratulations! It sounds to me like you’ve already started. Keep noticing what works for you and what doesn't. Your eyes are perfect feedback mechanisms as to whether what you're doing is good for them or not. "How do my eyes feel right now?" you can ask yourself, then adjust your actions to help them feel better, like maybe take a palming break if you need to. And "How well am I seeing right now?" is another indication, but don't get obsessive about it, just notice.

I like that you get outside so much -- being in Nature is great for the vision. It's recommended to sleep in total dark, so the eye mask might be a good idea if it's comfortable. Again, welcome, and please keep us posted on your progress. We all learn from each other here.

RE: What an amazing forum!! - BrendaPeter - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 07:33 AM)Nancy Wrote:
(06-07-2016, 11:23 AM)BrendaPeter Wrote: I've been looking at this forum for a couple of days & am thrilled that so many of you are willing to take the time to help others improve their vision.

Thank you very much!

Brenda, welcome and congratulations! It sounds to me like you’ve already started. Keep noticing what works for you and what doesn't. Your eyes are perfect feedback mechanisms as to whether what you're doing is good for them or not. "How do my eyes feel right now?" you can ask yourself, then adjust your actions to help them feel better, like maybe take a palming break if you need to. And "How well am I seeing right now?" is another indication, but don't get obsessive about it, just notice.

I like that you get outside so much -- being in Nature is great for the vision. It's recommended to sleep in total dark, so the eye mask might be a good idea if it's comfortable. Again, welcome, and please keep us posted on your progress. We all learn from each other here.

Thank you so much Nancy!  

I was able to relax my eyes while I was reading last night - it was a much more pleasant experience.  I will definitely be following your advice as listening to my eyes - especially now that I know more of what I'm looking for.

RE: What an amazing forum!! - David - 06-09-2016

Welcome, Brenda!

I don't remember what Huxley wrote about reading. There are some things you can do while reading. Look up frequently to keep your sense of 3D vision and focus, keep your eyes soft, don't try to block out everything but the page, to name a few.

The pain from your eyes is from what you're doing all the time to try to use your eyes in what you think is the way they have to be used. Tensing them works a little bit, so it's misleading, and long term it just makes things worse. Anything you "do" to try to see something should be called into question.

Wearing an eye mask doesn't help unless the environment is too bright. If the room is dark then your eyes while they're closed can't tell the difference between sort of dark and very dark

RE: What an amazing forum!! - BrendaPeter - 06-09-2016

(06-09-2016, 09:30 AM)David Wrote: Welcome, Brenda!

I don't remember what Huxley wrote about reading. There are some things you can do while reading. Look up frequently to keep your sense of 3D vision and focus, keep your eyes soft, don't try to block out everything but the page, to name a few.

The pain from your eyes is from what you're doing all the time to try to use your eyes in what you think is the way they have to be used. Tensing them works a little bit, so it's misleading, and long term it just makes things worse. Anything you "do" to try to see something should be called into question.

Wearing an eye mask doesn't help unless the environment is too bright. If the room is dark then your eyes while they're closed can't tell the difference between sort of dark and very dark

Hi David,

Huxley gives a few tips like looking at the white space below each line, making little devices out of black paper with rectangles cut out for the words.  

"Take off your glasses & see" is proving to be my favorite book so far.  I love his positive, more simplified approach so it's a good place for a busy mom to start.

I'm starting to recognize that the pain means things are not right with my eyes & that it's time to take a break, look in the distance, palm, long swing, etc.  The body is truly amazing!!!

All of you do such an amazing job with this forum.  God bless you!!

RE: What an amazing forum!! - Nadia - 06-11-2016

The eye mask does nothing good for you (according to Bates).  It may even increase your strain.

RE: What an amazing forum!! - BrendaPeter - 06-12-2016

(06-11-2016, 07:56 PM)Nadia Wrote: The eye mask does nothing good for you (according to Bates).  It may even increase your strain.

Thank you Nadia.  Great to know!!

RE: What an amazing forum!! - BrendaPeter - 06-14-2016

I have to wear my (a slight reduction) glasses when I drive & try very hard to keep them off the rest of the day. When I do wear them, my eyes burn like crazy. I imagine that is from the strain. While I am driving, what should I be doing to relax my eyes or is it impossible to do much of anything with my glasses on?

