MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
MyBB Internal: One or more warnings occurred. Please contact your administrator for assistance.
Eye pressure - Printable Version
Eyesight Improvement Forum
Eye pressure - Printable Version

+- Eyesight Improvement Forum (https://www.iblindness.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Bates Method (https://www.iblindness.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Eye pressure (/showthread.php?tid=411)

Eye pressure - Otter - 06-09-2007

When I went to the eye doctor a while ago, he said he was putting eye drops into my eye that would reduce eye pressure.  He said that eye pressure causes glaucoma.  Is it possible, with the bates method, to reduce eye pressure?  And are the drops bad?

Re: Eye pressure - NoBones - 06-10-2007

otis Wrote:If you are young, you probably do not have glaucoma

I would continue to work with your eye doctor on this.  Look:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic333.htm">http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic333.htm</a><!-- m -->

As to the drops, most people who are prescribed anti-glaucoma eye drops use them long-term.  There are harmful preservatives in many of these eye drops that should be avoided.  If you need to use anti-glaucoma drops for a long period, you should ask your doctor to prescribe a brand that is preservative-free.

Re: Eye pressure - otis - 06-10-2007

Dear Otter,

Subject: Did the doctor SAY you have glaucoma?

Are you taking prescribed drops (or drugs) for your glaucoma.

When I went to the eye doctor a while ago, he said he was putting eye drops into my eye that would reduce eye pressure.

He said that eye pressure causes glaucoma. 

Otis> That is correct.

Is it possible, with the bates method, to reduce eye pressure?

Otis> Most medical people will say no.

And are the drops bad?

Otis> If you have pressure of 30mm, then you must get the pressure
down.  It is not clear what your pressure is.  The OD is required to
make this measurement of pressure, and notify you of it.
He will use a "drop" so he can measure the pressure.  However that
"drop", is ONLY for measurement.  Treatment (if you have it)
is a separate issue.

Best,

Otis

Re: Eye pressure - apavel - 06-10-2007

I've heard of many recoveries from gaucoma with the Bates method.  As far as I remember, palming is the most important exercise in that regard.

Re: Eye pressure - NoBones - 06-10-2007

If it were me and they said I had glaucoma at a young age, I'd keep working with the eye docs.  That doesn't mean I'd automatically use the drug they gave me.  I might try some alternative cures, but I'd still want to know if my pressure was going up or down or staying the same.

Trust but verify!

Re: Eye pressure - apavel - 06-10-2007

Otter how old are you?  I am just curious because the chances of acquiring glaucoma greatly vary with age.

Re: Eye pressure - Otter - 06-10-2007

im 16 the doctor said my eye pressure wsa high

Re: Eye pressure - otis - 06-10-2007

Dear Otter,

At your age, it would be very rare to have serious
glaucoma.

Mistakes are made in these measurements.

I would suggest the following.

Ask the optometrist for the numerical value
for your eye-pressure.  Write it down.

Then contact another doctor to obtain a
second-opinion.

From memory, pressure below 19 mm is normal.
(Maybe someone else can check.)

Are you taking prescribed drops on a regular
basis for you glaucoma?

Best,

Otis

Re: Eye pressure - Otter - 06-10-2007

It was at an eye exam 4 years ago that he gave me a drop in each eye.  The visits after that, he said my eye pressure was normal. No i don't have glaucoma and i dont take drugs for them on a regular basis.

Re: Eye pressure - Otter - 06-12-2007

How are the drops bad?