MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
foundation of imagination - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
foundation of imagination - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: foundation of imagination (/showthread.php?tid=407)

foundation of imagination - anonym - 06-07-2007

In his article “A Study of Imagination� by Dr. Bates, he describes what he callls “the foundation test.�

Dr. Bates describes his sessions with patients as he guides them in finding what he calls the foundation of their imagination. For instance, the patient “took as the foundation of imagination the memory of the letter’o’ ,,, with a white center as white as snow and the letter moving from side to side a short distance, not more than its own width.� Note that Dr. Bates says, “She took,� implying that the patient choose or selected the “foundation� of her own treatment.

Dr. Bates than recounts his dialogue with the patient as he guides her imperfect imagination. With the “foundation� of her imagination the letter “o�, Dr. Bates asks the patient a series of questions: can she see this, can she see that, all of which she cannot see. He then asks her if she can imagine the light from a window at the same time that she imagines the letter “o�. She says she can do that. Now, he says, imagine there is no window, can you still imagine the “o�. The patient learns that when she can imagine the truth (the window is there), she can imagine the “o� perfectly, but when her imagination is mistaken (the window she imagines not there, really is there), she loses her perfect imagination of the “o’ that served as the "foundation". The dialogue for this session continues, but you can read it for yourself in our on-line library.

Dr. Bates says, “The foundation test is usually very variable. ... Some patients require a different foundation test from others. Rarely do I find many people who use the same foundation test. In some cases the imagination cure is more efficient when the patient regards the foundation of his imagination rather than when he remembers or imagines it.� The patient looks at the Snellen “with the foundation at a distance at which he sees it best� and imagines one side of the letter. Imagined correctly, the patient, Dr. Bates says, “will see that the reaction of the foundation is normal, or in other words, “he has imagined one side of the unknown letter at twenty feet with his imagination of the foundation at a near point where he sees it best. When all four sides are imagined correctly it helps the patient to tell or imagine what the letter is, which is confirmed by the reaction of the foundation at a near point. In some cases, what a patient imagines of the four sides of the unknown letter at twenty feet, might be the same for two or more letters. The letter "B" has four sides which resemble the four sides of the letter "D". If he imagines it to be a letter "B" correctly the foundation reaction will be more perfect than if he imagines it to be a letter "D" which is incorrect. Some times all four sides are open as is the case with the letters A, I, V, W, X, Y. When the letter is imagined correctly the reaction of the foundation is always best.�

In this one article Dr. Bates uses the term “foundation�  eleven times. “By this,� says Dr. Bates, “and other methods, patients .... accomplish unusual results.�

I am suggesting that what Dr. Bates calls the “foundation test� may have been his core method for facilitating rapid progress for so many patients amd the first method he employed in every “imagination cure�.

Can anyone point directly to other references to “foundation of imagination� or “the foundation test� elsewhere in the available Bates’ corpus? I am interested to open this topic for discussion in order to learn about other Bates practitioners’ experiments utilizing a “foundation of imagination�.

Re: foundation of imagination - anonym - 06-08-2007

What struck me in Dr. Bates’ discussion of  “foundation testing�, is his use of a series of objects of imagination in combination with each patient’s own  “foundation of imagination�. His patients ascertained perfect imagination by assisting them in imagining both true and false objects simultaneously.

By juxtaposing both true and false objects of imagination with the “foundation� object, the patients were able to experience perfect imagination. As a result, his patients were able to clearly see the “foundation�, and this Dr. Bates calls the “reaction of the foundation�.

And, importantly, it seems to me, Dr. Bates is demonstrating how it is possible to hold more than one object in the imagination simultaneously. This clarifies for me how different is imagination than concentration. Concentration directs the attention to a single object, whereas the imagination is a quality of the active mind.

When imagination is true and conforms to reality, the “foundation� (an object known with certainty to be true) is seen clearly. When imagination is false, clear sight of the “foundation� is lost. Thus,  Dr. Bates proves that when imagination true and perfect, concomitantly, quality of vision is clear and unlimited.

Therefore, I conclude that we are slower than Dr. Bates’ patients in clearing our vision because often when we think we are using our imagination, we are actually concentrating (mentally staring).

Re: foundation of imagination - David - 06-08-2007

Hmm, I saw a couple other posts in this thread earlier. I'm not sure what happened to them, but in case the posters didn't delete their own messages, I just wanted to alert you that I didn't either and invite you to post again (and contact me if they appeared to get deleted on their own).

David

Yes, I saw Kaze's and Otis' posts earlier also. But I have not figured out how to edit (nevermind delete) even my own message postings.

Re: foundation of imagination - David - 06-08-2007

Well I have "modify" and "delete" buttons above each post, but I'm the administrator and I don't think everyone has them on their posts, at least not after a certain amount of time.

David

Re: foundation of imagination - Kazekage - 06-08-2007

Haha, I deleted my post because I thought it was kind of useless - I didn't manage to find any mention of the foundation test by Dr. Bates. Otis then replied to me, but deleted his message too. (I think.) I know it sounds silly but I like keeping this forum 'tidy' LOL. So unless my post has some value I like to delete it.

The 'edit' and 'delete' buttons appear above your recent posts when you are logged in. After a short time (I guess about a week) I think you are disallowed from editing or deleting the post, and the only button you will see available is 'quote'. I think both admin and users are given these abilities the same way.

I'm not sure why the 'simple machines' company decided to design their forums in this way. Probably so that you won't be able to fake not posting and so on (which can be very fun).

By the way Catherine, this is very interesting stuff. I think you're really getting onto something major here. (There hasn't been many replies yet, but I guess everyone is too baffled by it, loll. It doesn't mean we're not interested) Wink

Hello, dear Kaze,

I caught your meaning right away when you said you had done high-speed "photoreading", i.e., you searched the electronic and other available Bates texts, for "foundation of imagination", etc. Your time and trouble taken is much appreciated by me!

All the best, Catherine

Re: foundation of imagination - apavel - 06-08-2007

Kaze is familiar with photoreading?  by Paul Sheele?

Btw I was just about to post too but you guys deleted your posts so I didn't Big Grin

Re: foundation of imagination - otis - 06-09-2007

Dear Vision-restoration friends,

Subject:  Creative, scientific imagination.

I think it is essential to science that we develop new
concepts and ideas.

I think that the "standard" OD is stuck in his office
with the idea that if he makes your vision, very VERY sharp
in five minutes -- he is PERFECT.

He then jumps to the conclusion that since he is PERFECT,
then his method is "science"

and ALL OTHER METHODS
ARE FALSE SCIENCE.

I strong object to that concept.  It blocks his imagination
to see alternative (preventive) methods that could
be effective in clearing your Snellen from
20/80 to pass all the DMV tests.

This is of course the "challenge" set up by Bates
in 1913.

I would like to see an effort where the kids and
parents are educated FIRST, and the, use
their own Snellen and verify their clearing
by THEIR reading of their Snellen.

Bates insists it is possible.  Why are'nt we doing it?

Just one man's question.

Otis