RE: What an amazing forum!! - Nancy - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 04:34 PM)BrendaPeter Wrote: I have to wear my (a slight reduction) glasses when I drive & try very hard to keep them off the rest of the day.  When I do wear them, my eyes burn like crazy.  I imagine that is from the strain.  While I am driving, what should I be doing to relax my eyes or is it impossible to do much of anything with my glasses on?

I'm guessing you're staring. Let your gaze move easily, back and forth across the road, out to the distance then back up close. The healthy eye is always moving, gently and without effort. Glasses encourage the stare. I started calling them "eye cages". You can also close your eyes at stop lights for a brief rest, or take your glasses off and look around.

That makes sense. Thank you!

Nancy, do you have a "method" for reading?

RE: What an amazing forum!! - Nancy - 06-15-2016

(06-14-2016, 05:43 PM)BrendaPeter Wrote: Nancy, do you have a "method" for reading?

Brenda, different people do different things wrong, which is why a coach who can pay attention to you and your particular habits is good. Before you even start to read, check your posture, lighting, etc. to make sure you're comfortable. Let your gaze easily travel below the line of print, maybe even using your finger to guide you as a child would who is leaning to read. One teacher (Peter Grunwald) encouraged us to connect with the meaning behind the words, as you would when reading to a child, maybe even reading out loud, rather than just trying to swallow as many words as fast as possible. Take palming breaks if you need them. Those are a few things to play with. And here's a post I wrote a couple of years ago which may help too: http://www.iblindness.org/1669/reading/.

RE: What an amazing forum!! - BrendaPeter - 06-15-2016

(06-15-2016, 09:40 AM)Nancy Wrote:
(06-14-2016, 05:43 PM)BrendaPeter Wrote: Nancy, do you have a "method" for reading?

Brenda, different people do different things wrong, which is why a coach who can pay attention to you and your particular habits is good. Before you even start to read, check your posture, lighting, etc. to make sure you're comfortable. Let your gaze easily travel below the line of print, maybe even using your finger to guide you as a child would who is leaning to read. One teacher (Peter Grunwald) encouraged us to connect with the meaning behind the words, as you would when reading to a child, maybe even reading out loud, rather than just trying to swallow as many words as fast as possible. Take palming breaks if you need them. Those are a few things to play with. And here's a post I wrote a couple of years ago which may help too: http://www.iblindness.org/1669/reading/.

Thank you Nancy!  Everything you've written has been incredibly helpful so far.

RE: What an amazing forum!! - BrendaPeter - 06-16-2016

(06-15-2016, 07:06 PM)BrendaPeter Wrote:
(06-15-2016, 09:40 AM)Nancy Wrote:

I'm in CT, btw.  Any Bates teachers close by?

RE: What an amazing forum!! - Nancy - 06-16-2016

(06-16-2016, 04:46 AM)BrendaPeter Wrote:
(06-15-2016, 07:06 PM)BrendaPeter Wrote:
(06-15-2016, 09:40 AM)Nancy Wrote: Brenda, different people do different things wrong, which is why a coach who can pay attention to you and your particular habits is good. Before you even start to read, check your posture, lighting, etc. to make sure you're comfortable. Let your gaze easily travel below the line of print, maybe even using your finger to guide you as a child would who is leaning to read. One teacher (Peter Grunwald) encouraged us to connect with the meaning behind the words, as you would when reading to a child, maybe even reading out loud, rather than just trying to swallow as many words as fast as possible. Take palming breaks if you need them. Those are a few things to play with. And here's a post I wrote a couple of years ago which may help too: http://www.iblindness.org/1669/reading/.

I'm in CT, btw.  Any Bates teachers close by?

I'm in NY state so also on Eastern Time. I do most of my client work over Skype if that’s an option for you -- one of my most long-standing vision clients is in Switzerland, coming down slowly from a very high prescription. If you're interested in a free Discovery Session with me, to find out if working together seems feasible, you can sign up for that here: http://nancylneff.com/discovery.htm. I'd be delighted to talk with you and explore possibilities to help you improve further. And as you've seen, there's also a lot of free help on the internet, like this forum.