MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Let's make our sight WORSE! - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Let's make our sight WORSE! - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Let's make our sight WORSE! (/showthread.php?tid=355)

Pages: 1 2

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - Daniel - 10-20-2007

Paul Wrote:That's a very good demonstration.  The effects are most noticeable when you move as far back until the letters are on the verge of clarity.

Paul

I would say that, while you are just trying to demonstrate the effect, it would be better to bring the book to a point where the text is as sharp as it can be.  Otherwise, if you do get the blur, you may doubt whether you actually did it by straining or just by moving the book or your head a tad backward. 

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - Daniel - 10-20-2007

I'm trying to figure out how to explain this to someone who has not ever been able to voluntarily increase his or her myopia.  I know that shortly after hearing about vision improvement, I realized that I could intentionally blur my sight more.  I wish I could remember how I figured it out.  When I do it, it feels like I'm pushing away with my eyes whatever I'm looking at. 

One other thing I suggest is to stare at a word up close for a while and see what happens.

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - David - 10-20-2007

Daniel, well the thing in your next to last post made sense to me, about doing it at the distance you see most clearly at. Or even have him try doing it really close up, with very tiny print that he can barely read. Without his glasses. I find that my vision will invariably fluctuate quite a bit in that situation, but maybe that isn't the case with people who are still regularly wearing glasses. If it works, he might notice that the letters keep blurring a little and not be able to say why it happens or feel anything different as it happens, but it likely will get him to really think about it afterwards if you point out that there must be some reason why his vision changes like that.

That reminds me of an explanation I gave in some thread months ago about the subtle difference between straining and creating blur, thereby focusing for a different distance, vs. correctly focusing for the distance regarded, showing that, like Bates said, "in one case the eye does what the mind desires, and in the other it does not".

Found it:
http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.php/topic,405.msg1855.html#msg1855

David

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - Daniel - 10-21-2007

Actually, while I would not suggest deliberately putting the book or paper at the "verge of clarity" (meaning the very farthest point at which it appears clear) for reasons I stated above, holding it too close seems to make it harder, probably because more myopia has to be induced to blur it.  To someone learning how to increase myopia, I would say just bring the book to a point that's clear to you and don't worry about precisely how clear.  Then stare at a word for a while, and see what happens.  It seems like staring at a word makes it easier to increase my myopia.

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - apavel - 10-21-2007

Alright I take it back  Big Grin
Its just that when I tried it, I moved my head back at a distance at which the letters were still clear.  Then I tried to see the whole word and the letters disappeared and blur took over.  Then I focused on one part of the letter and practiced centralization, clarity returned and the letters were perfectly clear.  It's clear, and then it's blurry...the change is very obvious.  I find it hard to diffuse at a close distance because my eyesight is clear at this distance, and no matter how hard I try to diffuse, my eyes still undergo central fixation.  So it's much harder at a close distance because your eyes are so used to functioning correctly at that level.

Paul

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - Daniel - 10-22-2007

Okay, I may have to backpeddle a bit here.  For a mild to moderate myope first trying to make their sight worse voluntarily to demonstrate how it happens, it may indeed be best to place the book at the farthest point at which it is clear.  Because there, the least amount of myopia would have to be induced, so it would be easiest.  Hopefully when you get the hang of it you can create even more myopia, and remove any doubt that it is genuine.

I had been thinking in terms of myself, with about seven diopters of myopia, thus having a short accommodative range (I guess that's what it's called.)  But someone with less myopia may have several inches where things appear clear, and the amount of myopia needed to blur them would vary considerably.   

Again, I would suggest picking a word and staring at it.  Don't move your eyes.  If that doesn't increase your nearsightedness, find a longer word and look at it without moving your eyes.  If that doesn't work pick two words and try to look at them both at once without moving.  And again, it may help to try to push the text away using only your eyes. 

If none of that works after spending some time on it, you might try actually moving the text just in and out of clarity for a while, so that perhaps you can notice (even subconsciously) the difference in how you're viewing it.

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - Daniel - 10-26-2007

One other thing that might help:  When looking at something close, sometimes I find that my eyes diverge, meaning they separate.  Bringing them back together (converging), while keeping my focus on the same point, seems to blur my vision for a moment.  This kind of thing might help you to learn how to make your sight worse voluntarily.

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - Daniel - 11-06-2007

And maybe it would be easier to move the book back to where it appears somewhat blurry and try to make it blurrier, by the aforementioned methods.  As I recall, I figured out how to increase my myopia while moving a book just in and out of clarity. 

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - otis - 11-12-2007

Dear Jason,

What an exellent idea.

Quote:Do you know what technique Bates thought was the best way of improving eyesight? By straining your eyes and making your vision WORSE!

I did not think of this until Bates made his statement that
if you are at 20/70 -- and wear a strong minus lens
ALL THE TIME -- in short order your visual-acuity
will be at 20/200.

The minus is "sold" because it IMPRESSES the un-wary.

So the question is this -- does the minus (over-prescribed)
have an "effect" on the refreactive STATUS of the
completely normal eye.

The answer is easy.  Since I don't want to "hurt" your
(or my) eyes, I simply take a strong -3 dipoter lens
and put it on a population of normal MONKEY eyes.

(Human experimentation would PROHIBIT this type
of experiment.)

OK, so what happens?  (From a SCIENTIFIC perspective???)

Simple!  The natural eye simply move rapidly in the
nearsighted direction.  In fact, they will change
by -2 diopters in six months -- if worn "... all the time".

Thus Bates was right about that minus lens. 

Yes it works "instantly" -- but in the long-run it
only makes your refractive STATE "worse".

And if you want a graphic picture of how to make
your refractive STATE go DOWN, check out this site:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.geocities.com/soonicansee/">http://www.geocities.com/soonicansee/</a><!-- m -->

Best,

Otis

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - cheletwin2 - 11-14-2007

funny thing, i see more clearly when i try this!  LOL i must be doing something wrong (or right).  i can easily make letters appear further away, and they become clearer, making them more grey was impossible.

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - David - 11-14-2007

cheletwin2 Wrote:funny thing, i see more clearly when i try this!  LOL i must be doing something wrong (or right).  i can easily make letters appear further away, and they become clearer, making them more grey was impossible.

That's the tricky part. The thing is, everyone with poor vision has it somewhat backwards, and they often continue to have it backwards as they try to recover their vision. They do the opposite of what is required to focus at certain distances. Bates remarked on it a couple times in his book. People think they're straining when they're really straining less, and they think they're relaxed when they're really straining more. They try to make their eyes more free and mobile but in trying to do so end up gripping their eyes and over-controlling more than ever. They try to "centralize" and in the effort to do so end up straining to see, focusing backwards.

There's really no figuring it out by thinking about it - you just have to stumble over the truth enough times (have clear flashes and periods of worse vision than ever) that you take notice of what you're doing.

David

Re: Let's make our sight WORSE! - Daniel - 11-14-2007

cheletwin2 Wrote:funny thing, i see more clearly when i try this!  LOL i must be doing something wrong (or right).  i can easily make letters appear further away, and they become clearer, making them more grey was impossible.

If you're nearsighted and want to practice making your sight worse, I would suggest getting a book or something with text, and spending some time moving it (with your hands) just in and out of clarity.  You may notice, even subconsciously, a subtle difference in how you're viewing it.  Then, at a distance where it is just slightly blurry, but you can still read it, diverge your eyes, looking at one point, then, keeping your focus on that point, converge.  When I do that my myopia increases significantly for a moment.  Perhaps that will give you the feel for it, and then maybe you can do it without diverging and converging.

Daniel