MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
child's intermittent strabismus, hyperopia, anisometropia - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
child's intermittent strabismus, hyperopia, anisometropia - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: New Members - Introduce Yourself (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: child's intermittent strabismus, hyperopia, anisometropia (/showthread.php?tid=3226)

child's intermittent strabismus, hyperopia, anisometropia - marijahristova - 06-10-2016

Hello,
my son is 6 years old. A couple of years ago we noticed that sometimes his left eye was wandering up and away. This prompted us to see a few doctors and do many exercises and read information on it.

We completed a session of vision therapy with some improvements, and currently we are taking him to an osteopathic doctor for cranial manipulations.

Two months ago the optometrist noticed that his left eye is unevenly farsighted than his right eye.
This was confirmed by the pediatric ophthalmologist and she absolutely insisted on him wearing glasses. (Left eye +2.25, cylinder 0.50, 150 axis; Right eye 0) She diagnosed him with mild amblyopia due to the fact that his refraction is uneven.
In addition, our son recently mentioned that his left eye sees duller than his right eye.
The doctor explained this as not having enough visual stimulation. 

I was asking the doctor if under-correction would be possible at one point? But she answered that full prescription is what he requires in order for both of the eyes to work together.

Records show that about 1.5 years ago, during an comprehensive exam at the ophthalmologist both of the eyes were equally farsighted.

I am worried that if we keep him at his full prescription if this would remove his chances for weaning him off the glasses, as well as emmetropization of the left eye. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experience?

Thank you so much!

RE: child's intermittent strabismus, hyperopia, anisometropia - Nancy - 06-10-2016

I am not an eye doctor, and the last thing I want to do is go up against the optomertric profession. This doctor is telling you what he's learned in eye doctor school. I don't agree with the full prescription, and would try to see another eye doctor who may give you a different opinion. Going without his glasses and doing 2-eyed tasks like throwing and catching a ball might help. You could also play with patching the stronger eye to encourage the weaker eye to come on-line more, but I wouldn't overdo it. To me the 2 most important things are 1) no glasses unless absolutely necessary and then under-corrected ones, and 2) an attitude of fun and play and exploration. This is not a problem, it's an interesting challenge. Good luck and please keep us posted.

RE: child's intermittent strabismus, hyperopia, anisometropia - Nadia - 06-11-2016

I would absolutely patch the stronger eye for at least part of the day, every day.  Also, should learn to palm.  I know, this is hard to carry out unless you are a firm believer in the Method and have perfect eyesight yourself or successes personally.

RE: child's intermittent strabismus, hyperopia, anisometropia - Nadia - 06-11-2016

Also, I find it absolutely ridiculous that they diagnose a child with amblyopia when they notice that the state of refraction is uneven.  Yes, children go through emmetropization, that's an accepted (although fairly new) fact even in mainstream opthalmology, so I don't understand why they would explain it away and use amblyopia (which is caused by nerve damage) as an excuse.  The child has variable refraction, just like the rest of the World, except in his case, it is noticable because he never wore glasses and his mind is still flexible.  Video games with the patched eye, especially first person shooter games would make it fun to cure the child.  Good Luck!  Smile

RE: child's intermittent strabismus, hyperopia, anisometropia - David - 06-11-2016

From what I understand, the thing with young kids is you have to make everything a game, and it has to be fun. They won't understand it, so that's out the window, but on the other hand they can change quickly. They don't have much time spent with bad habits.