MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Eye exercises - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Eye exercises - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Eye exercises (/showthread.php?tid=392)

Eye exercises - ahsanalishahid - 05-31-2007

Dear friends!!!

I have to ask some questions,  first tell me how many exercises does bates method have?  please describe briefly how to do them?  especially shifting and edging.

My eye prescription is  -3.5  and i m shortsighted.

Plz tell me ASAP

Thanks

Re: Eye exercises - Kazekage - 05-31-2007

Firstly, keep in mind...:

Exercises are used in order to demonstrate the principles, which are involved in the correction of habits.

The main purpose of exercises is to improve understanding of the principles and rectify abnormal habits.

=====================================

The Cure of Imperfect Sight involves three main exercises:

-Palming: Close your eyes and cross palms of hands over eyes.

-Sunning: Close eyes and look at the sun. Sway head lightly from side to side.

-Central Fixation: Observe that you can see one small point best. (CF is the same as 'centralization' BTW.)

-Card Practice: Read the card every day, and practice the other techniques on the letters(shifting, memory etc.)

-Memory: Use your memory to improve your sight. Remember perfectly = See perfectly.

-Imagination: Use your imagination to improve your sight. Imagine perfectly = See perfectly.

-Shifting: Rapidly moving the attention between small points, observing the apparent movement.

Done correctly, this is the best way to rest the eyes. Normal eyes are always doing this.

-Long Swinging: Stand up, swing body from side to side, observe the apparent movement. (Or imagine it.)

-Short Swinging: Swinging where objects appear to move an inch or less.

-Edging: Using your eyes to follow an edge within your view - not necessarily a straight edge. I'm not sure whether Bates developed this technique, or one of his successors. Effective cure for astigmatism.

----------------------

Principles:

-Centralization: Focused at a small point.

-Movement: When centralized, rapidly shifting between points.

-Relaxation: You know what I mean...

The principles also have different, abstract meanings. For example, when you see with central fixation, you also feel centralized (in your mind). Movement itself applies to everything you do. We cannot survive without movement. Relaxation is the state in which we are able to function best.

Therefore, our eyes function best in a state of relaxation, movement, and centralization. Don't forget this!.

----------------------

Habits:

-Breathing: Linked to relaxation.

-Blinking: Linked to movement and relaxation.

-Shifting: Linked to movement, relaxation, and centralization.

Correct habits and correct principles are key to rapid vision improvement - and they will complement each other. Soon enough it will all be second nature and you will have learnt the art of seeing.

=====================================

Re: Eye exercises - apavel - 05-31-2007

A large bulk are here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.php/board,5.0.html">http://www.iblindness.org/forum/index.p ... d,5.0.html</a><!-- m -->
Most you can find in the free online books: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.iblindness.org/intro/howtobegin.html">http://www.iblindness.org/intro/howtobegin.html</a><!-- m -->

There are hundreds of other resources as well.

My suggestion to you:  Don't do the "exercises", but read the free online books and understand the theory behind them.  Blindly performing exercises will get you nowhere...believe me many people tried.

Also:  We like to call them "techniques" to develop correct visual habits.

good luck

Re: Eye exercises - Otter - 05-31-2007

How does card practice help with improving vision?

The eye chart is the only way i can achieve notable visual relaxation.  Palming and sunning dont' do much for me.
When I usually start eye chart practice my eyesight is about 20/50; when I finish it's about 20/15.  You know your visual system has achieved a deeper level of relaxation and focus when you notice this improvement.  Unfortunately this improvement does not last long after the technique, but I notice that my eyesight is gradually getting clearer.  This is the process of temporary visual relaxation become permanent.

It's not just a matter of reading the eyechart.  The eye chart is a tool, which you can use to practice good visual habits.  It is your "football field" where you can practice central fixation, imagination, memory, shifting, swinging, etc...  (imagination and memory being the two important ones).  Not to mention the fact that you "master" he eye chart and become accustomed to reading them. 

Re: Eye exercises - Jason - 06-03-2007

Paul, you're right on!  Smile I'm a little afraid of the eye chart sometimes LOL but nevertheless I've experienced very notable clear flashes by working with the chart. And Bates once said that if you can see the Snellen test card with normal vision, you can see almost anything else in the world!

Jason

Re: Eye exercises - otis - 06-03-2007

Dear Jason,

The Snellen is indeed to gold-standard for vision.

If you have a -3.5 dioper prescription, but can
read the 20/70 line on the Snellen, I would
BELIEVE the Snellen, and not  the over-prescribed
minus lens.

In any even, the range of ACCEPTABLE visual acuities is
from 20/70 (Florida) to 20/40 (Most of the States).

If you are working to pass the DMV, then it is
wise to get comfortable to occassionally checking
the Snellen yourself.

If you pass the DMV, and an OD prescribes a -2 diopter lens,
then I would think you should believe your Snellen,
and NOT the -2 diopter prescription.

Just one man's opinion.

Otis

Re: Eye exercises - Jason - 06-04-2007

Otis,

My prescription is -3.5 in my left eye and -3.75 in my right eye. But I can only read 20/400 on the Snellen.

Lately I've noticed that my vision slowly improves immediately after standing 10 feet in front of the Snellen and simply noticing that all the letters are blurry in a passive way.

I agree that making yourself familiar with the card is important if you're trying to pass the DMV. I'm only 15 and might learn to drive sometime soon, so I should learn to not be afraid of the Snellen. And if I decide I want to drive when I'm 16, then I'd better improve my vision, since I can barely see the giant 200 letter at 10 feet!  Tongue

Jason

Re: Eye exercises - otis - 06-04-2007

Dear Jason,

One person posting here had a -3.75 diopter lens, but
could read the 20/80 line on the Snellen.  He is
over-prescribed.

A -4 diopter lens will usuallly mean a Snellen
of 70 x 4 = 280.

Or 20/280 vision.

You are not over-prescribed.

I would continue with Bates, and posting here to find
out how much you can improve your vision.

Best,

Otis

Re: Eye exercises - ahsanalishahid - 06-04-2007

Dear Otis,  I can read only the biggest letter present on snellen from 10 feet. If u can tell me that can i improve my vision completely in 1 year?

Re: Eye exercises - otis - 06-04-2007

Dear ahsanalishahid,

Subject:  -3.5 diopters and ??? Snellen.

I am not certain you are reading your Snellen correctly.

Because -3.5 diopters would be about 20/250 on your
Snellen.

Perhaps you could measure the size of the letter,
just to check this.  Also, again check your
minus-lens prescription.  20/400 works out
to be about -5.5 diopters.

Best,

Otis