MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
How to long swing vertical? - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
How to long swing vertical? - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: How to long swing vertical? (/showthread.php?tid=3264)

How to long swing vertical? - egkopin - 10-02-2016

Hi all,
I think this is my last big question before i start posting blogs of my successes, and there are a lot thanks to this forum Smile 

So there is the long swing to relax the eyes, which has worked very well for the horizontal relaxation of my eyes. There is also the nose feather or stick for horizontal central fixation, but wwhat can help more with central fixation of vertical movement? Thanks to my poor habits of reading when I was younger, and in strong glasses when i did not need them at such a close distance,  my habit is to look at the tops of things to see the whole item.  I have been working on it,  especially with non word objects because that is the deepest ingrained habit. I am having good progress and the bizarre upward blur that would happen everytimei blinked i practically gone, and I am always looking for more techniques.  

Is there an equivalent if the long swing for up and down movement?

Thanks to David and this forum,  I can now see my eyes in the bathroom mirror clearly sometimes, and they no longer look like bizarre demon eyes. For that I am eternally grateful. I feel more beautiful now that I am starting to see who I am. And I am giving myself til the end of October to get an eye exam.  I am seriously excited to see their results, and at the same timewon't be judging myself if they are not what I think they should be. I already have all the proof I need  Heart

RE: How to long swing vertical? - Shade - 10-02-2016

Have you tried the infinity sign swing maybe ? I think it's pretty close to the "vertical swing".

RE: How to long swing vertical? - Nancy - 10-02-2016

(10-02-2016, 08:52 AM)egkopin Wrote: Hi all,
I think this is my last big question before i start posting blogs of my successes, and there are a lot thanks to this forum Smile 

So there is the long swing to relax the eyes, which has worked very well for the horizontal relaxation of my eyes. There is also the nose feather or stick for horizontal central fixation, but wwhat can help more with central fixation of vertical movement? Thanks to my poor habits of reading when I was younger, and in strong glasses when i did not need them at such a close distance,  my habit is to look at the tops of things to see the whole item.  I have been working on it,  especially with non word objects because that is the deepest ingrained habit. I am having good progress and the bizarre upward blur that would happen everytimei blinked i practically gone, and I am always looking for more techniques.  

Thanks to David and this forum,  I can now see my eyes in the bathroom mirror clearly sometimes, and they no longer look like bizarre demon eyes. For that I am eternally grateful. I feel more beautiful now that I am starting to see who I am. And I am giving myself til the end of October to get an eye exam.  I am seriously excited to see their results, and at the same timewon't be judging myself if they are not what I think they should be. I already have all the proof I need  Heart

You say "my habit is to look at the tops of things to see the whole item". How about experimenting with looking at the bottoms of things? See how that feels, and if you start breaking up the pattern. One common piece of advice to folks who get eyestrain when reading is to scan along the white space underneath the line of text, instead of looking directly at the letters. This is to see the letters more clearly, because people can unconsciously stare at the print trying to make it out.

If you try this and get any benefit from it (or not!) let us know.

RE: How to long swing vertical? - egkopin - 10-02-2016

(10-02-2016, 10:25 AM)Nancy Wrote: Thanks for the responses. I will check into the infinity swing. Nancy, I have been trying to look at the bottoms but my gaze swings up almost instantly so it feels like a constant battle. What I am trying is starting underneathwhat I want to look at and slowly let my focus wander up and that works to an extent but then I can't stopit from continuing.

I know I end up straining because of this so I am hoping to generally loosen up the muscles more. As we all know, strain is the opposite of what we want Wink it is very hard to look under th words I want to read as you suggest. When I try that it makes my eyes feel wrong aand I can't maintain for more than a millisecond. but only with words. I can do it with other things. Thank you!

(10-02-2016, 08:52 AM)egkopin Wrote: Hi all,

You say "my habit is to look at the tops of things to see the whole item". How about experimenting with looking at the bottoms of things? See how that feels, and if you start breaking up the pattern. One common piece of advice to folks who get eyestrain when reading is to scan along the white space underneath the line of text, instead of looking directly at the letters. This is to see the letters more clearly, because people can unconsciously stare at the print trying to make it out.

If you try this and get any benefit from it (or not!) let us know.

RE: How to long swing vertical? - egkopin - 10-02-2016

Omg I just had an epiphany.  The reason i loose all emotion when thinking and why i am super emotional for no reason watching star trek is my brain hemispheres are not in sync.

I think that is why certain exercises like the infinity swing hurts the inside middle of my head. Does anyone else ever feel discomfort,  not really pain but definitely not comfortable, in the middle of their forehead or brain when changing your vision habits? I get it fairly often and it is always quickly followed by a marked improimprovement.

RE: How to long swing vertical? - Nancy - 10-03-2016

(10-02-2016, 11:25 AM)egkopin Wrote: Omg I just had an epiphany.  The reason i loose all emotion when thinking and why i am super emotional for no reason watching star trek is my brain hemispheres are not in sync.

I think that is why certain exercises like the infinity swing hurts the inside middle of my head. Does anyone else ever feel discomfort,  not really pain but definitely not comfortable, in the middle of their forehead or brain when changing your vision habits? I get it fairly often and it is always quickly followed by a marked improimprovement.

My energy teacher has told us that meditation (which you could just think of as deep relaxation) strengthens the corpus collosum, the thick bundle of nerve fibers which connects the left and right sides of the brain. Long-time meditators can switch back and forth between their logical left brain and intuitive right brain easily because their corpus collosum is so well-developed. So maybe the infinity swing is helping to build the "bridge" between the brain hemispheres for you.